2microntech - Helping to Keep Your Common Rail VW Alive!!

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Any word on how these kits affect warranty or are they easily removed?

Which one of these 2 kits protects from the replacement of the HPFP?

Thanks,
They are easily removed, but I am not certain that you would want to remove them. If you remove them and the mechanic (wherever) tries to crank the engine, all of the harm they are designed to prevent will occur and it will have been a waste if money to install these mods in the first place.

As for the warranty, it probably depends on the dealer. However, these mods would certainly give the dealership an easy excuse to deny warranty coverage. So far, nobody has had an HPFP failure with these modifications installed. We all hope that we are not the first.

Neither kit will prevent the HPFP from failing or protect it from replacement. Both kits are designed to minimize the collateral damage caused by lots of little pieces of metal getting spread throughout the entire fuel system if/when the HPFP fails. Now, when an HPFP fails the entire fuel system (from the tank to the injectors) is being replaced. If these kits work as designed, all that will need to be replaced is the HPFP itself, a fuel filter, and a few feet of fuel line. In other words a $1,000 dollar repair bill instead of an $8,000 repair bill (numbers are approximate).

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

2micron

Vendor
TDI
None
Any word on how these kits affect warranty or are they easily removed?

Which one of these 2 kits protects from the replacement of the HPFP?

Thanks,
Hello superskid, It would be wise to wait until after warranty before installing these kits.
The kits are certainly easy to remove, however, if you remove the kits after an HPFP failure, you risk any residual contamination within the internals of the pump, now being allowed to enter the rest of your system, the first time the pumps are cycled. Example - after bieing towed to the mechanic, the first thing will likely be attempting to start the car, sending the contamination into the unprotected system.
This will defeat the original intent of the kits.
The other concern about removing the kits is the fact that the pump failure will happen at the most inconvenient time, not allowing a safe location to remove the kits.
Please understand, these kits do not prevent a pump failure.
Combined, they simply contain the failed pump contamination from entering your fuel system.
The Contain Flow kit protects your low pressure components (Fuel Tank, lift pump, auxiliary pump, lines, temperature sensor, and filter housing), via a 1 or 2 Micron filter.
The Pure Flow kit protects your High Pressure components (injectors, rail, pressure sensor, pressure solenoid and high pressure lines), via a mechanical separation device, installed within the pump.
Combined, Both these kits protect your entire fuel system, requiring only a new HPFP, filter and of course a proper timing belt service, after an unfortunate pump failure.
The kits are offered separately, to allow us to add the amount of protection we can afford, in stages.
Hope this helps!
Don't be afraid to ask more questions and see the very first page of this thread for more information and the links showing the very beginning and developments of these kits, all documented within our club!
Thanks,
Andrew
**Edit - thanks to Don for beating me to the question!**
He is always quickest on the draw!!

Last edited:

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door TDI (sold back for Dieselgate), 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z swap
Got a few questions.

Do you offer any package discount for buying both? :rolleyes:

Does the pure flow kit require any service? Such as removal and cleaning? Just curious how it works, is there a filter in there?

Do you know how often the filter on the contain flow kit will need to be replaced?

Do your kits offer any performance benefit, such as better fuel flow, or is it simply to prevent contamination in the event of failure?

Do you know how long these HPFPs are supposed to last if you got a "good" one, under normal service conditions? I have 107k now and would certainly like some insurance.

You have some very good lucking products here, keep up the good work.

Last edited:

2micron

Vendor
TDI
None
Got a few questions.

1.)Do you offer any package discount for buying both? :rolleyes:

2.)Does the pure flow kit require any service? Such as removal and cleaning? Just curious how it works, is there a filter in there?

3.)Do you know how often the filter on the contain flow kit will need to be replaced?

4.)Do your kits offer any performance benefit, such as better fuel flow, or is it simply to prevent contamination in the event of failure?

5.)Do you know how long these HPFPs are supposed to last if you got a "good" one, under normal service conditions? I have 107k now and would certainly like some insurance.

You have some very good lucking products here, keep up the good work.
Great Questions and thanks for the comments bassman!!
1.) PM me for more info, just for asking!!
2.) The Pure Flow does not require any servicing or Maintenance, nor does it have a filter. No need to remove or clean it until after an unfortunate HPFP failure. - see next post for a recap on "How it Works"
3.)- The Contain Flow filter will need to be replaced when the differential pressure gauge approaches the 25psi value, or of course after an unfortunate HPFP failure. In this application, we are using it as a secondary filter, only filtering what the 3-5 micron factory filter lets pass through, as well as collecting and containing the fragments from the naturally degrading HPFP, down to 1Micron (0.00003937")
It will easily continue to give service over 2 factory filter change outs, 40k miles. The best indication is time and monitoring of the gauge while the engine is running. These filters are designed to flow @ 25 gallons Per Minute!!! in petroleum dispensing applications.
4.)- No Performance benefits or decrease of mileage, but a piece of mind knowing your fuel system is protected from the spread of contamination, from an unfortunate HPFP failure.
5.) Sorry, no solid data on how long the pump should last. So many variables. More time will tell us all!!
Thanks again for the questions and comments,
Hope this answered your questions!! Look for a post soon to Recap "How it Works"
Andrew

2micron

Vendor
TDI
None
2Microntech kits - "How it Works"

Hello All!!
Nothing new here, just a quick re cap about "How it Works"
Many members have been asking how it works and this may help answer some questions!!
Background:
The 2Microntech kits were developed to prevent contamination (metal fragments) from a failed High Pressure Fuel Pump (HPFP), being spread within your 2.0 Common Rail's fuel system. All the history, concept, prototypes, testing and feedback are all within this Club forum.
Contain Flow Kit: Your choice of a 1 or 2 Micron Spin-on Micro glass filter which is designed to filter and contain any metallic contamination produced from a naturally degrading and/or a failed HPFP. This kit protects your Low pressure fuel system.
This will include: Fuel Tank, Lift Pump, Auxiliary Boost pump, Factory Filter canister, Temperature Sensor and lines.
The filters are inexpensive, easily available and proven in the Petroleum distribution industry.
Pure Flow Kit: This is a Mechanical device to separate the high pressure and low pressure side within the HPFP. This is a bolt on device, allowing only fresh, factory filtered fuel to enter the High Pressure pumping chamber of the pump, protecting the expensive HP components within our fuel system, in the unfortunate event of an HPFP failure.
These components include the Injectors, Rail, Pressure Sensor, Pressure regulating solenoid, HP Lines, injector bleed off lines and the pressure retention device.
Together, these kits are designed to protect your entire fuel system.
Both these kits are easily installed at home.

Feel Free to visit these Threads, showing the entire concept, club interaction, great suggestions, testing and revisions to this kit!!
Hours of reading, special attention to Floridajohn's amazing diagram, explaining the system and the Flow Rate experiments, with video!!!.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...53#post4030853
The feedback thread, showing members installation and comments!
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=389392
Recent 1st ever install on a MK6 SEDAN:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4272377#post4272377
Jump to the very beginning of this Thread for more info, pictures and pricing!!
Ask questions, any question will help us all!!
Thanks,
Andrew

superskid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Thanks for answering my questions so quickly. As soon as warranty is over I will be ordering both of these kits. Ideally at a discount for ordering at same time...lol :)

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door TDI (sold back for Dieselgate), 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z swap
Thanks for answering my questions so quickly. As soon as warranty is over I will be ordering both of these kits. Ideally at a discount for ordering at same time...lol :)
X2

Sent from my Bosch Motronic ECM via VCDS Version 1.9LVE

JaredC01

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE - 6MT
Just as a heads up, the site has been brought up to date with the most recent information. There's also a nifty diagram showing how the Pure Flow Adapter works to separate the HPFP chambers.

As a quick side note, I recently had my car into the dealership for the 30k maintenance, with both of the kits installed, and had no issues (even told the service tech about the kits I had installed since he's got an 09 TDI). That's not to say every dealership is the same, but there are dealerships out there that won't say anything about it.

CyBear Male

TDI
2013.5 Jetta
nice updates

Nice to see your updates to your site:) The diagrams were a nice touch:)

2micron

Vendor
TDI
None
Kudos to JaredC01

Nice to see your updates to your site:) The diagrams were a nice touch:)
Thanks CyBear!! The website is 100% JaredC01's work. He has designed, written and updates the website. He is also the first MK6 sedan owner to install the kits.
The diagrams of how the Pure Flow kit works was originally explained a long time ago by FloridaJohn, recently revised by JaredC01.
The diagram illustrates the Pure Flow kit is not a filter, but a mechanical means to separate the lower pumping chamber from the upper high pressure chamber, protecting the injectors from the metal contamination produced by the lower pumping chamber.
The low pressure system contamination is captured by the Contain Flow kit's filter.
Great work Jared!!
Thanks,
Andrew

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
Has anyone installed these on the ALH? Given that the 2Micron Cat kits are 'out of production' I'd be interested in getting one.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Has anyone installed these on the ALH? Given that the 2Micron Cat kits are 'out of production' I'd be interested in getting one.
This is an interesting idea. These are designed for the newer CR engines. However, this does not mean that it cannot be re-purposed. If your stock fuel filter canister is the same diameter as the canister on a CR diesel, the mounting bracket just might fit. Assuming that the bracket fits under your hood, there is no reason why it could not be plumbed differently. It has an inlet port and an outlet port, a filter, and an optional gauge. These ports could be hooked up to fuel hoses going just about anywhere.

The "Pure Flow" HPFP mod will not work (you don't have an HPFP), but the "Contain Flow" filter system could possibly be useful in applications other than what it was designed for.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

crxgator

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta BRM 5 speed
I think I'll be putting the two kits I purchased up for sale. I haven't used them yet.

I paid $412 shipped and that's what I want in return. It didn't include the filter or the gauge.

pedaltheglobe

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI w/ Package 1
I think I'll be putting the two kits I purchased up for sale. I haven't used them yet.

I paid $412 shipped and that's what I want in return. It didn't include the filter or the gauge.
Why are you selling if you don't mind me asking?

2micron-Do you have these back in stock yet? My certified warranty expires this week...

2micron

Vendor
TDI
None
Why are you selling if you don't mind me asking?

2micron-Do you have these back in stock yet? My certified warranty expires this week...
CRXgator's kit sold right away. Jon, good timing, your name is up on the list.
Thanks for being patient!!
Check your PM for details!!
All the best!!
Andrew

2015 GOLF TDI S

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
How long is the wait for the two kits 2 Micron?

Does the fuel system need to be primed when you install the flow kit?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI

wanabe

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, Laser Blue, manual transmission
Size of filter

Is the 2 micron filter the same size as the 1 micron filter? The web site for the 1 micron filter claims that its "extended length provides higher dirt-holding capacity". Personally, I would prefer the shorter of the two if there is a difference.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Is the 2 micron filter the same size as the 1 micron filter? The web site for the 1 micron filter claims that its "extended length provides higher dirt-holding capacity". Personally, I would prefer the shorter of the two if there is a difference.
I believe that both filters are exactly the same size (both are in the same can). I believe that the problem is that the sellers for the 2 different types list different specs. The best bet would probably to go to the filter manufacturer's website and compare the two model numbers. I did this along time ago, but I do not remember exactly what I saw.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. {edit} I just looked at the CimTek catalog and both filters (70025, 1 micron and 70057, 2 micron) are 300 series filters so they are both the same size. They are 3.75" in diameter and 5.50" in length. Your choice of filters can be based solely on 1 or 2 microns and on price (the 1 micron filters are more expensive). Size is not an issue in deciding.

Last edited:

beba2010

TDI
2011 JSW DSG
Sorry if this has been explained. I read most but not all of this thread. These kits are or are not for sale at this time. If they are for sale is the price for the two kits around $400? Any special tools needed? If someone does not have the money for both kits at once, witch kit is the one to start with? Thanks for all the great help on this forum.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, they can be purchased now. 2micron's website is not yet set up for ecommerce so you must PM 2micron to order and buy these modifications. They can be installed one at a time in any order you prefer since they are not directly connected and one is not necessary for the other to work. They both do different things so they are completely independent.

As far as tools are concerned you only need pretty standard hand tools. The only "special" tool I would recommend would be ball end allen wrenches. There is a thread here about people's experience with the installation and it talks about tips and hints to make the installation easier. You might want to read that thread too. Here it is: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=389392

Have Fun!

Don

beba2010

TDI
2011 JSW DSG
Don- thanks for the info. With what you know about the system. Witch would be the better buy for the protection of the car. I plan on both but with money not being endless in my house I am sure it will be in stages. Thanks again.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don- thanks for the info. With what you know about the system. Witch would be the better buy for the protection of the car. I plan on both but with money not being endless in my house I am sure it will be in stages. Thanks again.
This is a tough call. I'm not sure which kit I would buy first if I could only buy them one at a time.
The Contain Flow return filter should protect the whole low pressure part of the system - the fuel tank, fuel lines lift pump, auxiliary pump, etc. while:
The pure flow HPFP mod should protect the high pressure part of the system - the fuel rail, pressure sensors, fuel injectors, pressure regulator valve, pressure retention valve, etc.

I have not compared the parts (or labor) costs to replace these parts, so I really do not know which would be more expensive to fix. Therefore I really have no way to decide which to purchase first. Either will do half the job but neither will do it all. My suggestion would be to use one of two choice methods.
1) Flip a coin
2) Buy the more expensive one first, so that saving up money for the other one will be easier.

Have Fun!

Don

freyguy

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
Installed My Two 2microntech Kits Today

I installed my two kits today at 61,270 miles. A co-worker had HPFP failure, so I purchased the kits that crxgator re-sold. The install went well. Andrew was supportive with my questions before my install. My bracket used a 10mm triple square (not 8mm) for Jetta 2010.

Like others have suggested, to help get the hose off the aux pump and plastic temp sensor easier, I just cut lengthwise. Only concern I now have is that I cut a bit too deep and cut into the plastic temp sensor hose nipple. It is not leaking now, but will keep an eye on it.

I primed via VCDS under Engine > Basic Settings > Code 035. I ran the pumps 30 seconds or so 6-8 times until no air gurgles. Engine started right up.

I can't find or see any leaks, except the only area I might have a slow leak is at the copper washer at the hose nipple on the aux pump. (See link: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4240010#post4240010). I tried to tighten with a 14mm deep well socket before putting the hose on. Next weekend, I will have to take the hoses back off and seal the nipple with Loctite 592 (what I used for sealing the gauge).

I went with the 1 micron filter. It was a tight fit already screwed on the kit. It has been reported that this filter element can be unscrewed and removed without taking out the complete filter kit. We'll see when it comes time to change the filter. I just changed the regular fuel filter at 60k.

freyguy

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
After 230 miles… joints seem to be dry, engine performance seems fine, but haven’t done a full rack hill climb on the system yet. I will keep an eye on them, especially the aux pump fitting with copper washer. That joint was suspect of leaking right after I installed the kits. See picture below with red circle for aux pump fitting joint. Also, posted picture of kit gauge running at idle around 6 psig.

My install look ok?

Red circle of aux fuel pump joint to keep an eye on: