Turbo options

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I would like to get away from the vnt15 because I drive it hard a lot of the time, I'm worried about snapping the shaft. I'm not too concerned about turbo lag, but I want to keep my engine fairly reliable. No ARP head studs, water injection, nothing crazy like that. I can upgrade the exhaust at some point if needed, but for now I'll be sticking to stock.
td04hl-15t-5cm from a saab 2.3 HPT

very very nice small turbo for these engines
dead reliable with no vane garbage to mess up, and no-boost breathing is freed up by a lot, making for better lugability for starting up from stops

best yet, they're about $50 from pick and pull
were I to do it again I'd get a passat manifold and make an adapter plate rather than fabricating a tubular manifold
Still trying to decipher how to set optimum IQ.
bop the pump topcover around until the no fuel transition is smooth from overrun to power

all you're setting with topcover position is where the transfer port closes in relation to the camplate lift

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Hey how's your Insite swap coming along? I want to see that on the drag haha

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ok so another question about turbos... I have a plan for an intake upgrade, once it's built I'll work on getting the turbo.

Is there a real benefit of a vnt17/22 over a Borg Warner S7? The S7 is completely foreign to me.

Edit: Read up on the Borg Warner turbo, sounds like it's more similar to the VNT17. Think I'm still going to go with the VNT17/22.

Last edited:

Andrew Dale

TDI
MK4 TDI Golf
Ok so another question about turbos... I have a plan for an intake upgrade, once it's built I'll work on getting the turbo.

Is there a real benefit of a vnt17/22 over a Borg Warner S7? The S7 is completely foreign to me.

Edit: Read up on the Borg Warner turbo, sounds like it's more similar to the VNT17. Think I'm still going to go with the VNT17/22.
seems like its easier to adapt the 17/22 because they come stock in European TDIs.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Nero,

It's a minefield out there with the number of options.
I went with the 17/22 because I got a deal on a never installed one.
Known quantity, older generation, but tried and tested.

This would be a decided bump up, but now you start running into
block upgrades.

https://gottuned.com/product/gtb1756vk-billet-wheel-hybrid-turbo-vacuum-converted-and-welded-onto-stock-1-9-2-0tdi/

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Last night when I probably should have gone to bed I was doing a lot of forum searching to see what my realistic power goals could be without doing head studs or other internal work. Looks like 165hp is what I'm going to have to aim at. So, VNT17/22 is what I'm going to get, I'll have DFIS double check my 216 injectors to make sure they're still balanced/spray pattern is OK and go from there.

I also ordered a BRM intake, according to Malone it has the best air flow. I'll have to fab some bracketry for the EGR cooler, but that shouldn't be hard. Malone also sells an adapter for the BRM intake to adapt the ALH EGR valve so that's neat.

Now I just need to decide what gauges/where to install a boost/pyrometer so I can keep an eye on things.

With this kind of theoretical setup, should I worry about a turbo valve?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's like a boost valve to limit the spikes in building boost. On the VNTs itsl limits the vacuum when needed to prevent spikes.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Ahh, I believe you're talking about a Dawes device, a pressure relief valve on the pressurized turbo air.

Get a boost gauge, then you can monitor what's happening. That and an EGT are an easier install BEFORE you put them in the car.
My Darkside racepipe came with it already drilled and tapped for
the vacuum hose attachment. With my egr delete I had an EGR blockoff plate with the EGT probe already welded to it for the manifold. I fed both through the main wiring grommet in the firewall. You have a lot more space to accomplish this with the manifold and EGR out of the way.

I managed it all in a day with some advice from my guru, and I'm not much of a mechanic.
A 1/4"drive with a 5mm allen head socket was great for getting the manifold off.

.216 nozzles and the 17/22 will give you plenty power without overtaxing the mechanical limits of the engine. Just make sure
your vacuum system is all good. Be prepared to play with the IQ
settings, hammer mod may be necessary. Also checking dynamic
timing, and knowing how to adjust that on the IP.

You'll love it!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well I'll have to start saving up for a turbo then! Already have intake on the way, need to order the adapter from Malone, then swing by DFIS and drop off those injectors. So glad those guys are just down the street from my work :)

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Any reliable sources of a GTD1749? Several generations improved...but don't think they ever came to fit a BEW manifold.
cheers,
Douglas

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not sure, but I'm looking for one to fit an ALH manifold :)

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
These guys are offering some interesting options with manifold
attached; Here's a 17/20:

https://gottuned.com/product/garrett-vnt1720-hybrid-turbo-audi-seat-skoda-vw-1-9-2-0-tdi/

Or go all out for a few dollars more howzabout a GTB17/56vk:

https://gottuned.com/product/gtb1756vk-hybrid-turbo-vacuum-converted-and-welded-onto-stock-1-9-2-0tdi/

Both are claimed to fit the ALH.

Lol, I need another Golf to work up. Just don't have the room living
in the inner city.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I guess that's where I'm kind of at an advantage. Changed the turbo out on my dad's car yesterday with a used one. The one that came off the actuator was completely seized internally. Definitely drives better and has the low end power in trying to achieve. Definitely shows there's something janked up in my turbo.

I also have a 2002 Jetta that I pulled the head off, had a timing belt failure that I need to repair.

On top of that... I have my wifes 00 passat I'm resealing the valve cover.... Again.
A 00 E450 with a powerstroke bus chassis we're converting to an rv
A 04 jetta 1.8t I'll be teaching a friend to drive in

Six more trucks... Three running, one parts. Two projects. Tell you what definitely tests my time managing skills to the limit.

Got the OK from the little lady though, that once we do our taxes I'm going to buy a turbo then. Still leaning heavily towards Dutch, or possible Cascade German since they're local to me.