99.5 Golf ALH starts then dies

evolveVW

TDI
1999 Golf TDI
Long story short- hit a bump in the road (at night, didnt see how big it was) that broke the block where the passenger side engine mount bracket bolts to it. Also sheared off the bolt just in front of the timing belt tensioner. Car ran for about ten seconds and died. Would not start again. The engine had moved forward, and the bracket contacted the tensioner pulley enough to drag on it a bit. Got the car home and managed to get it to at least start, run poorly for less than ten seconds, and died. The car was belching white fuel smoke from the exhaust. So at this point it think retarded IP timing or bent valves. As an interesting side note, a Hyundai hit the same bump, and shredded its tranny just before I hit the bump. Gears on the ground, the whole nine.

Fast forward. Tear everything apart to fix the mount issues (thank you dieselgeek!) Reset static timing, the crank was off about a tooth. Put everything back together, still the same issue.

Background info
No codes in VAG-Com
Fuel shut off solenoid just replaced.
Timing belt done less than 5K ago.
Has RC3 and Sprint520s.
Glow plugs, harness, and relay all have been replaced since I have owned the car.

I havent poured through the no start thread again yet, but would appreciate any specific insight. TIA. Havent done a compression test yet, seemed ok when rotating it by hand, but who knows.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Did you look at the lifters? Triple check the timing. A tooth at the crank pulley is a LOT. On the flywheel its nothing.

evolveVW

TDI
1999 Golf TDI
Lifters looked fine. The Crank holding tool would not bolt on before I reset the crank, the one bolt hole was off just enough not to be able to get the bolt in. I figured crank movement is probably too much.

vwjettadsl

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
TDI’s
Like Jason said, triple check your timing. If all is fine then try unplugging the small vacuum hose going to the back side of the EGR, not the big vacuum hose on top of the EGR.

Might help and it might not.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
That's a pretty common issue too. Had one Yesterday morning.

evolveVW

TDI
1999 Golf TDI
Tried that hose, no difference.

Well, compression test went like this:

Cylinder-
1= 380psi held pressure
2= 370psi held pressure
3= ~380 then fell to zero
4= ~380 then fell to zero

Would lead me to think valves on 3 and 4...