vr6 5 lug swap help, car being crushed tommorow.

sho_tyme

TDI
jetta 98
As stated I know this been asked 1000 times and think ive read all of them. Im going to go tommorow to try to get all of this. Question1, can I just unbolt the rear at outside instead whole thing if cant get it to drop. Front im just getting spindals and caliper. From what I understand ball joints only thing differnt to get right offset. Im going to replace all tierods/balljoints and rotors. Ahh and new axels. So is this all I need? Also getting master cylinder car has abs so can I use just that, im sure it a bigger bore I can T or add a adj valve if need be. I have tried to read all I can today. I checked to see when it was on chop block they said tommorow O GREAT. So any help greatly y
thanked. Also any ideas on tools, mainly torx think got the rest. Thanks again.

deecee

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Tornado Red, 99.5 Golf ALH, 2002 Jetta ALH
I have been planning to do a write up of my recent 5 lug swap but I have been too busy working 7 days.

Anyway, for the rear you just need to change out your rotors for 5 lug ones, that's it, the calipers are the same on the rear.

For the front you want the spindle and caliper/carrier and if you are replacing everything else that is it. If the axles are OEM I would get those. I put cheapo ones on until I get time to rebuild cv joints and they are not good.

sho_tyme

TDI
jetta 98
Thanks for the reply. I got front spindles and one caliper and bracket. It looked to be brand new before the hauled in the other looked rough and missing bracket. I have drum on rears so I also need the prop valve off the back correct? I plan get the spindles and brackets from the rear also. Calipers are rough so ill just order new.. pull part starting get little crazy on there pricing not near deal it used to be.

sho_tyme

TDI
jetta 98
Looking to do the 12.3" front from TT. Just confused on some of it. If reading right all I need is caliper/bracket and rotor on my vr6 front spindles? Ahhh this stuff goin melt my brain.

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
For the front you want the spindle and caliper/carrier and if you are replacing everything else that is it.
Um, actually you also need the longer VR6 axles and the front control arms in addition to the other bits already mentioned.

sho_tyme

TDI
jetta 98
Um, actually you also need the longer VR6 axles and the front control arms in addition to the other bits already mentioned.
Going to buy new axels,I have the stubs but was told that puts them in bind just using ends. Also the ball joints what differnt and im ordering new. Deecee had right im just buying rest new.

TDIDaveNH

TDI
Not only is the ball joint radically different where it meets the spindle, there are very subtle differences where it attaches to the lower control arms, thus necessitating the need for the VR6 LCAs. Some would argue that the hole spacing difference between the two styles can be overcome by the creative use of a hand drill, but that all depends on your definition of craftsmanship.

sho_tyme

TDI
jetta 98
Is it different between jetta and passat or vr6 and everything. And I am very good with a dremal.lol. think I bathe take my chances using mine with half know history then some used ones rusted off unknown car. Not sure on them when look up all list for same part. Does vw list different part#s? I plan new bushings balljoints and picking the alignment guy when he does it. But all means school me this is all new stuff to me and I literally started compiling all this basic info . When all done just hope it stops, lol.

sho_tyme

TDI
jetta 98
Managed to get the rear spindles off. Only lost a chunk of my ring finger. How important do you guys think the rear dust sheilds are. I did not get them, they were like $11 peice and to ruff of shape. One was rusted so bad could prob broke off. On positive note management charged them as balljoints so I got both for $9 after enviro fee. Also got prop valve. The slow part journey continues.

Last edited:

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
How important do you gurs see rear dust sheilds? I disng get them one they were like $11 peice two ruff shape one rusted so bad could prob broke off. On pos note mng charged them as balljoints so got both for $9 after enviro fee.
I think I know what you're saying, but I have to interject here man, the above sentences are just horrible :eek:, not that I'm a grammar scholar. The guys in foreign countries have clearer and more understandable English and yours wouldn't even pass through the redneck translator. If you're typing on a phone while driving, it can wait until you can type better, this is nothing that's that pressing.

The rear dust shields aren't essential and I have been running without one since it rusted through the mount before I got the car, so I just cut it off to avoid the banging and clanging. They will keep the road grime off the rotor so it'll extend the life of the rotor, pads, and caliper, but it isn't completely essential for operation. I used to remove them on my off-road vehicles since they'd just hold dirt and were easier to clean with them removed, but the VW isn't an off-road vehicle.

If you can, put them back on. Your brakes will thank you later.

sho_tyme

TDI
jetta 98
I think I know what you're saying, but I have to interject here man, the above sentences are just horrible :eek:, not that I'm a grammar scholar. The guys in foreign countries have clearer and more understandable English and yours wouldn't even pass through the redneck translator. If you're typing on a phone while driving, it can wait until you can type better, this is nothing that's that pressing.
The rear dust shields aren't essential and I have been running without one since it rusted through the mount before I got the car, so I just cut it off to avoid the banging and clanging. They will keep the road grime off the rotor so it'll extend the life of the rotor, pads, and caliper, but it isn't completely essential for operation. I used to remove them on my off-road vehicles since they'd just hold dirt and were easier to clean with them removed, but the VW isn't an off-road vehicle.
If you can, put them back on. Your brakes will thank you later.
Sorry fixed. I dont type and drive but when use phone with keyboard and top comes down I cant see what I post. That by far was worst I had ever typed. May try downloading taptalk or something on to make easier.
That said ill prob leave off or try make my own out sheet of stainless. I hope to be moved out Indiana before salt hits roads again. And if not ill keep it off road. I plan to replace all bushings and paint rearend and spindels with por15 or equivalent. Question I do have is what mastercylinder. They say use vr6 antilock but they only have 2 ports. Just hope all pays off in the end.

TDIDaveNH

TDI
In the two 5 lug conversions I have done I left the master cylinder alone. The piston diameter between the Lucas (4 lug) and ATE (5 lug) front calipers is actually the same. I could be mistaken, but my car stops just fine with the original master. The improvement in braking capability will be worth the trouble you are going through and it will make you realize how much of a safety hazard the 4 lug brakes really were.

Also, instead of using 280mm front rotors, you can go with 288mm and still be fine on clearance.

Last edited:

sho_tyme

TDI
jetta 98
In the two 5 lug conversions I have done I left the master cylinder alone. The piston diameter between the Lucas (4 lug) and ATE (5 lug) front calipers is actually the same. I could be mistaken, but my car stops just fine with the original master. The improvement in braking capability will be worth the trouble you are going through and it will make you realize how much of a safety hazard the 4 lug brakes really were.

Also, instead of using 280mm front rotors, you can go with 288mm and still be fine on clearance.
Thanks. I will try first my mc and if not feel right will look for alternative. Think there a few mm differnt between the years and the recommended on is only 2port instead 4port. But like said there just single piston caliper hoping mine will work. Actually going with the 312mm fronts I have buy all new so going to order tt caliper setup. Also from reading the mk4 rear caliper will also work on our setup. Like said hope it be able stop with a small trailer or camper with no problems. Thanks for replies.