Finding a standard transmission in a new VW

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jaguar XE TDI, 2014 Sportwagen TDI
I checked with the nearest VW dealer and he assured me that VW no longer imports any vehicles with a standard transmission. Since I'll be looking to replace my wife's vehicle in 2019 (her Jaguar, not my VW) and she would like a standard transmission I'm wondering if anyone has tried going through a vehicle importer to get a car that meets US specs for engine, etc., but has a standard transmission? I think I'm going to try to find a vehicle importer and check to see if it's possible. I hate manual transmissions and would love to find a good 6 sp manual for 2019.

Graham Line

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Golf TDI 6M
What VW model are you shopping? Manual trans is available with lower-priced models of some. Actually finding one can be a chore. My son ran into so much misinformation from dealers that he ended up buying through a service contracted to his credit union. Spec'd color, model, trans etc. Car he wanted came from a dealer 90 miles away.

I'm confused; you say, "I hate manual transmissions and would love to find a good 6 sp manual for 2019."

https://www.caranddriver.com/flipbo...till-buy-with-a-manual-transmission-in-2018#1

Last edited:

Pharcyde145

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
From what I can find after doing a brief search, both the 2019 Jetta and Golf Sportwagen will still come with the 6spd. There are a few press releases about it, from car review sites like Jalopnik etc. and from VW itself.