Autocross or Kart racing?

M

mickey

Pugs is trying to arrange a venue for an Autocross, but I had what I believe is a better idea. There is an indoor go-kart racing venue here in Salt Lake that is called "NASCART". They are actually pretty quick go-karts! I think we'd get more participation if we did that in lieu of an autocross, since not everyone is willing to hammer the crap out of their TDIs.

Sound like a plan? I'll check into prices.

-mickey

M

mickey

I'm trying to arrange a dyno for the Friday afternoon just before the Tech Session.

-mickey

NORM

Hey all again:

Autocrossing is a gas...er did I say that. But, more people would probably participate in go karting.

I got into autocrossing this summer and depending on the course and how your car is setup it can be a ball or you could roll the thing. Tire pressure is very important. The harder the better if you really want to go for it. If the tires are too soft you will roll the tire over and scuff the H out of the sides and then things can get pretty scary since the tires aren't working the way they are supposed to work. However, you really don't have to worry too much about rolling the car unless you get way out of control. These cars push heavily in the turns and it is almost impossible to break the rear end loose, so no one should get too far out of shape. However, if you have done some suspension work and have added a rear sway bar you can break it loose, but then again, you have a better suspension and have probably lowered it a little. So flipping it will be hard to do. As for blowing a shift, you probably will only shift once at the start and then leave it in second for the balance of the course. You may bump the rev limiter, but shifting on such a short course tends to make this really too busy in the cockpit to do it very efficiently. Leave it in second and have a ball.

That said, Go Karting would be fun too. I'm up for anything. Let us know what you come up with.

See you all there.

NORM!!!

M

mickey

The SCCA has offered to provide the necessary stuff. All we lack is a parking lot! I'm looking into that, and so is Pugs. Hopefully the autocross will be a "go." I suggested that the SCCA recruit a few members to race, since we won't have a whole lot.

I'd still like to fit this "karting" thing in somewhere as a kind of "unofficial" event, along with the 1st Annual TDIClub Gun Show.

-mickey

Nmapo

mickey, i would be totally down for some dyno time. =)

can you email me with some specifics? like the type of dyno and where it's at?

and by the way, NASCART arent really go carts, they are more like racing karts then go carts. it's REALLY fun. autox would probly be more fun, but not until i have a car that's worthy of autox time =)

--
Jarrett (still the skinny white kid who used your vag-com =) )

[ September 06, 2001: Message edited by: Nmapo ]