CP3 fuel pump upgrade thread

ThatTDILife

TDI
2012 JSW 6MT in Plat. Grey Metalic
I finished my cp3 conversion yesterday and what I can say is:

First I Bleeded my input line to the pump. To make sure there is no dirt in this line, which could happened while working / cutting.
After a good amount came out, I connected it.
Then I bleeded the line to the fuel rail.
Which took a good time, till fuel went up there.
Connected it and then I let run the tank fuel pump for an other 4 minutes.
cranked It and it came after not more than 8 seconds.
Already pushed over 2700bars with that pump. So I think it’s good. 🤣

the first thing I notice with that pump Is: the car starts faster. Not much. Maybe one or 1.5 revolutions. But it does. Which is kinda cool. So instead of 3 revolutions, it takes now about 1.5-2
I am gonna have to try that with a buddy this weekend. A ton of people told me I didn't need to so I hadn't yet

ThatTDILife

TDI
Think I found my problem, getting a lot of fuel flow through the return on the rail whole trying to start it up. Could that be the problem?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Think I found my problem, getting a lot of fuel flow through the return on the rail whole trying to start it up. Could that be the problem?
Could be.

what is the fuel meter valve number? It should be something like

0 928 400 706

Or this,

Cp3 valve is 0 928 400 643

ThatTDILife

TDI
Could be.

what is the fuel meter valve number? It should be something like

0 928 400 706

Or this,

Cp3 valve is 0 928 400 643
Its either this one 057130764H or 057130764AB. Both look the same but one is marked as being for an Audi (But only having fitment for VWs) and the other is for VWs on the listing. I am gonna call up Matt at Whitebread Performance and double check with him as he has been helping me out with this

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Perfect, Matt is excellent. I dealt with him on several occasions and always have positive outcomes.

searched this 057130764H and 057130764AB it comes out as fuel rail sensor.

Hmm what behaviors are your car doing?

my guess would be Piss poor MPG, limp mode, poor performance. Choppy acceleration at WOT?

ThatTDILife

TDI
Perfect, Matt is excellent. I dealt with him on several occasions and always have positive outcomes.

searched this 057130764H and 057130764AB it comes out as fuel rail sensor.

Hmm what behaviors are your car doing?

my guess would be Piss poor MPG, limp mode, poor performance. Choppy acceleration at WOT?
I had a CP3 failure, swapped out the new pump and now the car will not run/will barely run and die out, bunch of weird codes lead towards low fuel pressure.

The part I was referring to as flowing too much fuel on start up is fuel line on the right side of the fuel rail that does a 180 degree turn off the fuel rail and into the return line.

Matt explained it and basically since all the fuel pressure is going past the injectors and out that sensor they car will barely run or wont at all. Once that sensor is fixed the injectors will have enough pressure to run

ThatTDILife

TDI
Well either I messed up the new sensor or something else is going on with the car now. I installed the new fuel pressure regulator and tried to start it but I didn't get much further than last time. Took off the return line on the fuel rail and its still pouring fuel out of it.

I did some research and found that the pressure regulator will not work until it gets over 250 bar, but I confirmed with VCDS that I am getting 400+ bar at the rail. Anyone have any ideas as to what might also be going on?

ThatTDILife

TDI
Well either I messed up the new sensor or something else is going on with the car now. I installed the new fuel pressure regulator and tried to start it but I didn't get much further than last time. Took off the return line on the fuel rail and its still pouring fuel out of it.

I did some research and found that the pressure regulator will not work until it gets over 250 bar, but I confirmed with VCDS that I am getting 400+ bar at the rail. Anyone have any ideas as to what might also be going on?
To add to this I just found out that it dumps all pressure after you stop cranking the car, gonna have a friend come by and crank the car tomorrow while I watch the return line to be sure its working right

sauron18

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI DSG
I had a CP3 failure, swapped out the new pump and now the car will not run/will barely run and die out, bunch of weird codes lead towards low fuel pressure.

The part I was referring to as flowing too much fuel on start up is fuel line on the right side of the fuel rail that does a 180 degree turn off the fuel rail and into the return line.

Matt explained it and basically since all the fuel pressure is going past the injectors and out that sensor they car will barely run or wont at all. Once that sensor is fixed the injectors will have enough pressure to run
What cp3 failed? Planning to get one from Matt. He sells know the United Diesel cp3. Stevenson and him was selling the Xman cp3 but the pump is failing. Stevenson stopped selling it and Matt changed the supplier.

ThatTDILife

TDI
What cp3 failed? Planning to get one from Matt. He sells know the United Diesel cp3. Stevenson and him was selling the Xman cp3 but the pump is failing. Stevenson stopped selling it and Matt changed the supplier.
The ones failing are all from Xman, United seems to be good from what I’ve seen and worth it.

sauron18

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI DSG
The ones failing are all from Xman, United seems to be good from what I’ve seen and worth it.
Yeah... from what i have read United seems like a good option. My TDI is Malone stage 3 CR170 hybrid at wot is giving me the P0087. Changed the fuel rail and nothing same thing. It has to be the CP4 failing or not doing it's job.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Yeah... from what i have read United seems like a good option. My TDI is Malone stage 3 CR170 hybrid at wot is giving me the P0087. Changed the fuel rail and nothing same thing. It has to be the CP4 failing or not doing it's job.
Stage 3 is the limit of them. They just don't have the flow

sauron18

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI DSG
Stage 3 is the limit of them. They just don't have the flow
Yep know that myself... it simply can't flow enough for the Xman cr170. It always give me the P0087 at wot. Stage 3 oem cr170 is the limit of the pumps.

I will concur that Matt at Whitbread's CP3 pumps, kit and support is great. I have done many and no failures from the United Diesel pumps.
So far yes. Everyone who brought from him is happy and no problem at all. Will wait for BF to buy one from him.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Does anyone have a link for the United Diesel pumps? Looking to buy CP3 pump with the kit to install next time I do a timing belt and hoping to get one that doesnt fail on me.

Tuheeden

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 & 2014 Jetta sportwagon
Does anyone have a link for the United Diesel pumps? Looking to buy CP3 pump with the kit to install next time I do a timing belt and hoping to get one that doesnt fail on me.
I just installed my 4th kit from Whitbread today.
But I would buy the kit from Whitbread and you get a 1 year warranty.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I just installed my 4th kit from Whitbread today.
But I would buy the kit from Whitbread and you get a 1 year warranty.
Do you mean buy the adapter kit from whitbread or also buy the reman pump? Or should I buy the pump from United Diesel themselves? Not sure if its new from them or not.

Tuheeden

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you mean buy the adapter kit from whitbread or also buy the reman pump? Or should I buy the pump from United Diesel themselves? Not sure if its new from them or not.
I would buy both from Whitbread mainly because then you have recourse to someone in the US.

And I really like their kit. ;)

Tuheeden

Veteran Member
TDI
Awesome. Wasnt sure if a reman pump would be a good choice compared to the new one.
To be honest, I don't think there are ANY new CP3 pumps manufactured any longer. All of the pumps sold are pulled from older vehicles in Europe.

Some correct me if I am wong on this.

sauron18

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI DSG
Whitbread sells the United Diesel CP3 and kit. So you can buy it from him. Will wait for BF to buy mine. He was selling Xman CP3 but stopped selling it because of failures. Jeff Stevenson was selling the Xman CP3 and stopped selling it too. So right now the best option is United Diesel directly or buying it from Whitbread.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I heard you could use the metering valve from a certain duramax engine and its a plus from the CP4/CP3 ones. Correct me if Im wrong.

Also if I buy the whitbread kit, does it come with the metering valve and all?

sauron18

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI DSG
I heard you could use the metering valve from a certain duramax engine and its a plus from the CP4/CP3 ones. Correct me if Im wrong.

Also if I buy the whitbread kit, does it come with the metering valve and all?
Yes it comes with everything. To run 100% needs to be tuned. I read that with the correct metering valve a tune is not needed but Matt told me that´s not true.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Ummmmm I run correct fuel meter valve and no issues. They may try to milk you out of it for fuel meter tuning.
I have been at this since 2015.

Original CP4 meter valve is looked it up. cp4 is different. fuel meter valve for cp4 is 0 928 400 706

Common wrong fuel meter valve is 928 400 493, too big! Causing piss poor MPG and performance etc.

Correct valve is 928 400 643 for the CP3’s. Im on the 3rd set now. First one was for my old 2011 JSW with 185k miles in 2015 and RIP (rear ended) at 300k miles and one for my friend’s JSW and one for my current JSW.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep its a nice peace of mind. Have anyone ever have this done? If so, what was the result? From before and after. Fuel economy, power wise etc.

Tuheeden

Veteran Member
TDI
I have had 3 done but I didn't do much science before and after. All 3 ran for a full day or two before I applied the tune.