Convert GMC Canyon to diesel?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I didn't see any threads on this type of conversion and am wondering if anyone has done this? I know my wife would string me up if I started to rip the truck apart since it only has 40,000 miles on it but it is something that I am keeping in the back of my mind.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Since the truck is an 07, it sounds like I would have to put a CR into it and don't think I want to go down that path yet. Let's get the hpfp issue figured out and then maybe...

Of course maybe by that time we'll be able to buy amaroks here!

FredS

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf GL 5spd, 00 NB 5spd, 94 Toyota-01ALH
how much does the truck weigh now. That's usually a good starting point, in deciding if the TDI is enough motor for the weight of the vehicle you're thinking about converting.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Weighs about 5000 pounds with the 4 cyl and 5 speed tranny

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
From the GM brochure. It's an extended cab too.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
What does the GVWR show as on the door sticker? Because 5000 pounds seems extremely heavy for the curb weight. F150s don't even weigh that much unless you get into the bigger, longer, 4WD versions.

I only ask because my friend's Taco that we recently took to the scrapper and had to weigh before and after was only 3700, and that is also a 4 door, with a V6 and 4WD. It is the older (smaller) one though. And I know it is made of tin foil. ;)

But that figure stuck in my head because it was something I had considered using for a TDI swap and was curious what it weighed.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
My s-10 v6 4wd 5sp, which has much of the same guts as the canyon, tips the scales around 3800.
Actually it doesn't have any of the same 'guts', but that weight is much more realistic and what I would expect. I doubt the [big] 4 cyl in the Canyon weighs as much as the big 4.3L all cast iron lump does. Transmissions, although different, is probably pretty close though.

So, the Colorado is bigger, but is it 1200 pounds bigger? Doubt it.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Checked the sticker last night but was having internet issues. Yep, it also says 5000 pounds. Must be more to the Canyon than even I thought. It also has higher tow ratings than the similar equiped S-10.

oilhammer

TDI
OK, your sticker says 5000 pounds? That is the GVWR, not the curb weight. Common mistake. GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is the curb weight PLUS the full payload, PLUS a full tank of fuel.

So it probably tips the scales empty at a more reasonable 3600-3800 pounds, since its payload (being a pickup) should be pretty substantial in comparison to a passenger car.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You're right. I was looking at it wrong. GVWR is 5000 pounds and total payload capacity is 1384 pounds, so subtracting the payload capacity from the GVWR gives me 3616 pounds of curb weight.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I've wondered what your options would be with gearing with a colorado/canyon. Could you swap in a v8 h3 axle to get taller ratios? would they be tall enough?

I know with the Ranger you can swap in a Mustang axle equipped with 2.73's or another Ranger axle with 3.08's (original in my truck is 3.73's).

kwalsh24

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf 2dr (SOLD), 09 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Sorry for digging up an older topic. I've been working on a 05 canyon with a inline 5 gasser engine. I also have a 06 jetta parts car with a decent brm engine but iffy 5spd tranny kicking around. After seeing this topic come up in a Google search it now has me thinking about what it could take to do the swap over. Did anything come from this posting or was it left for the dead?

Jlblob

TDI
Chevy LUV swap to be
I didn't see any threads on this type of conversion and am wondering if anyone has done this? I know my wife would string me up if I started to rip the truck apart since it only has 40,000 miles on it but it is something that I am keeping in the back of my mind.
The brand new ones have a diesel option don't they? May be an easier swap

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
Sorry for digging up an older topic. I've been working on a 05 canyon with a inline 5 gasser engine. I also have a 06 jetta parts car with a decent brm engine but iffy 5spd tranny kicking around. After seeing this topic come up in a Google search it now has me thinking about what it could take to do the swap over. Did anything come from this posting or was it left for the dead?
Someone has done a canyon tdi swap. Used a PD iirc so its applicable to your situation. Theres a build thread on here, might have to dig a bit for it.

kwalsh24

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf 2dr (SOLD), 09 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Yep got it by doing a quick tdiclub + canyon on Google lol. Hmm kinda out a dampener on my idea of doing the project as i lack the cnc & tuner friends lol

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk