TDi remote start?

Polak

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDi SEL
Has anyone installed a remote starter on their TDi? If so, how well does it work, what brand, and how much did it cost to have installed?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Plenty of info if you search. To my knowledge there are no remote start kits for the 2011s.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Plus, idling the CR just wastes fuel. If it's less than 25F the temp needle will barely move with 10 minutes of idling, and the ECU dumps a lot of extra fuel during post-injection to keep the EGTs up.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Although it will run the electric cabin heater to provide heat before you get in the car.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
But it provides heat. The goal behind a remote start is not to get better fuel economy. ;)

kwhitelaw

TDI
jsw white
just installed one in my '10 jsw last weekend. autopage remote start only, wasn't concerned with having the alarm also, I'll use the OEM while the car's not remote started.

install was straightforward, if you've done them before. you'll lose a key and will need an interface module to simplify the install.

StaceyS

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
MPGs are the last thing I think about when it comes to freezing my balls off in the car.
As a friend of mine from Southie (South Boston) says, "Toughen up, fluffy." :D

I haven't found the electric aux heater to do much in heating the car, and I was under the impression that the CRs are unable to maintain their own heat while idling in cold weather. Given those two, seems like the remote start is a waste of money and fuel.

I've been looking into blocking off the radiator for in-town driving. Should help the car warm up faster. Of course, the fast heater in the car is the seat heater. If I could find a steering wheel and gear shift knob heater, I'd consider adding those!

OilBurningBrit

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI DSG
As a friend of mine from Southie (South Boston) says, "Toughen up, fluffy." :D
Thanks for this ... nice to see some light-hearted stuff here once in a while. :)

I was under the impression that the CRs are unable to maintain their own heat while idling in cold weather.
Your impression is correct. I pulled up to a l-o-n-g traffic light with the temp gauge reading half way between cold and the 190-degree normal temperature with an outside temp of about 34 degrees ... and watched the needle start to fall.

And this evening, driving around in 15-18 degrees for about 20 miles one-way, the temp gauge would read 190, then puttering along at 35MPH the needle started to drop until I put more load on the engine. I can see this becoming a problem ... may head to the hardware store for grille-blocking materials tomorrow.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Blocking off the radiator grill is highly recommended... both for the faster warmup, maintaining temperature and as an aid to the infamous "icy IC" problem. (Thanks Bob Fout for that ;))

Another highly recommended option is installing a Frost Heater -- an electric coolant heater, or block heater, specifically designed for the TDIs. Plug it in when you park or set a timer to turn on 2 - 3 hours before you leave in the morning and enjoy a nice warm TDI. This will not only provide instant cabin heat when you start the engine, but it will increase your average fuel economy, particularly if you make short trips, and arguably extend engine life. The con to this is that it won't work if you don't have 120v power available, such as while parked at work.

If remote start is still your preferred option, it will at least give the coolant a 30 degree head start* and get the cabin heater going and the seat heaters warm before you leave for work.

*very rough estimate entirely dependent on temp, how far in advance you start the engine, phase of the moon, etc. ;)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I wonder if there's an OEM hack steeling parts/codes from the 2012 Passat.

Rutch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
Well from the replies to this thread, it sounds like a remote starter is a waste of money and gas. The TDIs don't seem to warm up at all when idling. So while there may be compatible remote starters out there, they won't do much good for you.

Time to bundle up! ;)

kwhitelaw

TDI
jsw white
Well from the replies to this thread, it sounds like a remote starter is a waste of money and gas. The TDIs don't seem to warm up at all when idling. So while there may be compatible remote starters out there, they won't do much good for you.

Time to bundle up! ;)
I can attest, first hand, that my Tdi warms up while using the remote start.

Only thing I wish I could do easily is tie in the seat heaters. the module used doesnt output for it and I did not feel like wiring into them directly.

I'm sure I am losing some mpg's due to the remote start, but when it is stupid cold out, I'll give up a couple mpg for a warm car.

kwhitelaw

TDI
jsw white
I answered earlier in the thread, but I have an autopage unit in my '10 tdi wagon.

installed it myself, so cant really give you an idea on cost to have a shop do it.

you will have to give up a spare key (I used my valet) and use a data module if you want to simplify the install.

if you have any other questions, feel free to pm me.

rte2MA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Blocking off the radiator grill is highly recommended... both for the faster warmup, maintaining temperature and as an aid to the infamous "icy IC" problem. (Thanks Bob Fout for that ;))

Another highly recommended option is installing a Frost Heater -- an electric coolant heater, or block heater, specifically designed for the TDIs. Plug it in when you park or set a timer to turn on 2 - 3 hours before you leave in the morning and enjoy a nice warm TDI. This will not only provide instant cabin heat when you start the engine, but it will increase your average fuel economy, particularly if you make short trips, and arguably extend engine life. The con to this is that it won't work if you don't have 120v power available, such as while parked at work.
I am interested in both of these suggestions. Can anybody supply (1) radiator blocking instructions for dummies, and (2) a recommendation for a TDI-friendly frost heater? I'm guessing this is not a Walmart item ...

BMLO13

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagon

Time to bundle up! ;)

Time to bundle up!!! A remote starter will never save me gas on short trips, because we take the "gas" burner for them, it warms up faster. My oil burner will not warm up fast, and never will.

VeeDubTDI

TDI

Time to bundle up! ;)
We'll see about that... keep your eye on this thread for data. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=340142

bvencil

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI (6MT)
While idling may not really warm the engine up to full operating temp, I've noticed that 5 minutes of idling in the morning gets the car warm enough for the defroster to melt ice on the windshield. Try to avoid as much as possible, but I am trying to avoid a lot of scraping...

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
While idling may not really warm the engine up to full operating temp, I've noticed that 5 minutes of idling in the morning gets the car warm enough for the defroster to melt ice on the windshield. Try to avoid as much as possible, but I am trying to avoid a lot of scraping...
That's probably the electric heater doing its job.

BrShootr

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVI JSW
I am interested in both of these suggestions. Can anybody supply (1) radiator blocking instructions for dummies, and (2) a recommendation for a TDI-friendly frost heater? I'm guessing this is not a Walmart item ...
Maybe we should have a search instruction for dummies...oh wait, we do!

The answer to the original question was under TDI 101.

The answer to your item 1 is under TDI 101...

The answer to your item 2 is under a thread titled ... wait for it... "FrostHeater"!! under your MKVI section.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
At 10*F my aux heaters got me warm enough !!!! They work great and with the heated seats I don't see the need to idle the car warm at all !!! YMMV ;)

I

ihatespeed

I had a stretch of single digits, and the car would not maintain normal operating temp while driving at 50-60mph with the heater fan on 3, 2 was a little sketchy, so a radiator block off is probably prudent, besides its tried and true tech, look at every big truck on the road, they have nice bra's that are easily adjustable! it starts great cold, so im not sold that a frost heater is totally necessary coupled with unfavorable plug in parking conditions and high electric costs.. What are some of the block off plans? I saw a few using pipe insulation, but it sort of looks like a pita with questionable coverage..