"Hauntings"--Random Electrical Phenomenons.

ncbound44

TDI
1991 VW diesel, 2002 Jetta TDI
I have an 2002 Jetta TDI that experiences random "hauntings". These occur when I go to start my car. Sometimes they start when I take my key out after driving. I have attached a link to a video of them. Sometimes I have 5 a day, sometimes 1 a month. In short--I lose all electric and then it flickers back. I either touch the brake and/or turn the ignition, and I lose all power. Then clock and trip reset when I un-touch which ever of the two I did....and it continues until I jiggle my negative battery connection--sometimes once, sometimes it takes 20 trips from jiggle connection, see if it stopped etc.

Sometimes I get a WARNING--the check engine light and brake light will flash at random and unsynchronized rates. I have emergency light beeping as well. When I stop the car and turn it off and then try to start it again, sometimes I get a light show of the lights blinking, and the lights everywhere in the car going up and down, and the emergency beeps.

What I have done:
1. checked grounds
2. cleaned negative connection and reattached, snug.
3. replaced my ignition switch
4. replaced the battery
5. Cleaned all fuses in the fuse box.
6. blessed my car with holy water

LUCKILY I have no lose of electrical supply when actually driving--but once, 10 hours of the lights on the dash and the insane beeping.

Does anyone have any ideas?

The link is to the fun light stuff it sometimes does:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1odIfSdmeO_3FTPs9mDL9_0BZkUhbAgrX/view?usp=sharing

This link is to what happens with electrical power loss--this happens every time the lights above happen:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13W_RpFU-RE004OI7P8ghrHcDJBAt5814/view?usp=sharing

I appreciate any and all help!

Last edited:

Mad_Dasher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 silver Jetta
Use your smart phone to take a picture of your fuse box then take each fuse out and clean the contacts with fine sandpaper (400-600 grade). When you are done make sure your fuses are in their proper location. This procedure solved many of my problems and it's easy.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
It could be the actual battery cable itself starting to corrode internally in the housing. I had this happen on the positive cable going to the starter and it would cause intermittent no starts until I wiggled that cable. Replaced that and all was good again

ncbound44

TDI
Use your smart phone to take a picture of your fuse box then take each fuse out and clean the contacts with fine sandpaper (400-600 grade). When you are done make sure your fuses are in their proper location. This procedure solved many of my problems and it's easy.
I forgot to list it, but I actually did try this! unfortunately, it did not help.

ncbound44

TDI
It could be the actual battery cable itself starting to corrode internally in the housing. I had this happen on the positive cable going to the starter and it would cause intermittent no starts until I wiggled that cable. Replaced that and all was good again
I actually have a positive cable from a donor car, but after further testing of grounds and the cable itself etc, it was decided I should not replace it....but it might be worth the try.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Did you clean the grounds or just check them?
From your 1st post: '1. checked grounds'

If you can catch it maybe check for voltage drops with a volt meter.
When the key is on and no lights:

Measure the voltage from the negative post of the battery (not the clamp) to the case of the transmission.

Measure the voltage from the positive post of the battery (not the clamp) to the stud it connects to in the fuse box above the battery.

I would not want to see more then a few tenths of a volt.

Maybe try the same tests with the car running, lights and AC on high.
Also measure from the battery positive post to each individual wire leaving the fuse box over the battery to the circuits.

Relay 109 can cause havoc but it should not reset the trip mileage.