New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

76bassman

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI 5sp

Good morning everyone. This is my first VW and the first diesel I've owned. I am not new to diesels, as I've been a heavy equipment mechanic for almost 20 years, but I am really looking forward to figuring out what this thing can do. I plan on learning a lot from you all. thanks for having me!

willjedboxer

TDI
2014 jetta tdi
fuel filter change on 2014 TDI

Guys, when I change my fuel filter can it successfully be done without priming it? Of course I will fill the canister back up with fuel and keeps the lines up with the least amount of drainage from them. I know with the new engines u can't turn the key and prime which I will never understand. I heard a guy say he did it successfully keeping the rpm around 2300 after it started.

Thanks,
Will

starjays

TDI
2000 NB 5MT
hi, just this week I sold my '02 GLS jetta that had been sitting at my uncle's shop for about a year. After the guy paid me for it, he called back saying the auto tranny wasn't shifting into 4th gear and he wanted his money back. He'd taken it to some local mechanics who were wanting anywhere from $1,500 to $3,000 to put in a replacement tranny. The in-house mechanic at my uncle's shop did some looking and found that a squirrel had chewed through the speed sensor cable and once that was dealt with it shifted great, as it did before I parked it. The car has about 160K miles on it with the T-belt having been changed around 80K. The buyer was emphatic that a new T-belt would be one of his first orders of business. I loved that car, but it was not without it's problems, e.g. rear axle bushings, oil leaking from intercooler (I think). On the whole, a great car. A month ago I bought a '11 JSW and was pretty clueless about the issues folks are seeing, e.g. hpfp, dpf, iced intercooler, but after spending hours on the forums I'm, well, a little concerned. But, I'll just stick to the "drive more, worry less" script that served me pretty well with my former TDI and continue to check back here for new developments. Cheers!!

shift957

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta
Great forum you all have here! Looking forward to learning lots and possibly helping others when I can.

About me: I instruct and coach sport bike riders on race tracks on the mid east coast, so I do a lot of traveling. Been using a 2001 E350 diesel van to haul bikes and gear and occasionally a 18x8.5 enclosed trailer with bikes and or a car in it. I moved from Va to Ky and need something that gets a bit better mileage than my van which averages 17ish mpg, sans trailer. So, I believe an 03 Jetta TDI Wagon would be my best bet to haul a lightweight trailer and one or two bikes on it. From what I read, it sounds like an auto would possibly jump gears a bit towing the bikes.

While writing this, I got a call back from a dealer I contacted and am in the works for getting what I am looking for, pending a good carfax report. Keeping fingers crossed...

cheers

matts14TDI

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Hey all! So I pulled the trigger on a 14 Jetta TDI (value edition, but who cares?) just today! Traded in my year old F150 for it. Whole new world going from a truck to a tiny little car. This is my first ever non Ford vehicle, and my second (first new) diesel. Last was a 6.0 PSD in an F350. After reading through the break in threads it sounds like I have some fun in my future, driving wise! I cant wait to break her in. I think I might take the long way home from work!

CQWTDI

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Hello from Hollister, CA! Finally got off the mark and purchased a 2015 Passat TDI SEL. So far so good! Plan on going to the Bay Area GTG in April to see what is possible mod-wise.
Cqw tdi

Outlier

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Ladies and gents... I am the new and apprehensive owner of my first Volkswagen and first diesel. The poor guy has been a bit neglected, but I picked him up for cheap and hope to have him squared away before the year is over. I have been a dealership technician for 10 years; the last 3 months being with VW and Audi. I do not see many MkIV or MkV cars so it will be nice to have something to tinker with. :)

Jbrianfoto

TDI
None, yet.
New to the TDI forum - a little about myself....

I'm brand new to the TDI forum, though I have some history with VW from my youth. I have been neck deep into Diesel Mercedes work for the past 10 years. I have spent a lot of time over on the PeachParts Mercedes forum - writing and photographing all of the work I'v done to my small fleet of w124 Mercedes station wagons.

My wife (also our accountant) just did out taxes. She keeps track of everything - she came to me a few weeks ago and said we'd spent a little over $13K on maintenance for our daily driver (a 1987 300td with over 300K miles). At that rate, we might as well just buy a new car. This would keep me from spending absolutely every weekend covered in diesel oil.

I haven't owned a new car since 1998.

My daily commute here in the Washington DC area (Fredericksburg, VA to Falls Church, VA) adds up to just over 100 miles round trip. One weekend a month I travel to central Virginia, so on those weeks I do 1000 miles total. All others we rack up between 600-700 miles. Tough on a 28 year old car.

We have decided to get a new station wagon, specifically the 2015 Golf TDI (when it comes out in April), with a 6 speed manual. This sounds exactly like the car that we need. We test drove a Jetta Diesel sedan and were tickled with everything it has to offer.

My first step towards buying a new car was to find the right forum where all of the gear heads hang out. That's how I ended up here. I will be spending the next few days pouring over all of the delicious info which is laid out here.

What I'd like to say first off is this: It is really cool how similar the love for diesel cars is from brand to brand. I read here of the unique driving expirence a VW has to offer. We (over in the Mercedes community) feel exactly the same about our diesels. So it seems the move I'm making will feel natural. I love working on my old wagons and my Son's sedan (they're all exactly the same year and drivetrain, so I only have one system to learn). I completely understand that wether old or new, good maintenance is key to the longevity of any machine. I aim to educate myself to the care/feeding of the TDI engine.

Lastly, a little on my background: I am a telecommunications engineer working for the DoD here in Northern Virginia. I am also in the Army National Guard, nearing retirement. Other than my passion for my old Diesel Merc's I am a lifelong lover and practitioner of analog photography (third generation photographer).

Thank you for welcoming me into this wonderful community.

n8tgc

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG
New to the forum. Owned several VWs in the past (two Foxs, two Jetta sedans, one Scirocco and a Eurovan), all gas. Last January, bought a Jetta SW TDI and a Tiguan for my wife.

Couldn't be more thrilled with our choices (though a TDI Tig would be nice...)

yerny

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI SEL
Hello everyone,
I just purchased a 2006 Jetta TDI (Option 1) w/ 5-spd manual from the original owner. It has 170k miles and runs like a champ. It had the cam done at 140k miles and other than an air bag light and a sagging headliner - it's perfect.

I'm wrestling with buying VCDS so I can diagnose/resolve issues. I plan to keep the car for years to come, so it's probably a necessity.

I'm in the Air Force and moving to England soon. I'm taking the car with me, so I may also try to pick up some Euro component upgrades while I'm there.

So far fixed a few minor cosmetic issues and purchased a new Pioneer head unit. The stock Premium 7 works great and has a functioning Sirius satellite module, so that's getting sold after I get my new tunes installed. Also bought some fake swede material to re-cover the sagging headliner. Should be good to go by the end of the month and ready to ship to England.

Cheers!
Bryan

JJJTDI

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Brand new to the club.Im looking for a part for my car.

Looking for a 2005 Jetta TDI New body style engine cover.Mine is missing,I think its silver and says TDI,or 1.9 on it,sits in rubber bushings.If anyone has one let me know. Thx JJ

shabir

TDI
polo 1.9 tdi 96kw
Hi. I am a newbie and own a polo 1.9 tdi 96 kw. On acceleration there is a shuddering of the car only when hot. Checked cv joints as well as wheel bearings--- all ok. Can someone assist

mydecember1985

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW 6MT ;2011 JSW (buy-back May 2017)
Just joined the TDI family

Just purchased my 2011 JSW TDI 6M w/ hole in roof a few days ago. Incredibly hard to find one around this area.
Already ordered Opti-Lube XPD as a result of reading this forum. Can't wait to see how it helps down the road.

First VW, first Diesel, first Wagon.
Previous cars:
73 Dodge Challenger Ralley 318 2 barrel -sold after 2 years -money pit
94 Toyo Camry -totalled after 9 months -my fault
95 Mitsu Diamante -sold after transmission failed, owned 4 years
00 Infiniti I30 -totalled after 2 months -not my fault
00 Infiniti I30 -owned for 8 years, 158K, now the wife's car.
11 JSW TDI -Dec '10 build date. Purchased used 35K miles 3/2/15

See you guys/gals around the forums!

Last edited:

Cormac1982

TDI
Passat CC 2010 2.0TDI 140BHP 6sp Manual
Hello - Where to post...

Hi all, living in Ireland - have a 2010 Passat CC 2.0 TDI 140BHP (B6?) 6 speed manual, looking for a bit of help diagnosing a strange series of event causing her not start. What section should I post in please?

jafir

TDI
2015 Jetta S 6MT
Hello!

I just purchased a 2015 Jetta S with a manual transmission on February 27th. I have quite a bit to learn, but I'll try to search first before asking too many newb questions. I live in Arkansas and don't actually do THAT much driving, but there is a possibility that might change soon with some new job responsibilities. I've got another oil burner, a 1987 Land Rover 90, ex-MOD. It's a 2.5L NA that makes at best 68hp, so this TDI is quite an eye opener.

CommonRail

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
New to the TDI Club

Hi! On 2/6/2015, I purchased a used '14 Jetta Sportwagen TDI. The powertrain is equipped with a 6-speed automatic with DSG. It had 23,500 mi on it at the time of purchase with a clean CarFax and a good maintenance record. The car was leased to the previous owner. The condition of the vehicle is near perfect. I love the sound of the turbo spooling :D, and I love driving diesel! This vehicle is a significant upgrade to the '07 Toyota Yaris Hatchback I drove before it (although it had a very respectable 280k miles on it, with no major issues; still ran great).

The car was bought certified pre-owned, with a 100,000 mi extended warranty.

I've been lurking on these forums for the past month. Thanks to these forums, I began using PowerService grey bottle, 1 oz/3 gal at every fill-up, due to the concerns about ULSD shrinking seals and causing HPFP failures. I notice a slight boost in my mileage with the additive (approx. 1 mi/gal). I also love the tips about getting better fuel mileage! My record thus far (on congested SoCal streets and freeways) is 54 mpg!

Last edited:

NorCalGolf

TDI
2002 Golf
Hello from SF Bay Area, just picked up a 2002 TDi Golf with 83k orig. miles for my commute car! I'm driving 120 miles round trip a day and my other rig (Toyota FJ) was killing me on gas. So far the Golf is great needs some minor updates but it's all part of the fun. First time owning a diesel and loving it so far, I can quickly see that the FJ is not going to see all the fun or upgrading money...LOL! :eek:

Last edited:

Tigger Welder

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Hello from North Carolina! Just picked up a 2003 Jetta TDI automatic for my oldest daughter to drive. I've had a few oil burners through the years, this is the first turbo car. The car has 218,000 miles, due for a timing belt change. Got all the parts and a clean intake for it. Looking forward to seeing how it runs after the work. 36 mpg now, hope the timing belt and intake will get me back up to the 40 it should be. Trans is starting to show signs of valve body wear. Going to send it off to Cool air VW in a couple weeks.

Emediation

TDI
'03 Jetta
Hello from Peterborough, ON, CA!

I've had an 03 tdi Jetta for about 3 years now, have always come here for help and troubleshooting! Have so far managed to diagnose: blower motor, serpentine belt, alternator, glow plugs and battery issues! (which I had completed for me because my technical knowledge is fairly limited).

However, now I am having limp mode issues and have been working with some awesome members to resolve the problem. I am looking for a VCDS readout if anyone is in my area, but I have made another post regarding that anyways.

This is more of an intro. Well, hi, I'm Tim and I love my tdi (her name is Gretchen)

fxk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
A new TDI Sportwagen owner (actually, the wife's) a new 2014, sunroof, nav, 6sp DSG.
I've owned two other VW in my past - seemed a century ago. Wait, it was! Mr. Bus, a school-bus yellow (the name of the color on the paint can) Westfalia camper, I had in the 80s. Also had a '80 Rabbit diesel (normally aspirated, 1.6l about 45 hp).
Loved both those guys. I used to joke about the rabbit being the best snow and ice car, because it did not have enough power to spin tires on glare ice.
On the Washington beltway, we gave an area referred to as the Snake Pit - after Connecticut Ave exit, up the hill to Ga Ave. Get a good run on the low flat, kill the a/c just before hitting the hill, and I'd only lose 10mph up the hill. Good times.
An after facelift car (original diesel Rabbits ONLY came in the Monkey dirt brown), I had a beautiful silver, champaign edition, with a dark blue interior.

So, I was reading an Autoweek article on insurance rates - how Porsche was in a +1 tier, etc. So at the time I had the Rabbit and a Hundai Excel - another underpowered wonder. So I looked them up on the insurance thing. Both were insurance tier 2 vehicles, which made them more expensive to insure than a Porsche (not in actual dollars, but compared pound for pound, so to speak)

So I bought a couple used BMW 5 series cars, and insurance went down. And they were a whole lot more fun to drive.

So the last two were a used 99 528IT Wagon w/5 speed in 02, and an 01 740i in 06 for my wife.

The 7 started to cost too much - a rebuilt dash module, ABS module, window regulator, new nav unit (did you know, if the nav goes out, the radio will play for 2 minutes, then shut off?) The old unit succumbed to a leak in the trunk...

So Friday when I couldn't engage reverse, it was time to say goodbye.

My wife found the Moonrock Silver/black JSW TDI, and we went to see it. She had said a couple weeks earlier, no diesel, gasser only. So when I pointed out it was a TDI in the ad, she said she'd compromise.

Coming from the 4L BMW V8 to a diesel, I wasn't sure she'd find the TDI with enough power (remembering the Gen 1 normally aspirated diesel). After test drive, she was grinning.

So we took it to Lancaster the next day, her reading the manual to me as we drove.
As you all now, but as it was a huge surprise to me, the TDI drove extremely well. Now, I'm a stick kind of guy, but an automatic is right for her car. I commented many times navigating the hills of southern PA, this was the best matched automatic to an engine I've ever driven. I found out later the DSG is basically an auto-shift manual utilizing a dual clutch technology.

So far, so good.
At least I stayed with a German car. Very happy to be back with VW. BMW has gone technology bonkers - the whole IDrive nightmare, having to feed exhaust noises in over the stereo (really? Gimme a break!!) The TDI seems to be a good balance of technology, yet remain a driver's car.

So here we are. Moving forward.
frank

robert_c

TDI
2015 Passat
New Passat TDI

I just got a new 2015 Passat TDI SE manual transmission.

Haven't driven a manual in years so I'm getting used to that which has been interesting. It is annoying that you have to turn the key all the way off before it will let you start the engine again if you stall out. All other manuals I drove you can just turn it to start and run the starter again but this one will ignore it if it isn't turned to off first.

I'm trying to learn about how to properly break it in while also getting stick shift figured out. I wanted a manual though and ordered it that way.

I'm happy with the car so far and hope to keep it for at least 10 years.

fxk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
I just got a new 2015 Passat TDI SE manual transmission.
It is annoying that you have to turn the key all the way off before it will let you start the engine again if you stall out. All other manuals I drove you can just turn it to start and run the starter again but this one will ignore it if it isn't turned to off first.
Welcome to the way the Euros do it. It's all part of the interlock to try to keep one from engaging the starter on an already running car.

Farfrommoving

TDI
2010 VW golf sport wagon
Hi! I'm new to the club but I've owned my TDI for five years. I love my car but it has given me a few head ache and an empty pocket book! It's acting up again! This time, after about five minutes or just before shifting into third gear I loose power and my glow plug fault light flashes, as of yesterday the particle filter light is on. Anyone have any thought as to what the problem is?

greebs

TDI
Jetta MY15, 2.0
Hi. Just purchased a MY15 Jetta TDI (2.0, 103kw, DSG6 is the option here in Aus), my first VW after owning a Subaru Outback for 10 years.

SdotEugene

TDI
2013 Jetta
Hello,

I have just stumbled on this forum, have owned my car since September of 2013. She is a Gray 2013 Jetta TDI Sedan w/ DSG. She is the first VW I have owned and also the first Diesel in my stable. She resides in Har Co. MD but travels all over the state, just look for the Orioles plates and it's probably me.

gamnam12

TDI
Jetta
Hello TDI World!!

My name is Aaron. I have a 2011 VW Jetta TDI. I am looking to upgrade the exhaust with DPF delete and an economy tune. If anyone has any recommendations for the best exhaust for the 2.0 TDI and a good economy tune, please message me!

Brewin'

TDI
2006 Jetta
Hi new member here. I just purchased a 2006 Jetta TDI for my wife, she drives for her job, and we were looking for something with better mileage - she currently drives a Tahoe.
Id been looking at TDI's for a while - it seemed like all the ones I found, were people selling instead of doing the 100k service. The '06 I ended up buying had 107k miles and the previous owner had just done the timing belt/waterpump replacement (have receipts), plus the price was right.

There were a couple of issues when I first took it home.
First was a vacuum hose came off, so there was a major loss of power and a check engine light. That was fixed relatively easily (it drives 100% better when the turbo is working), but in the process, the tech didn't re-clamp a coolant hose and then next time I drove it the hose popped off spraying all the coolant out. I wasn't aware of the necessity for G12 coolant, and added some other coolant - I've since drained and flushed the system. Apart from that the car is straight/clean and everything works. I'm planning on purchasing a skid plate next week - the stock plastic one is missing and we live down a dirt road.

This forum has already helped me immensely.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
The '06 I ended up buying had 107k miles and the previous owner had just done the timing belt/waterpump replacement (have receipts), plus the price was right.

There were a couple of issues when I first took it home.
First was a vacuum hose came off, so there was a major loss of power and a check engine light. That was fixed relatively easily (it drives 100% better when the turbo is working), but in the process, the tech didn't re-clamp a coolant hose and then next time I drove it the hose popped off spraying all the coolant out. I wasn't aware of the necessity for G12 coolant, and added some other coolant - I've since drained and flushed the system. Apart from that the car is straight/clean and everything works. I'm planning on purchasing a skid plate next week - the stock plastic one is missing and we live down a dirt road.
Both the vacuum hose problem and the coolant hose clamp problem were caused by the mechanic who replaced the timing belt. Maybe he screwed up in other ways, so perhaps you ought to have a TDI expert check it out.