Brake Light Problem

JoeK_TDI

TDI
Have a 2002 Golf TDI. Was just informed that my right brake light was not working. Left and center brake lights work as do all other lights on the right hand side.

Changed the bulb - old bulb had a black burn mark on it but no visible gap in wire. Right brake light still does not work.

Got the volt meter out. Checked the tail light circuit board - works on the brake circuit.

Checked the electrical connector to the circuit board. No power in the connector to the right brake light circuit in the connector.

Before I start tracing the right brake wire (red w/ gray stripe) back to the source and look for any breaks (while disasembling the interior of the car in the process), does anyone have any ideas of anywhere else I should look?

Tx.

snoopy

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, Cyber green
Same problem on my NB. The connector for the brake light bulb has 3 wires coming out of it that go to the pigtail in the electrical circuit. Wires are labeled 1, 2 and 3 on the connector. #3 wire controls input to the tail/brake light.

#3 wire appeared connected but wasn't connected inside the connector. #3 wire was the culprit for me. Can't buy a new connector so I got a used one at a junkyard that had a pigtail on it. Spliced wires and now everything is back to normal.