New 2015 Euro-Passat (B8) heralds arrival of new 2.0L twin-turbo TDI & 10-speed DSG

JimNap

TDI
2014 VW Passat TDI SE
New 2015 Euro-Passat (B8) heralds arrival of new 2.0L twin-turbo TDI & 10-speed DSG

Without a doubt, I'm sure the new twin-turbo 2.0L TDI and most likely the new 10speed DSG will arrive with our new 2016 (NMS mk2?) Passat:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...four#src=10065

See link in this story to spy shots of new 2015 Euro-(B8) Passat from last month.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Great, two turbo units to repair/replace after early deaths...:rolleyes:

mihneagabriel

TDI
2009 Jetta
10 speed transmission? Our cars are turning into bikes

Also I have a feeling we won't be getting the twin turbo tdi. That will probably stay in Europe

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
I remember when 3 gears were enough. 10? Seems like overkill to me. Dont know why you would need 2 turbos on a TDI either, unless one is a backup.

AtlantaRene

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE DSG w/Sunroof and Nav
I often thought the Passat DSG needed another an extra gear or two. I'd like to see lower RPM at 70 mph. I am surprised 10 is needed but they are competing against CVTs.

I suspect the second turbo is to help in the horsepower race. When comparing cars, the typical American probably thinks 140 HP is not enough.

c-wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
North American Passat 2012 TDI SEL (bought back march 2018)
I often thought the Passat DSG needed another an extra gear or two. I'd like to see lower RPM at 70 mph. I am surprised 10 is needed but they are competing against CVTs...

+1. I still want to see Manual Transmission MPGs reading with a DSG.

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
The near 100HP increase is a pretty good reason to me :D.
And what will that do to your fuel economy? (I dont know just asking). Frankly I'm happy with the mpg numbers already. I'm not at all swayed by an increase in HP and I'm certainly not thrilled about two turbos when they haven't figured out how to fix the problems with the one they have. I hope they have done their homework is all I can say.

It's all about the MPG's.
We'll have to wait and see what those will be I guess.

N4TECguy

Veteran Member
TDI
NMS Passat TDI 6MT
Should be the same or better.
You're getting more power (efficiency) out of the same displacement.
Getting more power out of the same displacement may increase your volumetric efficiency, but that DOES NOT mean it will not use more fuel. Internal combustion engines are limited on how much energy they can pull out from fuel, if you're producing more power you can pretty much assume it's going to use more fuel. That's been offset in recent years by improvements in aerodynamics, better lubrication, low-friction surfaces/parts/tires, etc. But make no mistake, you are not going to get better fuel economy while using 240HP vs 140HP, it is physically impossible with the engines we have today.

Bug Smasher

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
A 10-speed gearbox is an overkill in my opinion. It's not a semi with a trailer that we have here. Shift, shift, shift, shift, shift, shift, shift, shift, shift...

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
they are just keeping the RPM within a 500RPM sweet spot, then building the engine around that range. Most likely due to MPG and emission reasons, same reason why you cannot find a stick shift diesel pickup anymore

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
^^^^

This sounds like the most reasonable explanation I've seen for a 10-speed DSG....

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Getting more power out of the same displacement may increase your volumetric efficiency, but that DOES NOT mean it will not use more fuel. Internal combustion engines are limited on how much energy they can pull out from fuel, if you're producing more power you can pretty much assume it's going to use more fuel. That's been offset in recent years by improvements in aerodynamics, better lubrication, low-friction surfaces/parts/tires, etc. But make no mistake, you are not going to get better fuel economy while using 240HP vs 140HP, it is physically impossible with the engines we have today.
You don't have to use all 240HP.

And as you said about improvements, probably also the reason for the 10spd DSG.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
There is one, and only one reason for increased gears in modern transmissions, increased MPG's.

sdgt3

TDI
2014 Passat
I had read that 8 gears was a sweet spot for gas engines. Don't know about diesels, but yes, I wish my 2014 Passat with DSG had lower revs when cruising at 70-80 mph

charley654

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW S DSG
I will take the 2 turbo 10 speed trans Passat in a heart beat, if it comes to the USA.
Give me a 6 year warranty on the whole package and I will be a happy camper. :)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I will take the 2 turbo 10 speed trans Passat in a heart beat, if it comes to the USA.
Give me a 6 year warranty on the whole package and I will be a happy camper. :)
Sounds like a good deal to me! Let's do it, VW. :)

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
I had read that 8 gears was a sweet spot for gas engines. Don't know about diesels, but yes, I wish my 2014 Passat with DSG had lower revs when cruising at 70-80 mph
6, 8, 10 or 12 gears, the objective with the additional gears is to keep the engine in the "sweet spot" through ALL of the gears, thus keeping the motor OUT of the revs that use more fuel. It's not just about the number of gears, its about their ratio. With the advent of "more" gears, you will notice that they will be more closely spaced.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
im pretty darn happy with my current dsg, so happy I bought a Honda ATV with the dual clutch transmission and it also shifts just like the VW

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
I often thought the Passat DSG needed another an extra gear or two. I'd like to see lower RPM at 70 mph. I am surprised 10 is needed but they are competing against CVTs.
This is more or less what I thought when I read the headline. Why add more gears in an effort to simulate a CVT rather than just biting the bullet and developing a CVT?

As an aside I've never driven a CVT but I understand that artificial "gears" are built into their software to fool the unwary. Don't understand that either but as a former engineer I have been accused of thinking too practically...