'09 / '10 REVO Software for 2.0 TDI

AudiTTim

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI Malone II
I have been doing a little emailing back and forth with REVO about their new software coming out for the 2.0 TDI. It sounds great! Below is a little more information and a copy of the emails I got from REVO. Just FYI for all of you 2.0'ers

Revo Technik releases Stage1 performance software for 2.0 TDi (CR) 170ps engined Audi A3, TT, SEAT Leon, Skoda Octavia, Superb, VW Golf & Passat. With no need for any hardware modifications our figures show Stage1 raises peak power to 208bhp and peak torque to 321 lbft.

Stock: (170 bhp) (258 lbft torque)
Stock Dyno: (193 bhp) (276 lbft torque)
REVO: (208 bhp) (321 lbft torque)

Interesting to see that our cars put out more hp and trq the VW has told us... still, some great gains for the software!

Below are the emails for a little added information:

From me:
Hello. I am writing to inquire about the REVO software for the 2.0 TDi. I
just purchased a 2009 Jetta TDi and wanted to see what you all will be
offering in the near future. I noticed the article you have about the TDi
tune and wanted to see if you could supply me with a little more info for
when it is going to be ready for the states, and for the jetta, and how if
effects fuel economy.

REVO Reply:
Thank you for your interest in our software. We are currently wrapping up
our testing with our new TDI software. The current hold up is the current
Emissions control on the new TDI that were are trying to navigate around to
squeeze the last bit of power as we can out of it. We can only suggest to
stay tuned to the different car forums and our web site of a release date
and pricing.

I sent them another email asking about fuel economy and the chip, and they said:
From our previous tests, we have seen an improvement in Fuel Economy and expect to see the same results in the final version for consumers.

Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to share this interesting info!

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Are they "tuning" the DSG, as well? It would be nice if someone would take out the bumps in the software of the mechatronics before they put additional strain on the transmission.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
I believe what you are looking at is the spec numbers for the euro CR engine not the US version

Revo Releases VAG 2.0 TDi (CR) 170ps
Performance Software
Release Date:
August 2009

Revo Technik releases Stage1 performance software for 2.0 TDi (CR) 170ps engined Audi A3, TT, SEAT Leon, Skoda Octavia, Superb, VW Golf & Passat. With no need for any hardware modifications our figures show Stage1 raises peak power to 208bhp and peak torque to 321 lbft.

Power (bhp)
Power (kW)
Torque (lbft)
Torque (Nm)
Stock OE
170​
127​
258​
350​
Stock Dyno
193​
144​
276​
374​
Peak Performance #
208​
155​
321​
435​
# Dyno tolerance +/- 5%

The US version should be out soon though. One of the service writers at Keffer VW in Huntersville has been driving their tune for the last 6 months as a guinea pig for Revo. They have used his car to test and update their tune and he has reported a 30hp gain and 25 torque increase from their dyno testing. He loves the improvements in power,mpg and driveabliity. So it is looking good. Should be out in jan/feb.

AudiTTim

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI Malone II
Yeah I have friends at that dealership. Brian, who works there, is founder of our car group.. Chapter 11 Dubs.

Thanks for the heads up. I will have to stop by there and see if they can let me take that one for a spin :)

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
AudiTTim said:
I have been doing a little emailing back and forth with REVO about their new software coming out for the 2.0 TDI. It sounds great! Below is a little more information and a copy of the emails I got from REVO. Just FYI for all of you 2.0'ers

Stock: (170 bhp) (258 lbft torque)
Stock Dyno: (193 bhp) (276 lbft torque)
REVO: (208 bhp) (321 lbft torque)

Interesting to see that our cars put out more hp and trq the VW has told us... still, some great gains for the software!
While it's great to hear that another well-known aftermarket ECU tuner is working on something for the new TDI, the specs you reference are for the European 2.0l CR TDI that is, unfortunately, a fair bit different than the version we have in the U.S. and Canada.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Just spoke with REVO. They haven't begun to "tune" the 09 DSGs, but he says that their 6 or so TDI DSG test vehicles in the Atlanta region DO NOT have the slamming issues that some of us here are trying to solve.

The rep I spoke with says the engine tune software is available NOW, for $499. They can also sell you, for $199, an on-off switch module that works through your OBDII port.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
not to shabby, so who's going to make the plung?

pawel

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 TDI 6 MT, Platinum Gray Metallic, Anthracite Interior
does anyone know what impact this Stage 1 tune might have on regen?

AudiTTim

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI Malone II
pawel said:
does anyone know what impact this Stage 1 tune might have on regen?
Prob very little impact. If anything, I would assume the car might run a little warmer... common sense says that if it puts out more power then it should put out more heat / exhaust / and boost in this case. So, the exhaust temps will prob go up a few degrees and from what I have read on the forums... thats a good thing for the regen cycle.

Correct me if im wrong please.. im still a n00b :rolleyes:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
A hot-rodded engine will only run "hotter" under the specific conditions when it is making more power than stock. For most people's driving, this will be a very small fraction of the total time that the engine is running.

If you're on the motorway at 110 km/h on cruise control, the amount of power the engine is putting out is the same, whether it's chipped or not. So, it depends more on what the driver is doing.

goldfish

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG
I'm curious as to whether this tune allows the regen to function in the stock manner, or whether they have changed its functionality or even disabled it. In one of the emails it says they are "working around" the emissions requirements.

AudiTTim

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI Malone II
I think they just mean that they are trying to work with the emissions requirements. They are trying to get as much performance as possible without making the car "illegal" in any state. So I assume...

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
AudiTTim said:
I think they just mean that they are trying to work with the emissions requirements. They are trying to get as much performance as possible without making the car "illegal" in any state. So I assume...
What's your relationship to REVO?
Not intended to flame you, it's just members here expect openness and disclaimers. Anyone with a quality product is welcome -- especially one offering a DSG tuner.

Last edited:

pawel

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 TDI 6 MT, Platinum Gray Metallic, Anthracite Interior
the way i see it is very simple. if this stage 1 does impact regen by making it happen more often, than no thanks! i'm trying to extend the life of my emission systems, not making it shorter. i guess we need more input on the regen impacts.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
20hp Vs. possibly messing the car up, may it be emission system, fuel system, or the GP/CP sensor. mess one of these up at the tune of $400.

I dont think its worth it. Could cost a bundle and possible loss of waranty.

I would bet there will be more OEM flashes for the CRD. Not to mention the DSG flash.

AudiTTim

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI Malone II
I have no relationship with REVO. I just wanted to bring this out into the open to learn more about it and get opinions from you all, that know more about these cars than I do. I literally just picked mine up last night and am LOVING it.

Just thought the REVO software was interesting, and I currently run software on my Audi TT... just comparing what the programs do for diesels as well.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
The Revo tune is netting 25 hp. The Revo dealer in my area is my VW dealer. They flash cars in warranty and will honor warranty on their flashed cars. I will also ask for in writing a guaranty that the dealership will take care of all exhaust,engine,ecu and drive train issues that take place during existing warranty. To me if this is a big company that has the resources to develop a quality tune and is working with my dealership to provide me assurance that my warranty will stay in place, then this is a great opportunity, and the best time for me to flash my car. I will have almost 2 years(actually longer for drive train and exhaust) to drive this tune and see if problems from flashing these complicated exhaust arise and if they do I can have the dealership take care of the warranty problem and restore my ecu to stock and forget about power increases for this car.
My first preference was and always would to have had Jeff do this work but as we know that is not going to happen. My next would have been ARP, but that could be another year, so Revo will be my choice and I willl keep everybody informed how it goes. I also had a dyno done last year so I will follow it up with a post dyno.

Mach1 said:
20hp Vs. possibly messing the car up, may it be emission system, fuel system, or the GP/CP sensor. mess one of these up at the tune of $400.

I dont think its worth it. Could cost a bundle and possible loss of waranty.

I would bet there will be more OEM flashes for the CRD. Not to mention the DSG flash.

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
pawel said:
the way i see it is very simple. if this stage 1 does impact regen by making it happen more often, than no thanks! i'm trying to extend the life of my emission systems, not making it shorter. i guess we need more input on the regen impacts.
Personally I'm very leery about tuning a new CR...at this time too much like going where no man has gone before...but I'm not worried about the DPF in particular. As I understand it, the main threats to a DPF's life are:

1. Too much city driving, making a regen impossible and thus leading to fatal clogging, and

2. Wrong/bad fuel, poisoning the catalyst, and

3. Old Man Time. Fuel and oil will always contain teeny-tiny amounts of non-flammable ash, dust, and stuff, which will accumulate with time and ultimately lead to the DPF's demise.

Problem #1 is avoidable and falls into the category of 'operator error'. #2 is reasonably unlikely nowadays. #3 is inevitable, and all you can do is use the right oil, ULSD, and (optionally) only ULSD-compliant fuel additive in order to slow (but not avoid) the inevitable. So if tuners just leave the DPF/regen functions of the software alone, I'm not too concerned that a tune would threaten the DPF. Indeed, as others have mentioned here, if a tune leads you to drive harder (i.e., hotter) then you'll get more passive regeneration, which is a good thing.

Caveat emptor: Truth be told, I have very little idea what I'm talking about; just my hunch/opinion.

Last edited:

Mach1

TDI
Coolbreeze, that is the dealership..Not VWOA..Get everything in writing..VWOA would be crazy stupid to do that.

I have been down that street before the diesel trucks scene did the same exact thing..years ago..

The dealers were charging absorbant prices for a flash, which the manufactures didn't know of or support..Lots of people got stuck with a voided waranty and a broke truck. sometimes the salesmen left the dealership and customer couldn't get waranty work done..Sometimes salesman was doing the under-the-counter(fly-by-night) ripping the dealership and the customer.

If I considered doing that, I would get it all in writing and then hoped the salesman stayed at the dealership for years to come.

Good luck with your decision.

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
And what happens if the dealership goes under? Given the economy that's a valid consideration.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Mach1. I agree with all you have said. In my post I mentioned that I will make sure in writing that they are going to honor the warranty after their flash. They are doing extremely well, and they are a well run dealership in a very strong Charlotte car market so I do not fear their demise, but you never know. There will be some risk but i believe of all the possible scenarios it is the least if I want to tune my car while still in warranty.

Mach1 said:
Coolbreeze, that is the dealership..Not VWOA..Get everything in writing..VWOA would be crazy stupid to do that.

I have been down that street before the diesel trucks scene did the same exact thing..years ago..

The dealers were charging absorbant prices for a flash, which the manufactures didn't know of or support..Lots of people got stuck with a voided waranty and a broke truck. sometimes the salesmen left the dealership and customer couldn't get waranty work done..Sometimes salesman was doing the under-the-counter(fly-by-night) ripping the dealership and the customer.

If I considered doing that, I would get it all in writing and then hoped the salesman stayed at the dealership for years to come.

Good luck with your decision.

Mach1

TDI
CB, I saw you were getting it in writing, my question would be, is it just one individual or the dealership, usually if its just one person selling it secretly, I would stay away regardless, now if its the dealership and you can get it in writing and the service center knows about it and is ok with it, you may be fine..until down the road..

Just trying to help shed some light, as I have seen this before..Trying to help people along..

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Mach1. You have always been a big help. Keffer is the Revo authorized dealership and will be a work order and invoiced by the dealership.
Thanks again.:)

Mach1 said:
CB, I saw you were getting it in writing, my question would be, is it just one individual or the dealership, usually if its just one person selling it secretly, I would stay away regardless, now if its the dealership and you can get it in writing and the service center knows about it and is ok with it, you may be fine..until down the road..

Just trying to help shed some light, as I have seen this before..Trying to help people along..

AudiTTim

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI Malone II
Keffer has always offered REVO software. They are a great dealership and I know many people that work there. They will honor it. Also, the service guys are the guys that offer the turning.. not your sales guy.

Mach1

TDI
Sounds legit guys..good luck with it and keep us in the know..

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
I will check with Keffer, but I believe it is they have a five day trial.

Pelican18TQA4 said:
Does Revo have the 8 hour trial on this software like they do for the gasser cars? I'd be curious to try it out.

AudiTTim

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI Malone II
I thought it was 5 hour? Hmm... coolbreeze, let me know when you plan on heading up there if you want to meet up.. I live 15 minutes away and could meet you there.. I might try the trial of the software but more importantly I want to get my remote programmed to open and close my windows using vagcom.. and any other cool stuff they can unlock.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
Tim, you are probably right it is a 5 hour test. I had 5 stuck in my mind. thanks. I picked it up last night, and have posted a short first impression in the power enhancement section. I will take it to Concord next week to have a post dyno done. Already had a pre dyno done. Are you a member of Brian's club(chapter11dubs.com)? I will be checking them out and sure to stop in and visit.
AudiTTim said:
I thought it was 5 hour? Hmm... coolbreeze, let me know when you plan on heading up there if you want to meet up.. I live 15 minutes away and could meet you there.. I might try the trial of the software but more importantly I want to get my remote programmed to open and close my windows using vagcom.. and any other cool stuff they can unlock.