$1800 Tune-Up.. Did I get ripped or Normal. First Major tune-up 70k miles.

Arthurvino

TDI
arthurvino
Did my 1st major tune-up on my 2000 90Hp Golf TDi stick..
I paid $1765.31 for it.. Did I get screwed or this is normal? I asked to do pretty much everything that was required.. My main questions are: Labor - are hours correct or could this be done much faster and prices for parts normal?
Thanks for input...
Here is the list..
VW Red Coolent - $15.20
Brake Fluid, Dot 4 – 2 - $10.00
K&N Cleaning kit – $13.82
Lubro Moly Diesel Purge Injection Cleaner – $12.20
VW TDi Oil Filter - $.8.05
VW Diesel/TDi Fuel Filter - $44.98
Cabin Air Filter – 33.78
Timing Belt Tensioner - $79.95
Time Belt Roller - $94.50
Tdi Timing Belt – 76.05
TDi Poli Belt – 28.97
1.9 TDi Glow Plug - $47.89
Misc Shop supplies/Hardware - $5.00

LABOR
Replace Timing Belt and Poly Belt, Set dymanic Injection Timing – 8 hours @65/hour = 520.00
Remove EGR Valve And intake Manifold for cleaning out of Heavy Carbon and Soot - 5 hours - $325.00
Perform Diagnostic Testing for check engine light, set all glow plugs, reset codes – 1 hour - $65.00
Replace Fuel Filter and #3 Glow plug .75 hours - $48.75
Clean out very dirty K&N ait filter, replace cabin air filter – 1 hour - $65.00
Flush cooling System and replace brake fluid – 2 hours - $130.00
Oil Change service - .5 hours - $32.50
Disposal of Hazardous Materials – 5 qty @ 1.75 - $8.75
Sales Tax 6% - 99.92

Total $1765.31

Input appreciated..

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Parts prices are all about normal and all required at this time except for the unnecessary coolant flush, but did you ever get ripped on labour.

As far as I've heard, the VW flat-rate labour manual for timing belt replacement is something like 4.6 hours, and it is do-able in that time IF you have the right tools. Certainly it should not be 8 hours. Between 4 and 5 hours is fair for timing belt replacement.

Intake manifold cleaning 5 hours ... yeah, that's about how long it takes. Now please read the TDIFAQ and find out how to prevent it from happening again (or how it could have been prevented from happening in the first place).

The diagnostic test takes only a few minutes, but do recognize that there is a considerable investment in equipment and training behind that. 1 hour is fair for a diagnostic.

Changing the fuel filter takes 5 minutes. Changing a glow plug takes 5 minutes (same as changing a spark plug on a gasoline engine).

Clean air filter, replace cabin air filter, 1 hour is fair, but next time, do it yourself!

Flushing cooling system and brake fluid ... Last thing I heard, there was a free brake fluid replacement at 2 years regardless of mileage (because your vehicle had 2 year scheduled maintenance included). And flushing the cooling system was unnecessary because G12 is lifetime fill (more like life-of-water-pump fill, but they didn't change the water pump). You should not have had to pay for this (nor for the coolant).

The rest is minor.