Omaha, NE chat thread

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
Losha said:
If you decide to change your IP, then I can help you with that and we could use your old one for learning experience. :)
that's actually not such a bad idea. someone in the mid west (no, Ohio/Illinois don't count) has to learn how to do these things so the rest of the DCOTC guys can learn.

a new IP is $1400 w/ $300 core, i'm sure we could pull mine off... replace all the seals just so we can learn how, then send it in for the core charge. we'd probably have to put it back on my car to make sure we had all the seals right... AFAICT, the hardest part is getting the QA aligned back exactly on top of the pump.

still, we're all gonna need to do this in the next few years, so we've got to learn some time. and i'll probably buy another A4 next year, so i can have my work TDI, and my Sunday TDI. and i'm sure that one will need a new IP as well.

sorry i missed the last area GTG, but there'll be another one coming up with my brother and my friend coming to town over the school winter break.

TDI eddie

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2004, Grey
We can do another GTG to learn how to do these pumps, I can fire up the heater in the garage and we can tear into it. Also James from InMotion said he would do a GTG rate for anyone that wants to "chip" their car. I worked with him on doing mine and it's night and day difference. I have the software loaded on my PC so we can get the loaner tool and go to town on a few cars. I'm not around during most weekend, but I'm sure we can figure some thing out.

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
Anyone else here in town interested in a tune? Eddie, did he say how many people he would need for a GTG rate? I for one would be interested in looking into it, especially since I know you have the software already on your laptop:) I'll have to send him an email as I would want to know a little more about the tune since I am running WVO.

TDI eddie

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2004, Grey
vwcampin said:
Anyone else here in town interested in a tune? Eddie, did he say how many people he would need for a GTG rate? I for one would be interested in looking into it, especially since I know you have the software already on your laptop:) I'll have to send him an email as I would want to know a little more about the tune since I am running WVO.
No he didn't. The Byte Shooter (connection from the car to lap top) has a $2,000 deposit and he will send it out next day and we have to return it the same. That's another $26.00 for shipping and $40 for the "rental" of the tool. I had a total of $315 when I was all done, which I feel is a pretty good deal for what he did and how the car runs now. I did stage II, give James a call and see what he says. I'm happy to help do the cars that come over. We have to read each car, email him the file, he will do the tunning and then upload the new version.

Daniel-O

TDI
TDI not available in Japan... but my 1996 Toyota Town Ace van has a 2.2L turbo diesel
Ok, I'll bite I'd be interested in doing this too... if it won't kill the O1M... but hell maybe it'll take it!

umm I'd like to get it done b4 February tho... i'll be out of the country sometime in February for a bit of time... due to work.

Dan

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
Daniel-O said:
Ok, I'll bite I'd be interested in doing this too... if it won't kill the O1M... but hell maybe it'll take it!

umm I'd like to get it done b4 February tho... i'll be out of the country sometime in February for a bit of time... due to work.

Dan
How many miles on your 01M? if you going to be very gentle then it might not kill it quick, otherwise yes it will. But remember there is always option for 5speed.......:p With stick you will love your TDI even more.:D

Daniel-O

TDI
TDI not available in Japan... but my 1996 Toyota Town Ace van has a 2.2L turbo diesel
~62k miles ... just changed the filter and ~4L of fluid... good to go for another 40K... I'm thinking stage 3 and a bigger turbo... 01M will be fine!!!

So when is this GTG coming together?

Dan

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
TDI eddie said:
We can do another GTG to learn how to do these pumps, I can fire up the heater in the garage and we can tear into it.
i'd be able to make a GTG and happy to volunteer my IP for a re-seal group workshop. i don't need tuning, already got RC 2 and am very very happy with it.

let me know what date will work and i'll be there. thanks for offering Eddie, i look forward to meeting you in person.

Daniel-O

TDI
Daniel-O said:
~62k miles ... just changed the filter and ~4L of fluid... good to go for another 40K... I'm thinking stage 3 and a bigger turbo... 01M will be fine!!!

So when is this GTG coming together?

Dan

Yeah I was Joking bout that... but i thought a Stage 1 might just make her a bit more perky ...

Dan

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
MrErlo said:
i'd be able to make a GTG and happy to volunteer my IP for a re-seal group workshop. i don't need tuning, already got RC 2 and am very very happy with it.

let me know what date will work and i'll be there. thanks for offering Eddie, i look forward to meeting you in person.
Hey Iric, I got the IP seals already so I'm ready to go to work.:D So we should plan GTG sometime soon after new year, otherwise I'm going to have to bite the bullit and replace seals on my working IP without practice.:eek:

Daniel-O

TDI
Any Updates folks? I'm gonna be around till mid February ... I can bring a camera and beer... or some other snacks... tools... or what ever folks need... I'd offer garage space, but I have none.

Dan

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
No updates on my side of border. Been to busy with other stuff so had no time to take a risk with my IP seal replacement. I don't think I will be risking on my IP right now without plactice on one that is bad. Also I did more abservations and thinking about my cold start issue and came up to conclusion that its more likely my starter is weak. That can't crank fast enough for RMP's to meet ECU fuel cut off limit.

Lets come up with a date & old IP when we could have GTG and do some experiements on replacing internal seals on someones IP.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
I'm in for a GTG as I need to do a tranny fluid service. Does anyone have the actual tool or a DIY version? I'm sure I could do it on my own with my other TDI buddy but meeting you guys AND getting the work done would be cool.

MrScottdi

TDI
2003 Golf
Gtg

Erlo, I know you need to get your IP done ASAP. Let's GetToGether and do some work.

Mrrogers, I like your idea of finding an old one to make our mistakes on first. Where might we acquire such a thing? I don't remember too many VW's down at the scrap yard on 60th, but maybe there are other places around Omaha?

TDI eddie

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2004, Grey
Daniel-O said:
Any Updates folks? I'm gonna be around till mid February ... I can bring a camera and beer... or some other snacks... tools... or what ever folks need... I'd offer garage space, but I have none.

Dan
I'm not around during the weekends much, if someone wants to call James at InMotion and make sure we can get the files modified after 5:00 p.m. some night I'm game. It would have to be on a Monday or Tueday night for me.

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
sorry i've been gone for a while guys.

i PM'd DeafBug, no response yet. i was hoping he'd replace my IP and do my TB at the same time... if he gets back to me i'm still game for paying him to do the work.

so we need a GTG then huh? who has a location, that's the most important part. i'm still on the fence as to

- replace the seals
- replace the whole damn thing

at 150k miles, i should probably just bite the bullet and replace the whole thing. then we could always practice the seal work on the old one... that seems like the best plan. anyone have any experience as to replacing an IP? i know you need TB tools, i'm assume b/c you have to remove the TB. that's more than i'm comfortable doing, anyone done TB work?

bottom line: we need a location for an Omaha GTG.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
MrErlo said:
at 150k miles, i should probably just bite the bullet and replace the whole thing. then we could always practice the seal work on the old one... that seems like the best plan. anyone have any experience as to replacing an IP? i know you need TB tools, i'm assume b/c you have to remove the TB. that's more than i'm comfortable doing, anyone done TB work?

If DeafBug is not available to do your TB, then I could help you with that. I got all tools and done few of them before on TDI, 2.0L, 1.8t so have good knoweledge on TB. Also replacing IP is not hard either, i had to remove my 3 times do to broken accessory braket. For next two weeks I'm off work so could do it anytime. By the way I already have IP seals too so we could practice on your old one.:) PM me sometime.

You guys find a warm place to do it, and pick a date within next two weeks.

HKS

TDI
2009 Jetta
Pollen Filter

Losha,

Maybe you can help me.

I can not determine if my 2009 Jetta TDI has a pollen filter. It has the DSG transmission and Climate control. Not the Climatronic dual controls.
Thanks
HKS
Lincoln,NE

Losha said:
What filters you need and how many? I can get you oil, fuel filter, air filter & cabin filter also pentosin oil and many other parts. PM me what you need.

Last edited:

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
MrErlo said:
sorry i've been gone for a while guys.

i PM'd DeafBug, no response yet. i was hoping he'd replace my IP and do my TB at the same time... if he gets back to me i'm still game for paying him to do the work.

so we need a GTG then huh? who has a location, that's the most important part. i'm still on the fence as to

- replace the seals
- replace the whole damn thing

PM replied.

I don't check this forum often like others do. So the best way is to email me for quicker response as it goes to my pager as well as the web-based email.

Will come down if location and number of work needed will make my trip worthwhile. I always enjoy helping others. It is still a fun hobby after 6 years.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
HKS said:
Losha,

Maybe you can help me.

I can not determine if my 2009 Jetta TDI has a pollen filter. It has the DSG transmission and Climate control. Not the Climatic dual controls.
Thanks
HKS
Lincoln,NE
Yes, it does have. I'm not sure where exactly its located in Jetta, but in passat its under glove box inside of HVAC housing were blower is.

HuskerTDI

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Hello

Just saying hello to everyone in the Omaha area. I also live here, out in NW Omaha, and am currently diving into my biggest TDI project yet!:D I have a 02 Jetta TDI, stock, with 100200 miles.

An interesting note: I have broken off my glow plug in my head.:( My extractor also broke off in the center of the leftover plug:( so I have to take the head off and send it to a machine shop (since the 20 cobalt bits I burnt thru didn't make a dent in the leftover extractor).

I also thought this would be a great time to upgrade to the 100k timing belt and to clean my intake, egr, and turbo (since the turbo wasn't operating right).

So far I have my intake and egr off and cleaned (what a mess they were inside) and found the reason (likely) for my turbo problem was carbon fouling (I took the bracket off for the actuator and moved the pushrod back and forth. I found it hanging inside on some carbon. I cleaned it and it now glides like new).:D

A few questions. For the timing belt, do I need the 100k upgrade kits like advertised on tdiparts.com?

http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=449{27}43{14}14{42}59{43}57

Or does anyone have other recommendations. I have read many threads and have found some conflicting info.

Second, what about the said "specialty tools" used during the belt replacement for the IP etc.? Are these all needed? Does anyone have any I might be able to borrow? Or, are there any "creative" substitutions for these?

And last, do I really need the VAG-COM after the installation? If so, what do I need (which connector etc.)? Or is there someone willing to share some time and experience to verify timing and maybe for a beer afterwards?;)

Thanks, and I look forward to reading your feedback!

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
Husker, Welcome aboard. You will want to order the full timing belt kit. No reason to skimp there. Do it right the first time, and since you can buy the 100K belt, you are good to go for a long time. Since I haven't done a TB myself, I can't say for sure on the tools, but from everything I have read on here, you will want to use them and you will also want to have VagCom (VCDS) Doing a timing belt without these is known as the "mark and pray" method and is usally frowned upon. I know that MrErlo needs an injection pump swap, so if we can come up with a place to hold a GTG, there would be a good chance that we might be able to make it worth DeafBug or Losha's while to come into town. I believe they probably have the proper tools for the belt and there are others here in town who have VagCom.

MrErlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4dr 5sp
HuskerTDI said:
Thanks, and I look forward to reading your feedback!
DeafBug said:
PM replied.
after DeafBug's reply, i am now looking for a location. anyone want to volunteer? if i have him do the TB and my IP swap, and HusterTDI needs some help... that should be a good foundation for a GTG. since Husker's car is already in pieces, basically what i'm asking is...

Husker, will you offer your place as a work area?

if you only have 1 garage bay, we could finish your car up first then move mine in next. how does that sound?

if not, does anyone else have a heated space that we could use?

i'm gonna order the "new" (refirb) IP from TDIParts today, that way best case DeafBug can put it in, or the rest of us could fight through it, or worst case... i pay the Stealership to put in the part i bring them.

Sueiro

Hi there,
I used to live in Omaha (163rd & Pacific) but moved to Florida recently. Back in 1999 when I bought my 96 Passat a TDI in Omaha was a rare sighting, when I left 6 months ago much more common. I don't miss my frozen door handles or my 10 secs of glow plug signal. But I miss the people and the snow and the Huskers.

HuskerTDI

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Sueiro, how funny that you moved from here to there when I just moved from Ft. Walton Beach, FL back to Omaha (my original stomping grounds) a year ago. I do miss the warm weather and beautiful beaches, but love being back in "The Good Life". Good luck in your new home.

Mr Erlo, vwcampin, and DeafBug (maybe?), and whomever else, it took me a while to coordinate things since I work out of town (NY actually) but it seems like it's comming together.

So here's the scoop: I have a two bay garage with a small space heater that we can work in. My car, obviously, is taking up on of the bays. My fiance's and my house is brand new so we can use it...lets just try to keep things clean! I will be back in Omaha tomorrow night and am planning to have my head machined Thurs and in my hands Friday.

Would everyone like to GTG at my place Sautrday?

I should be pretty close to timing belt install and I.P fine tuning by then. (As long as my parts all arrive). If not, no sweat the other bay we can use to work on Erlo's TB and IP swap.

Those interested, PM me and we'll get this going!

DeafBug

TDI
2001 NB
Kinda of a late notice now. I need time to coordinate things around here to make the trip. I am not able to leave town now until March. People booked their time with me since I made the last post. I am normally on first come first served basis. Actually I am available the last weekend of Feb., the 28th weekend. Want it? Sorry, I am still quite in demand up here.

Not sure about Losha.

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
who needs a spaceheater!!

Hey if you want warm-there's a Rocketchip gtg in Jacksonville...........Florida in March. ROADTRIP!!!!! Just kidding-I couldn't resist-I used to live in Kansas and my son is attending Jr. college in Concordia. I can empathize with your weather conditions-I hear it from him every other day. Greetings from Florida and I hope warmer weather comes soon for you! If not-there's always Jax!

HuskerTDI

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
DeafBug...Thanks for the offer. I thought MrErlo was going to need your help primarily. Looks like I'm about to finish up this weekend though. I'm still would love to hook up a VagCom if someone close could volunteer? Otherwise, I'm willing to help anyone and have a fairly well stocked roll-away.

upsbroke..it is cold, but that's part of why I love Nebraska. (A visit to FL might be nice though!)

DeafBug

TDI
2001 NB
HuskerTDI, alright. Not a problem. The most important for you is to lock down the engine properly. Make sure all the bolts are torqued correctly according to the manual. Don't worry about the intake manifold bolts they are hard to get it to 18ft/lbs but a tight snug will do. I wrote that instructions.

Not sure who has the VAG-COM in your area but I know there are plenty of people. Some may be living in Lincoln.

To the rest of you, I am still open for that weekend. Just get your heads together and let me know soon if you want me to make a trip. I am willing but if it gets filled. I will let you know. One month is plenty of time to arrange for it to happen. Make your decision soon and then order the parts. I am sure some of you are due soon for some maintenance.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
HuskerTDI said:
Mr Erlo, vwcampin, and DeafBug (maybe?), and whomever else, it took me a while to coordinate things since I work out of town (NY actually) but it seems like it's comming together.

Would everyone like to GTG at my place Sautrday?

I should be pretty close to timing belt install and I.P fine tuning by then. (As long as my parts all arrive). If not, no sweat the other bay we can use to work on Erlo's TB and IP swap.

Those interested, PM me and we'll get this going!
If more people would be able to attend like Mr Erlo, vwcampin & others, then I might be able to come and help with IP swap or TB or some other work. Let me know if there will be GTG at your place, I got this saturday open so would love to come down & meet all of you TDI enthusiasts.

I got VAG-COM if anyone needs it except I don't have laptop with serial port, so would need to find laptop with serial port.