Key stolen for 2015 Golf. Need advice

Paramingus

TDI
Golf, 2002, Black
My wife's purse containing the key fob for our 2015 Golf was stolen out of our other car while parked in our driveway. We don't think whoever did this will try to come back to steal the car, but don't like the idea that it could happen. Still in a fog over the whole situation, so was hoping to get some advice on what to do next. Is doing everything at the dealership the only/best option? I see Rockauto sells key fobs but I guess what would need to be done about the laser cutting and reprogramming? Any advice would be helpful!

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I am guessing you only have one key? If so, make that a lesson NEVER only have one key. I would first disable the car so it cannot be stolen. Disconnect something that will render it inoperative.

As far as the key goes, I believe the dealer is now your only option due to the encrypted RFID transponder. I think towing the car to a dealer is likely your only option. The dealer should be able to disable the other FOB so it cannot be used to start the car.

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
....solution:
1) let said car be stolen. (Conveniently empty car of all person belongings prior)
2) receive ins. money
3) skip over having to worry with dealer over key replacement.
4) Profit.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Devil's advocate: insurance companies struggle mightily to ensure #4 only happens for them, not for you.

To really ensure the most comprehensive solution, you'd need new keys, new lock cylinders for those new keys, and reprogramming. Insurance might foot the bill, but your interest in pursuing this solution may depend on what the comprehensive deductible is.

Good luck,

PH

PS: if it is a stick, the chances they want to steal the car drop precipitously!