My Compound Build /// B4v

NoJoke

Veteran Member
OK! Been wanting to start a thread for a long time and finally got all the parts together.

There has been many different directions taken in this project but I'm going to break this down without writing life stories:p.

Team:

Whitbread(Fabbing, Mechanic, Manager);
Rub87(Consultant,Engineer,Tuner);
Shortysclimbing(Consultant, Performance Supplier);
RyanP(Parts Consultant, Importer);
tdiclub forum and many other supporting vendors

Car: 97 B4v GLX
Started as a VR6 wagon but converted by 94x(many thanks!)

Goal: 320+ HP

Engine & Specs: ALH with

-1/2" girdle
-4bar map
-Rosten Rods with squirter built in
-Titanium Wrist Pins
-Shorty's ASV's lowered compression/coated
-Total seal gapless 2nd rings
-Shorty's larger valves
-dual springs
-titanium retainers
-TDImeister's Cam
-PD lifters
-Ported by Shorty
-11mm/12mm head pump
-Stage 6 Nicktane nozzles
-Aeromotive pump or equivalent
-Everything compatible from ARP is used

Turbo's: The fun:D part again compound setup...
LP flows 55-60% more than the HP

HP - GTB2056VK everyone is familiar with this one

LP - B/W Bullseye S247 38mm wastegated

Map

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=71213&title=s247-with-s&cat=4963

Photo's

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=71211&title=s247compressor&cat=4963

45mm external wastegate

The motivation for this project is semi experimental/show car to see what's going to happen as this combination is new. There has been hours of conversations; 100's of emails/PM's regarding the setup above and putting it together. Advice and comments are always welcomed.

Hope its entertaining and a learning experience for all of us.:)

Last edited:

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
Good luck with the build!
This is going to be a hard road to travel however the road less traveled can and will be very rewarding.
Try not to be discouraged by some of nay sayers of compound turbo builds. If it was easy we would all be doing it.
This is a great website however we tend to stick to the norm. I always like to see people on this site pushing the envelope.
looking forward to some results.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Gus,

Cant wait to see the build progress, a few nice parts are on the way soon!

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
what did you pay for the wastegate? If I were to buy one I think I would have gone for the synapse..

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
I didnt know Rosten started rifling his rods...he said he couldnt do it before. Good to know!

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Waiting to see the package. B4 Passats are awesome, done up Variants even more so.

NoJoke

Veteran Member
Its hard to predict what's going to happen because of so many variables.

We can only calculate how much boost we need to achieve 320hp which is 40lbs/2.75bar of boost at 5k rpm. With the s247 alone we can achieve 300hp smokefree at 4k rpm. Even though some figures may be contradicting we are looking a P/R of 3.7.

Last edited:

NoJoke

Veteran Member
Thanks for the positive comments!!!

The block is being bored out to fit the ASV's the head I purchased built up complete from Shortysclimbin; that'll save time. I believe Matt is working on the exhaust manifold and also informed me about a Syncro:D setup; I'm currently trying to source.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
I'm very sad about the ALH, but very happy about the syncro info Gus! Matt's the perfect guy for getting an exhaust to fit with a syncro installation.

Happy Thanksgiving!

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
A built-up B4V TDI Syncro would simply be insane :D Don't forget the 6-speed ;)

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Will need a good actuator is you don't want it to seize with over 2bar on such a large surface :)

NoJoke

Veteran Member
Thanks for the positive comments gentlemen.

Looks like I gotta start with an 02M 1.8t TT transmission(swap gears) to the transfer case(17/27) which will turn the syncro prop shaft to the haldex rear controlled by an electronic standalone.

I'm excited to see what happens with the compound system just hope Matt keeps on schedule:p.

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
Thanks for the positive comments gentlemen.

Looks like I gotta start with an 02M 1.8t TT transmission(swap gears) to the transfer case(17/27) which will turn the syncro prop shaft to the haldex rear controlled by an electronic standalone.

I'm excited to see what happens with the compound system just hope Matt keeps on schedule:p.
That's how I built Dan's trans. Works perfect. The haldex rear end out of an R32/TT shouldn't be too hard to find. Are the cheaper mechanical controllers not easily found?

Schedule is a term I don't like to use on a build this extensive.... I think "goal" fits a bit better :p