CP3 fuel pump upgrade thread

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)
That's what I was afraid of. I think the VW techs would be scratching their heads pretty hard trying to bolt a DPF to my turbo

Last edited:

TDIA3

TDI
2011 A3 TDI 2260vk
is there any word on these kits being available to purchase? thanks

edgewatertom

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta 5spd GLS; 2010 Jetta 6spd; 2003 Golf 2DR 5spd; 2016 GMC Canyon 2.8DuraMAX
I installed mine this weekend! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:

edgewatertom

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta 5spd GLS; 2010 Jetta 6spd; 2003 Golf 2DR 5spd; 2016 GMC Canyon 2.8DuraMAX
Thanks!!! Yes, I did the install myself. First time wrenching on this car other than maintenance.

The hardest by far was figuring out how to get the EGR/ASV out of the way. Once I figured out that the hose under the ASV could actually be removed, I read it couldn't :eek:, I could access the ASV bolts and then the EGR bolts. Granted it wasn't easy to get the hose out of there, but once I did, it was game on.

I also did the timing belt and added the 2micron lower timing belt cover at the same time.

I posted a few pic in my album from the install. Happy viewing.:D

What a fantastic kit and the feeling that goes with knowing I removed that ticking time bomb is priceless.

Andrew (2micron) keeping TDI's on the road.:D:D:D:D:D

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI :D
Thanks!!! Yes, I did the install myself. First time wrenching on this car other than maintenance.

The hardest by far was figuring out how to get the EGR/ASV out of the way. Once I figured out that the hose under the ASV could actually be removed, I read it couldn't :eek:, I could access the ASV bolts and then the EGR bolts. Granted it wasn't easy to get the hose out of there, but once I did, it was game on.

I also did the timing belt and added the 2micron lower timing belt cover at the same time.

I posted a few pic in my album from the install. Happy viewing.:D

What a fantastic kit and the feeling that goes with knowing I removed that ticking time bomb is priceless.

Andrew (2micron) keeping TDI's on the road.:D:D:D:D:D
This is beyond awesome... Now how much was it out the door for parts? I heard something about these being pretty good with a turbo upgrade :D

2micron

Vendor
TDI
None
This is beyond awesome... Now how much was it out the door for parts? I heard something about these being pretty good with a turbo upgrade :D
Hello Elite!!!
Drop me an email, lets Chat!!!
tdi2micron@yahoo.ca
Fantastic install!! Great Job edgewater!!!
Folks, this fellow quietly bolted this kit on over the weekend, then sent his wife out to work on a long Journey Monday Morning.
Awesome!!
Thanks,
Andrew

Black tdi cup

TDI
2010 volkswagen tdi cup edition
how to buy cp3

Just curious where to actually buy the cp3 fuel pump

WalkingDrunken

Veteran Member
TDI
NONE
So this last weekend I started in on doing my install of my CP3, 1 Micron filtering kit, Fluidampr, and timing belt protector. This was the second time I was completing this project since I helped Schriebers install his CP3 before. This made me feel overly confident and led to mistakes that I’ll get to.
First….Here are some pictures of all the parts that I had ahead of time.

You might notice that I have two timing belt protectors. The raw finished one I got from Ken (Buzzken) but couldn’t fit the Fluidampr. I let Andrew (2 Micron) know and he had a new batch that he just got done with so he sent the black anodized one with the rest of my adapter hardware.

I know I was a pain for Andrew. I was waiting for my kit for over 3 months and I pestered him at least once a week to see where he stood with production. Lucky for him my e-mails were going to his spam folder. hahaha.
Here are some pictures of my engine before install.

Andrew provides a pretty complete instruction document when you order the kit from him. If you are mechanically inclined you’ll be able to follow everything and the job goes very smoothly.

Edit: I want to make one reinforcement comment about the instructions. Please please please use your finger and put a layer of anti seize on both sides of the adapter plate. The adapter plate is aluminum and sandwiched by steel on both sides. The last thing you want there is corrosion.

There are a couple parts that I got frustrated with the first install through and the second time through. Removing the Auxiliary pump wasn’t difficult but I could never figure out what it was getting held up on. Here is a picture to give you an idea of how it’s all lined up. The rubber brackets hold the pump in the above metal bracket very securely and from what I remember there is no nuts or bolts that specifically hold the pump in there.

There are two screws that connect the power leads, positive and negative. I think they are 7mm and 8mm...yea, they are different sizes…

The other area that was frustrating was trying to get the adapter on the fuel pump torqued down. I am pretty sure that I got close to the recommended 95 ft lbs using a torque wrench and pulley holder but my holder bent a little and kept slipping. I made sure my porter cable electric impact was fully charged and gave it a few quick goes at it to top it off.

The timing belt video done by myturbodiesel.com is priceless. When you use it and finish your install I would highly recommend donating. It is that helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAi667H7M2Y

A few notes with the timing belt. You can technically skip some steps if you are reusing the same belt. I would highly recommend not to. This was my mistake. I thought I remembered what I was doing from the first install and didn’t get the belt reinstalled correctly. I was able to start it without causing damage but it sounded like a tin can with nuts and bolts inside. It was confusing, scary, and nerve wracking all at the same time. I started the video over and went step by step over everything. Got it back together perfectly.

When you get everything installed and try to start it for the first time you need to prime the fuel system. Obviously there’s no fuel in any of the new parts you just put it. We primed Schriebers car for a long time and I primed my car for a long time as well. It still took quite a bit of cold cranking for everything to get going. Don’t get discouraged by cranking but don’t just hold the key down for too long and heat up the starter. I prefer to go for 10-15 seconds at a time.

I used a fuel line Andrew developed for use with an EGR in place. As you have noticed I don’t have an EGR. I used the Darkside kit to remove it. This line does require a little modification. You need to use three washers to space the dipstick tube a little forward so it doesn’t contact the new fuel line. Don’t judge my locking washers, it’s the only option I had.

You also have to slightly push the AC line to clear the new 1 Micron filter you want to use.You can see the clearance that i got here.

Last edited:

WalkingDrunken

Veteran Member
TDI
NONE
Here are some finished pictures of the installation.

And here is a quick video of my car running.

https://goo.gl/photos/2YKinJAdYMBB8Tkt6

I also had my fluidampr and timing belt protector installed. It looks AWESOME! but I don’t really know the next time I’ll be able to see it.

Current engine state:
CR170, Malone stage 3.5, Rawtek turbo back, HP & LP EGR delete, Wagner Intercooler.

Impressions.
Sound: This pump definitely gives a different sound. I think it has a great little whine to it that I can hear when I’m driving. But I might be a little sensitive to clunks, clangs, and sounds. My girlfriend cannot hear a difference and we take my car everywhere.

Driving Impression Power:
I noticed a noticeable increase in power. I’m not going to guess on hp or tq increase. But I feel the increase in all RPM ranges and pedal position.

Driving Impression Mileage:
My mileage increased nicely. My “city” driving is too and from work which is 15 miles at 45mph on cruise control with a max of 6 stops. My city mileage has increased at least 5mpg. My highway driving is cruise control at 70MPH. This mileage has increased 3MPG. Disclaimer*These are short term results from this last week.

I feel like this pump increases efficiency over the old fuel pump. It takes less energy to turn and in turn rewards you with increased power, mileage, and reliability.
Andrew asked that I withhold pricing, pump model number, and pump source. Please contact Andrew with any ordering questions you might have. Message him on here or give him an e-mail at tdi2micron@yahoo.com

WalkingDrunken

Veteran Member
TDI
NONE
Another added note. Schriebers and myself both feel like our cars start faster with this fuel pump.

Usually it took about 3 or 4 cranks to start my car before and now it's only 1 or 2. Has anyone else noticed this?

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Another added note. Schriebers and myself both feel like our cars start faster with this fuel pump.

Usually it took about 3 or 4 cranks to start my car before and now it's only 1 or 2. Has anyone else noticed this?
Yep, I noted it as well in my install thread. Congrats on the CP3 install :)

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
I'm wondering why the 2micron filter when adding the cp3 pump. If they do not fail why is it needed?

WalkingDrunken

Veteran Member
TDI
NONE
Andrew offers the additional filter as an option for the cp3 now. Originally he required them as a cya or just in case measure.

I originally didn't want a filter then I did a lot of my own research on diesel fuel quality in the United states and decided it was a nice extra bit of protection.

I would never question someone's choice not to run it though. 2 cents

Edit: If you opt for the extra filter head, a filter that fits is the Cimtek 70025. There are many sources but we do have a gentleman on the boards that sells these. Tyler- covermytdi@yahoo.com

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'm wondering why the 2micron filter when adding the cp3 pump. If they do not fail why is it needed?
Yeah, the extra filter head and cimtek 1 micron filter is a very good idea. Andrew just sent me a pdf of a fuel sample vw had tested with a wear scar measurement of over 560 microns. Wish I could figure out how to post it up. More filtration might not help with that, but there is bad fuel out there. Also the hpfp isn't the only expensive part of the fuel system. Have you priced out a new set of piezo injectors lately?

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI :D
Increased filtration protects your injectors and HPFP when used as a pre-filter; this in turn should also result in longer life for the overall fuel system.

Not required, it's insurance for the "just in case".

WalkingDrunken

Veteran Member
TDI
NONE
EDIT: UPDATE: Andrew(2Micron) got me the details. The Cim Tek (Bio Tek line) 70025 1 Micron is Nominal @ 75%. The Filter is rated for Pressure of 50 PSI / 3.4 Bar, Flow: 25GPM / 94.6LPM

Does anyone have a spec sheet on the Cimtek 70025? I e-mailed Cimtek and the response I got was that it filters 1 micron nominally. They wouldn't provide me with a spec sheet or anything.

Recent cost of single injector

Last edited:

1972SS454

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 99.5 Jetta TDI
All this Stage 3.5++ talk!!! ha ha So.....who is gonna be the first to post a "Stage 3.5++" dyno sheet?? Interested to see what the CR170 is capable of with the CP3!!

WalkingDrunken

Veteran Member
TDI
NONE
Ha. People around me are retarded about not knowing what to do to Dyno a diesel. You find a place within an hour and I'll go.

1972SS454

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 99.5 Jetta TDI
Ha. People around me are retarded about not knowing what to do to Dyno a diesel. You find a place within an hour and I'll go.
ha ha... i feel ya! I had to pull my ABS fuses out of the engine bay fuse panel to keep traction control from interfering. Also had to clip the RPM pickup around one of the injector power wires to get a good RPM reading.

I would think there would be some good dyno places in Cape Coral....I will have to search around though.

dieselherb1

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MK5,09 Mk5 CR,03 Mk4,96,2-97 B4s,98 A3,2000 A4,4 Caddies( 2-1.6TD,1.6,TDI) Chevys 6.2,6.5,6.5TD
I just installed one

MN_TDI12

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG w/Nav
Talked to Andrew earlier this week. Hoping to be on this list buy the end of the summer!