Bought my first Volkswagen!

Scott21

TDI
02 jetta
Yesterday I bought my first Volkswagen jetta. I have been searching for one for a few months and after reading alot on here I decided what I wanted, just needed to find it. I bought a 2002 jetta tdi 5 speed. It has 128000 miles and no rust. I have drove it 150 miles and i really enjoy it. Thanks for everyone that post on here, the information is great! Any tips or suggestions i will take them. Im sure i will have many questions in the future.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Congratulations, sounds like a time capsule...and IMHO one of the 2 best years of TDIs.

I'm weird, regardless of what records provided, I would change everything from the timing belt to all the fluids

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

JohnTso

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Desert Jetta & 2015 Passat SEL
Scott - Did you buy locally? I flew to AZ to get my rust free 2003.

Due to the age of the car you'll want to consider a complete suspension refresh. To be on the safe side I would also changing out all fluids on the car too.

deathtrap

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 1992 Golf GL = Future ALH candidate
wow congrats on the buy. sounds like a real gem. shouldn't you tease us with pics? my suggestion would be not to drive such a car in the winter lol.

really wish i could move somewhere with no snow/ice/salt.

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Yesterday I bought my first Volkswagen jetta. I have been searching for one for a few months and after reading alot on here I decided what I wanted, just needed to find it. I bought a 2002 jetta tdi 5 speed. It has 128000 miles and no rust. I have drove it 150 miles and i really enjoy it. Thanks for everyone that post on here, the information is great! Any tips or suggestions i will take them. Im sure i will have many questions in the future.
Congrats!! it a 2003 or 2002?? your post and avatar say both ! awesome tho! post pics!!

WolfgangVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI - Manual
Congratulations, sounds like a time capsule...and IMHO one of the 2 best years of TDIs.

I'm weird, regardless of what records provided, I would change everything from the timing belt to all the fluids

what are the 2 best years of tdi's??

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
what are the 2 best years of tdi's??
02 and 03 due to the CCM, the 4 channel glow plug system and the bus that'll allow you to add a newer cluster with a few more features

I've got an 01 and a 00...

z14ben

TDI
2000 Jetta
02 and 03 due to the CCM, the 4 channel glow plug system and the bus that'll allow you to add a newer cluster with a few more features

I've got an 01 and a 00...

They also have the option for steering wheel controls.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Newer ones are easier to retrofit ESP, as the MK60 ABS modules are easier to come by. And it is so worth the effort to put in.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Welcome! I agree both that '02/03 are the best TDIs, and also vote for the fluids and filters. If you don't have timing belt change info or if it's been more than 5-6 years since the service you should do a timing belt service.

I don't know where you are in WI, but Jason Daniels (Jason's TD Repair) in Oregon is one of the best TDI shops in the midwest.

Last edited:

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
The late 03(and 04/05) has the center console cup holders. Get one of these if you don't have it, necessity if you are going to use it as a commuter.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I have no problem with the dash mounted cup holders in my '02. Haven't even broken one.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have no problem with the dash mounted cup holders in my '02. Haven't even broken one.
I've had a fair share of coffees roll out when taking turns :) I freakin love my center console cup holders.

z14ben

TDI
2000 Jetta
The late 03(and 04/05) has the center console cup holders. Get one of these if you don't have it, necessity if you are going to use it as a commuter.
yes but then you have to deal with bad camshafts

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Say, may 03 wagon has the newer cup holders, and it definitely has an ALH in it.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Never thought to lube the thing, though it seems to work fine. What did you use, silicone spray?

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Never thought to lube the thing, though it seems to work fine. What did you use, silicone spray?

I bought some fancy teflon synthetic grease to do my sunroof.
You can pop the whole cup holder unit out, there's a metal clip on
one side IIRC. Got it out and gave anything that moved a dab.
It clearly hadn't been used much. Took me a while to realise I

even had it, lol. Works great now. If it works, I wouldn't bother,
though silicone spray would probably work just as well.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I thought there was a tab on each side, I just soaked one in water and got the dried soda and coffee out and it worked great...

Scott21

TDI
02 jetta
I bought this car from a guy im madison. He bought it a few years back from South Carolina. I had been looking at southern cars because I wanted a rust free mk4. As i was planning a trip this came for sale on craigslist. Only 1 hour from me. I got very lucky. I plan on only driving it in the summer time but it is killing me seeing it in the garage every day and not driving it!

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
MALONE TUNES DEALER , 2005 beetle tdi dsg, 1998 vw beetle 2.slow, 2003 beetle turbo s, 1998 beetle 2.0, 2006 beetle bew
Sounds like a nice car. Should have many trouble free miles ahead of you if maintenance is up to date. I purchased my first tdi around 6 years ago. Have always had one around since then. I am on tdi number 4 now.