towing with golf tdi

sadawert

I just installed a draw-hitch on my 2000 gl tdi golf. I would like to know if it can handle towing a 4x6 u-hual trailer from arizona to vermont? It's an auto so do I need to install a transmission fluid cooler?
Thank you

sadawert

yes, U-hual installed it by drilling about 4 bolts into the spare tire compartment and tied it also to the u shaped towing piece. I asked for no cutting but while I was gone at work they cut a 1 inch be 3 inch piece of the heat shield, looks ok but I would have prefered no cutting.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
The auto TDI utilizes a liquid cooled transmission. In other words it has a coolant jacket just like the engine uses. VW is the only car manufacturer that I know of that has this.

What this does is maintian a constant temp under just about any load. Also it prevents the overheating associated with most small automatic trannys.

I tow a 4x8 2000# trailer on regular basis with my A3 jetta manual and feel that the auto TDI can easily handle it. I do suggest staying around 2000#s to prevent any handling issues.

DB