biodiesel ok as start-stop in wvo system?

RobRidd

TDI
2003 Jetta tdi wagon
Hi all,

I've been trolling posts for hours -- damn! -- and have found that most greasers seem to use petrodiesel in their start-stop tank. Any reason why I shouldn't use biodiesel instead? I'm in San Francisco and not worried about gelling.

My system (installed by VegRev in Oakland) can be seen here: http://www.vegrev.com/projectdetails.php?current_project=34.

I'm also mindful of the problems with switching between ULS diesel and biofuel -- the shrinking and swelling of fuel pump seals leading to dead pumps.

I bought my '03 wagon with 55,000 miles of ULSD use, and converted it a month ago.

In passing, anyone know how can I find club members in my area?

Sorry, one more random question: anyone know exactly where the stock engine temp sensor is located? Is it in the coolant somewhere?

Thanks,
rob

vwcampin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS TDI Auto
RobRidd said:
Hi all,

I've been trolling posts for hours -- damn! -- and have found that most greasers seem to use petrodiesel in their start-stop tank. Any reason why I shouldn't use biodiesel instead? I'm in San Francisco and not worried about gelling.

My system (installed by VegRev in Oakland) can be seen here: http://www.vegrev.com/projectdetails.php?current_project=34.

I'm also mindful of the problems with switching between ULS diesel and biofuel -- the shrinking and swelling of fuel pump seals leading to dead pumps.

I bought my '03 wagon with 55,000 miles of ULSD use, and converted it a month ago.

In passing, anyone know how can I find club members in my area? Rob, check out the regional forums sections for some locals in your area: http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31

Sorry, one more random question: anyone know exactly where the stock engine temp sensor is located? Is it in the coolant somewhere? Try this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=89431

Thanks,
rob
As to biodiesel use for your start stop tank, it should be fine. Make sure the fuel lines the VegRev guys used are biodiesel compatible though. The fuel lines that come with the Greasecar kit are not bio-d compatible. I need to switch mine out so I can start running biodiesel as well. If you do go that route, make sure you are getting quality, washed biodiesel. I would think that an unwashed batch of biodiesel could cause your WVO to start to react and cause a pretty big problem.

coyotlviejo

TDI
99.5 Jetta
Just be aware that there are temperature concerns with bio. It will cloud and gel at low temps. (The actual geling temps will vary by feedstock.)

Dan

mrchaotica

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle
Of course biodiesel is okay if you're using a WVO setup! It's okay if you're not using WVO, and even if it weren't, WVO would kill your engine way before biodiesel would.

The reason most WVO people aren't using biodiesel is that if they had access to biodiesel there'd be no reason for them to bother with WVO anymore!

B100 is exactly as "green" as WVO and you're much less likely to murder your TDI with it. If you can get it, biodiesel is superior to WVO in every way.

As for gelling, why would you worry anyway? If you're using WVO then you already have a means of heating the fuel; just heat the biodiesel tank too!

aNUT

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'01 TT (ALH-ish), B7 Audi gasser, '05 Golf
The coolant temp sensor is in the flange on the driver's side of the head, just below the vacuum pump.

The fuel temp sensor, which is used to calculate IQ and advance, is inside the pump below the top cover.

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
I have access to biodiesel, and I still choose to burn WVO. It is much cheaper and at least a little greener. Anecdotally, there seem to be about as many biodiesel problems as WVO problems. In either case, you are using an experimental, unapproved fuel.

I'd say, if you can get it, WVO is superior in many ways to biodiesel.

Just because you are heating the WVO tank, it would still be a pretty big job to heat the biodiesel tank. And you would still have cold biodiesel when you start the car on a cold morning.

The temp sensor is in the coolant. But be aware it is not directly reading the temperature. It is buffered in some way by the computer.

rosycrown

TDI
2004 Jetta
BD works for this.

Hi,
Local folks have had good results using BD to start their SVO systems rather than using D2 in San Francisco's mild climate. A great local resource is Biofuel Oasis in Berkley. You can contact them here:

http://www.biofueloasis.com

I am not connected with them in anyway. I just like supporting women in business, especially green business.

RobRidd

TDI
2003 Jetta tdi wagon
biodiesel in start-stop tank

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. I didn't imagine there was a problem running biodiesel/WVO as opposed to dinodiesel/WVO, but one never knows.
grease,
rob