2001 Audi B5 A4 Quattro - OEM TDI Conversion

icrashcars

TDI
B5 A4
New to Diesels, but 20+ years owning/ modding VAG cars.
I came into possession of a 2001 B5 A4 Quatrro Avant with a bad motor as part of a trade.
After some research, I have decided to convert to TDI. Using as many OEM components as possible.
I just bought a sub 100k mile 1.9 AJM motor from europe, with OEM B5 A4 harness and ECU.
I havent been able to find much info on Quattro transmission options for this engine.
Right now, the car has an OEM 5 speed manual. I can get the OEM 6 speed TDI 01e, but in an effort to save money I'd like to keep the 5 speed for now.
Is this possible? What are my options?
1.9 side by britt edward, on Flickr
Untitled by britt edward, on Flickr

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
04 passat tdi 6spd stage2 webasto TC3 , 04 passatW8 6 spd, 10 Jetta TDI 6spd stage 1
well for starters get your trans code so you also know your rear diff ratio then when you run into a trans you know if it matches.

catbed

TDI
03 ALH 90 Ranger
5 speed will bolt up, but will not hold as much power as an 01E. 01E will require a v6 sub-frame or custom driver side trans mount, along with a diff and axles. front axles you can use b5 s4 with 01E as they have the same larger outer CV joints as your 01, or you can swap the axle flanges from the 5 speed to 6 speed and use your stock axles.

automatics and 01E have the same final drive

where did you buy the motor from?

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
04 passat tdi 6spd stage2 webasto TC3 , 04 passatW8 6 spd, 10 Jetta TDI 6spd stage 1
5 speed will bolt up, but will not hold as much power as an 01E. 01E will require a v6 sub-frame or custom driver side trans mount, along with a diff and axles. front axles you can use b5 s4 with 01E as they have the same larger outer CV joints as your 01, or you can swap the axle flanges from the 5 speed to 6 speed and use your stock axles.

automatics and 01E have the same final drive

where did you buy the motor from?

Automatics and 6 speeds are usually not even close to the same final drive,
most 6 speeds are 4.11 and some are 4.375, 3.88 or 3.875 whereas most automatics are in the low 3 range and even high 2's

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
Additional Transmission Gearing Info

https://workshop-manuals.com/audi/a...hanical_units_transmission_ratios_capacities/

I bought the engine on ebay from a guy in the UK. Shipping is the biggest pain, but I have ordered lots or large euro parts and have a decent shipping company. I have them shipped to a port and pick up myself. It's cheaper now that i do all my own import paperwork.

Who did you use for shipping from the UK? Tried getting some quotes from shipping companies but no luck.

catbed

TDI
03 ALH 90 Ranger
Automatics and 6 speeds are usually not even close to the same final drive,
most 6 speeds are 4.11 and some are 4.375, 3.88 or 3.875 whereas most automatics are in the low 3 range and even high 2's
for B5 audis? I put a 01E in my A4 and used an automatic rear diff. :confused:

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
for B5 audis? I put a 01E in my A4 and used an automatic rear diff. :confused:

Without checking the codes or ratio's?
You know the code of the matching auto?, the diff should also have a 3 letter code if you don't. The original trans code can be found on the sticker in your manual, or trunk or on the trans.

icrashcars

TDI
B5 A4
Thanks for that, looks reasonable pricing, was their service good?
Ive never had a package lost from any carrier. But they could take a long time unless shipping air freight ($$$$).

All of them have terrible customer service and tracking, but if youre patient and can handle some paperwork, they go pretty smoothly.

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
Ive never had a package lost from any carrier. But they could take a long time unless shipping air freight ($$$$).

All of them have terrible customer service and tracking, but if youre patient and can handle some paperwork, they go pretty smoothly.

I'd be happy if it gets here undamaged or pieces lost, i know ocean freight is slow.

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
I have a TDI quattro 5-speed manual if you're interested. That'll be a drop-in swap for your current 5-speed manual with the right front shafts (which I also have). Happy to ship from the UK :)