Back Up Camera Options - Camera Options

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Anyone install backup camera? I notice some Garmin GPS models have backup camera option, wireless through Bluetooth to GPS. I'm using an Android smart phone and Google Map and Waze for Nav/traffic... works good, but still want backup camera.

There are wireless WIFI backup camera transmitters that work with iPhone and Androids. They are not too much money, transmitter and camera for under $80.

With that said does anyone have ideas, pictures of how to install the backup camera. Looking at eBay there are some VW backup cameras that seem replaces the license plate light cover and replaces it for one that has camera built in.... I assume the wire runs through there into car, saves from having to drill a hole I assume. That seems to be a slick setup....The pop up VW emblems are for sale but doubt they work with my year model. Anyone know if OEM or aftermarket can retro-fit, works here?

Edit: Below are the two options I am looking at. The license plate light insert or hatch lift handle insert, these seem best place to install camera. I believe the OEM back up camera is in the handle. Price for these are $25-$35... The transmitter I found with best ratings is shown below, comes under different names, typically Audio-Vox, SunroadTek, ePark, and others for about $45. It is Wi-Fi based and runs on a Android or iPhone App.... Total about $80. Garmin blue-tooth Backup camera works with some of their GPS, cost is $180 add on, not including the GPS price. The main complaint is the Garmin has low resolution and some lag, good not great. Since I am going to smart phone for GPS duties, the WiFi setup is best....

Last edited:

johnmharte

TDI
2013 JSW TDI - 6MT/Nav/Pano
I'm running the OEM kit, bought mine on Amazon. I actually have another one in the box that was for a friend with a JSW that never needed it.

Mine worked well for about 8 months but now logs an error from time to time shows black screen on the head unit. I pull the errors on my VCDS scans. Not sure what is going on but I have the pano leak to fix first.. might be water intrusion related.

Super simple to install so long as you have VCDS.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
I don't think the radio I have has the capability for backup camera. I suppose I could buy a used one for not a lot of money. I would not mind getting the 510 with nav. I think I can upgrade for not too much money.

Thanks for the advice...

I found another option, even cheaper option. A dedicated mini LCD color monitor ($15-$25). This could be hard wired (very cheap) or for a few bucks you can get a video transmitter and receiver pair (2.4Ghz) for $8..... video.... the camera $12-$19 would make the total cost about $50 for dedicated rear view camera.

I do have a Garmin 2598LMTHD GPS which has the camera built in, but the dang camera, transmitter and receiver is $180... no thanks. However it would use the same display as the GPS and be automatic with reverse or parking lights.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I'm running the OEM kit, bought mine on Amazon. I actually have another one in the box that was for a friend with a JSW that never needed it.

Super simple to install so long as you have VCDS.
I know this is an old thread but do you still have the extra set up? selling?
thx

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
If JELLOWSUBMARINE doesn't buy it, I am interested.

I too found the Amazon kit. Car has Nav so it should be plug and play. Do you need VCDS to enable the backup camera?

Thanks.

johnmharte

TDI
2013 JSW TDI - 6MT/Nav/Pano
VCDS required, from a post in a different forum which worked for me.
Step 9: VAG COM Coding
Reconnect battery!
Go into either the radio or navigation (same thing) and click "coding" followed by "long code helper" and enable bit 6 on byte 3 (pictured)

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
If you buy a radio with the coding enabled you don’t need VCDS. You can use the RCD-510 with camera input, RNS-315, or RNS-510. I have a few RNS-510’s and an RNS-315 available and can code it for you.

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
@johnmharte
so did JellowSubmarine pick up the kit from you or no?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
@johnmharte
so did JellowSubmarine pick up the kit from you or no?
I am considering aftermarket so deal is still available

Hydesmith

TDI
2011 Sportwagen (Highline)
My radio died in my 2011 JSW, so I bought a used radio from a 2015 JSW and had VW recode it ($$). The old one did not support reverse camera, but the new one does. Each time I put the car in reverse, it tells me that the camera is not available, so now I am motivated to install a camera. I may try to find one from a wrecker, but if there is an aftermarket that's cheaper, that would be good. Or a basic camera with some sort of adapter to fit the radio.

If you buy a radio with the coding enabled you don’t need VCDS. You can use the RCD-510 with camera input, RNS-315, or RNS-510. I have a few RNS-510’s and an RNS-315 available and can code it for you.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
My radio died in my 2011 JSW, so I bought a used radio from a 2015 JSW and had VW recode it ($$). The old one did not support reverse camera, but the new one does. Each time I put the car in reverse, it tells me that the camera is not available, so now I am motivated to install a camera. I may try to find one from a wrecker, but if there is an aftermarket that's cheaper, that would be good. Or a basic camera with some sort of adapter to fit the radio.
The kits are about $106 on eBay. They ship from a China but arrive within a week. I’ve installed three of these on my vehicles and a few for others.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
My radio died in my 2011 JSW.
Where you still under CPO basic? My 2011 CPO covered an updated replacement for my rns 315 because it didn't have volume with the serius xm. Saved me $ on an update too.;)