EGR disabled via VAG-COM; CCV still needed?

Deception

Veteran Member
I have my EGR shut off using a VAG-COM adaptation code, and I am wondering if I still need to do a CCV bypass or not?

Thanks!

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
I had the same thing done, and my understanding is (from speaking with several people who know far more than me about this) that doing a CCV mod would be ideal, but the EGR mod plus using Delvac-1 goes an extremely long way in avoiding oil-soot sludge.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Deception

IMHO...Having the CCV addressed as well as the EGR is a sound practice. Addressing the CCV will help to keep your inter-cooler clear as well as the air baffel (this is the tube between the turbo & the inter-cooler).

Herm

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
I agree with Herm. And, to answer your question, doing the EGR VAG-COM mod has no effect whatsoever on anything the CCV does (right, technically minded others?)

My problem with a CCV mod is there are so many variations on it that I don't know which is the most effective. I also want something that requires the least attention from me after it's done.

What would other folks suggest?

TDI Believer

Responsible For Global Warming
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
I would recommend doing the VAG-COM EGR mod, leave the CCV intact, and run an oil with low NOACK volatility. Delvac-1 is a good choice. I think the Amsoil 10W-40 has lower volatility. (isn't this right oil gurus?)

Deception

Veteran Member
Hmmm thanks for the tips everybody.
I haven't read any guides on how to do the CCV bypass yet, is it difficult at all? I am comfortable working on my own engine, but are there really many variations on how to do the CCV bypass? Or should I just leave it alone? I know the EGR probably does more "sooting" to the piping than the CCV, right?

TDI
futuresint
Hello, I am new at all of this... I have experienced some very poor service from a few dealers in my area. I have now decided to take matters into my own hands and have purchased the Vag-Com, Bently CD and Manual and am now in the process of cleaning my Intake manifold (which is pretty well loaded with junk)... Local dealers know nothing about this problem (so they say), my power was that of towing a very heavy load (up hill).
Where does one learn how to use the vag-com unit,
IE, I would like to see where my timing is at but don't know what buttons to push to get that information, etc.

The first and only code that I found so far was "EGR intermitant".
Also, how does one go about "bypassing the egr" ??

I'll get the hang of it eventually !!

Deception

Veteran Member
Originally posted by bigjim:
Hey, you are spending too much $ for fuel at that gas station.......
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">??

Anyways, Mass. Wine Guy: So the EGR disabling from the VAG-COM has nothing to do with the crankcase vent (CCV) system right?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The TDIFAQ will get you started on the EGR adaptation. VAG-COM is somewhat self-explanatory on most things, but if you really want to get somewhere, you also need the Bentley shop manual for your vehicle. Whenever the Bentley shop manual says to use the dealer's diagnostic tool, you can use the VAG-COM for the same thing and it's done the same way.

Coolin

TDI
Passat Wagon 2005 Silverstone Grey
I'm curious how altering the EGR will affect emissions?

Has any one from BC gone through the AirCare program we have in place here with their EGR disabled? Did you pass?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
They don't check NOx for diesels, they only check for black smoke, and if anything, there should be less smoke with less EGR being used. That's the way Drive Clean is in Ontario, and I think Air Care (a.k.a. AirScare ... no nickname for ours yet!) is the same.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Originally posted by GoFaster:
They don't check NOx for diesels, they only check for black smoke, and if anything, there should be less smoke with less EGR being used. That's the way Drive Clean is in Ontario, and I think Air Care (a.k.a. AirScare ... no nickname for ours yet!) is the same.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

How about 'Dry Clean' for a nickname instead of Drive Clean, as in no sooted up combustion products being reintroduced into the system?

Bob Novak

Veteran Member
Originally posted by Mass. Wine Guy:
I agree with Herm. And, to answer your question, doing the EGR VAG-COM mod has no effect whatsoever on anything the CCV does (right, technically minded others?)

My problem with a CCV mod is there are so many variations on it that I don't know which is the most effective. I also want something that requires the least attention from me after it's done.

What would other folks suggest?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Elephant hose...
Very simple and effective

Bob

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Originally posted by WVWSP61:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by GoFaster:
That's the way Drive Clean is in Ontario, and I think Air Care (a.k.a. AirScare ... no nickname for ours yet!) is the same.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

How about 'Dry Clean' for a nickname instead of Drive Clean, as in no sooted up combustion products being reintroduced into the system?
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">... or Dry Clean, as in they get to take you to the cleaner's every 2 years
I like it! (actually I don't, but that's another matter)

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
Originally posted by Futures International:
Where does one learn how to use the vag-com unit
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Teh Vag-Com site has a small tutorial at vag-com tour

And they also answer the question, "Is there anything else I need to make full use of VAG-COM?" by saying (edited): get the Bentley OFFICIAL FACTORY REPAIR MANUAL, not "just" the Service Manual. Details at Get this stuff also.....

(FWIW..i don't have a vag-com yet)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
My personal preference is to do the CCV mod along with the EGR mod so that you don't get any oil and blah blah in the intercooler. I just have a hose running from the CCV outlet in the valve cover to the underside of the car, open-air vent, no traps, tanks, or filters required.
Very simple, works great, no problems in the past 30,000 miles of having it.

**DONOTDELETE**

Elsewhere on the board it's been mentioned that the turbo needs the CCV oil for lubrication. Is there a grain of truth to that?