MK1 Rabbit LX caddy Engine/Trans swap ALH/02J

Mikeb10595

TDI
ALH
How's this project going? I was reading the thread last night and realized you're in San Diego. I'm in Escondido and am looking to do the ALH swap in my 80 caddy.
Awesome color BTW!

Smokey The TDI

TDI
2003 Golf GLS
It's hard to believe I've had this thing for over 2 years now. Ol' Smokey has been at a standstill. I'm still working two jobs and want to stay happily married so I'm left with little to no time but 10 minutes here and there.

From the golf -
I pulled the COMPLETE harness.
Pulled the complete steering column.
Removed the shifter Box W/cables.

MK1 -
Mounted the throttle pedal.
Currently swapping in the mk4 steering column.

I cut the column mounts from both cars and they seem to line up pretty well. Need to fully weld that in next and finalize the connection to the steering rack.

From that Game Plan/list i've only knocked a few things off-

Strip the Golf
Install Pedals
Modify axles

This is taking to long. I might break down and take it to someone to get it done. Anybody have any recommendations?

Smokey The TDI

TDI
2003 Golf GLS
The Mk4 golf steering column has almost the same measurements as the MK1. It's an inch shorter from steering wheel to the first U-joint. The U-joints from the MK4 are larger. The splines connecting the column to the rack on the MK1 are smaller.

So the easy way to install it would be cutting the last U-joint from the MK1 and welding it to the MK4 column.

I would do that but the MK1 U-joint had to much slop.

I carefully removed the two halves. The MK1 has factory ground slit/flat edge making the top thinner. I filled it in with a welder and ground it back to give the bigger bearing caps more surface area. Going to a machine shop this week to get the MK1 half drilled out to receive the MK4 caps.

So the last link will be half MK4 half MK1. It'll drop right in & bolt up after that.

MK1 on the left. MK4 on the right.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
What's the benefit of using the later steering column?

-Todd

Smokey The TDI

TDI
2003 Golf GLS
-Better u joints
-Adjustable
-Deleting the irreplaceable MK1 column bearing
-Using the MK4 controls (blinker, cruise, wipers)
-Safety - The MK4 column will compress in a collision. The MK1 column will stay rigid and pin you to your seat if not worse.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I'm unsure of the adjustable part, but I've never had a universal go bad in any of my A1s.

The bearing is replaceable, but the outer race can get a bit brittle. I've always cleaned them up, regreased, reinstalled and used the washer/hose clamp fix. Never had to get a new bearing.

Not sure about the later stalks, but with very little mod, I'm running CE2 stalks.

The A1 column will collapse. If you look at yours, it's 2 pieces and has a very thin strap, where they slip together.

-Todd

turbodan62

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI, Rabit TDI
Smokey

Smokey where do you live ?? ,will need some help to finish my Rabbit tdi truck Tdan 714-906-0439 (cell) ;)

turbodan62

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI, Rabit TDI
Smokey

Smokey where do you live ?? ,will need some help to finish my Rabbit tdi truck Tdan 714-906-0439 (cell) ;)

Smokey The TDI

TDI
2003 Golf GLS
I got to keep the “**** Truck” in the Divorce

Yup I got to keep my truck in the divorce.... life is a funny thing.

I’m 28... I’ve had 4 years to finish it. If I’m not careful I’ll blink and be an old man with this truck still haunting me from the garage.

I had called multiple shops in SoCal to see who could help me out. I feel pretty lucky to have found a shop that has done caddy swaps before.

After a few phone calls the truck is finally in their hands.

The boys at Dark Kastle love this truck as much as I do! They had found this thread and read up on it hahaha!

They are sorting out the wiring for me. That is where I got stuck.

I plan on using the mk4 cluster, head light switch, and mk4 column with controls.

They have both the mk1 and mk4 harnesses. Currently spinning their magic into it!

I’ll get some pictures for you all soon.

c.Lunn

TDI
2002 VW Beetle TDI
I’m 28... I’ve had 4 years to finish it. If I’m not careful I’ll blink and be an old man with this truck still haunting me from the garage.
I had called multiple shops in SoCal to see who could help me out. I feel pretty lucky to have found a shop that has done caddy swaps before.
The boys at Dark Kastle love this truck as much as I do! They had found this thread and read up on it hahaha!
I plan on using the mk4 cluster, head light switch, and mk4 column with controls.
They have both the mk1 and mk4 harnesses. Currently spinning their magic into it!
...any updates? I am just at the beginning of this process and have been stalking the forums.

DawnofDecent

TDI
Mk4 ALH, Mk1 Pickup ALH, B6 AWDTDI
Awesome!

Same I have also been stalking the thread! In the process of swapping a Mk4 cluster, ALH, and harness into my pickup! The focus is to keep cruise and the cluster.