B5.5 W8 4Motion

moosejaw

Veteran Member
TDI
*Sold* 2005 Passat GLS TDI Shadow Blue
Spotted this (rare to me) car yesterday 06Jan2016 at Olive & 270, not too far from OilHammer's workplace (CarDoc). I have seen many Passats around here but never a 4M and certainly not any W8's. Really nice looking car with the quad exhaust tips.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Even rarer (but available) are W8 4Motions as Variant wagons with 6sp manual gearboxes! They sound sweet with a flat-ish-crank V8 on full growl, even better with an aftermarket exhaust. Problematic and generally unloved engine though.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, not that great of an engine for sure. The biturbo 2.7L V6 that Audi used is far better and just as powerful.

The "W" engine configuration is intriguing though. The W12 Phaetons probably are no better, but those are so rare that I could not tell you much of anything about them. Most Phaetons got the much better V8.

I have no love for the VR6. :cool:

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
There's a B5.5 W8 and an Audi A6 with the 2.7, both in the driveway.
They're kind of a bastard to work on!

moosejaw

Veteran Member
TDI
*Sold* 2005 Passat GLS TDI Shadow Blue
My brother works at a trucking company in Hazelwood (off McDonnel Blvd). My first time driving into the lot to do repairs on my '85 W126 (he was using it) what do I see parked in front of the building?

A Phaeton. I don't know what year it is but I don't think it matters. The fact that it hasn't broke down in a large puff of leaking magic smoke is amazing to me.