Diesel Fuel Industry at Critical Point to Advance Diesels Now!

S

SkyPup

The diesel fuel industry is at a critical juncture right now as it changes over to the production of ULSD fuels with improved cetane levels for the United States and Canada.

While virtually everyone agrees that diesel is by far the most fuel-efficient technology in the world today - and it's the only cost-effective, practical technology for doing much of the world's heavy mechanical work - its environmental performance needs dramatic improvement. This can only be accomplished using new ULSD fuel technology combined with diesel engine combustion engineering.

That's true even though today's advanced diesel engines are far cleaner than the smoke-belching diesels of decades ago. The problem: Even smokeless diesels aren't clean enough for pending air pollution regulations without improved diesel fuel technologies.

What's more, while diesels are the only cost-effective technology today for making a significant impact on reducing "global warming" emissions from motor vehicles, that's not good enough for regulators and legislators. Rather, diesels will have to meet regulatory/legislative standards that are close to "zero" tailpipe emissions, especially on smog-forming nitrogen oxides (NOx), particulate matter (PM) and "toxics" - the organic compounds in diesel exhaust.

Diesel engines won't achieve such ultra-clean standards with "dirty" diesel fuels containing high amounts of sulfur, high concentrations of aromatic compounds and low cetane. That's because sulfur compounds not only poison advanced exhaust treatment catalysts, but also seem to act as a critical "condensation carrier" of the volatile, ultra-fine organic PM that can escape even the most efficient PM "soot" filter. In addition, a minimum of 50 cetane and 10% aromatic content is required to decrease emissions by up to one-half while at the same time improving performance and fuel economy.

Scientists are just now beginning to describe these complex, ultra-fine PM phenomena that arise from diesel, gasoline and other combustion sources. Meantime, health researchers have launched many new studies to try to understand what fine PM exposure can mean for humans, with preliminary findings pointing to possible health effects including elevated cancer risk, degradation of lung function, possible immunologic reactions, and possible asthmatic impacts.

As far as government regulators are concerned, the prudent strategy is: Take diesel exhaust out of the health-concern equation, by employing cleaner exhaust treatment systems and cleaner ULSD fuels.

The good news is: Diesels can indeed become ultra-clean, even as clean as some of the proposed alternatives such as natural gas, gasoline, and even electric, once the emissions from electric power plants are figured into that equation. To meet this challenge, an avalanche of research on clean-diesel technology is underway, sponsored by government agencies, major engine companies, automakers, catalyst developers and, for fuels, oil companies, refiners, and their technology suppliers.

The search for ultra-clean diesel is far from over, as new discoveries and breakthroughs appear constantly. In the past several months, new breakthroughs appeared on the horizon for combined PM/NOx traps, non-thermal plasma/catalyst exhaust treatment systems, new refinery desulfurization technologies, and lower-cost ways of producing ultra-clean, Fischer-Tropsch gas-to-liquids (GTL) diesel fuels with virtually no sulfur and 70+ cetane levels.

Large, "Fortune 500" companies - as well as small, emerging-technology companies - are pouring hundreds of millions of dollars into research & development worldwide on these clean-diesel technologies.

Ultimately, tens of billions of dollars - possibly well over $100 billion - will be spent producing the ultra-clean diesel vehicles, engines, ULSD refineries and GTL diesel plants in the coming decades.

It's an enormous task, and in the aggregate, it's an enormous risk, too. That's because other technologies-such as fuel cells-are also appearing on the horizon. These technologies might require a dramatically different sort of vehicle/engine industry, and quite different fuels.

But until practical alternatives appear, there's really no economic alternative to diesels for a multitude of applications. That's true for big ocean vessels, tugs, commercial/recreational vessels, railroads, trucking, bus transport, construction, mining, agriculture, logging, distributed power generation, and, in many parts of the world, personal vehicle transportation. Lighter cuts of diesel fuel, such as jet/kerosene, also power the world's jet aircraft, along with a variety of industrial turbines and space heating systems. In short, middle distillate fuels do the world's heavy lifting.

Diesel cars are increasingly popular in much of the world, because of much greater fuel efficiency (compared to gasoline) and recent technology leaps that provide consumers with performance previously obtainable only with gasoline engines. The use of ULSD is mandatory in these vehicles to achieve required levels of emissions, performance, and economy.

Eventually, ultra-clean diesel vehicles could migrate to areas of the developing world where diesel vehicles suffer a (deservedly) terrible reputation for excessive smoke and smell. These new cleaner-diesels could become a solid growth opportunity for the world's engine makers, automakers and refiners, as diesels can offer the sort of fuel efficiency demanded by especially cost-conscious consumers in emerging markets.

Clean-diesels also could provide a hedge to governments worried about global-warming, as they offer an efficiency unmatched by other power sources. What's more, diesels could help reduce many countries' vulnerability to potentially shaky oil imports from politically volatile areas of the world. Policies promoting the growth of a clean-diesel vehicle fleet, rather than a conventional gasoline fleet, would mean about a 30% improvement in fleet vehicle fuel efficiency - a huge gain not obtainable by even the most advanced gasoline direct-injection technology.

Change is in the air, both literally and figuratively. For diesel technology and fuels, the changes will be the greatest since Rudolph Diesel invented the compression-ignition engine more than 100 years ago.
"Clean" and "diesel" are about to be spoken in the same breath. That's a change everyone's demanding, and ought to celebrate.

S

SkyPup

As we all know, Volkswagen and Audi recommend the use of a minimum 49 cetane #2 diesel fuel for all 1.9L VW TDI engines, even though this fuel is next to totally unavailable across all of North America, it is available anywhere and everywhere throughout Europe.

Many people here are extremely distraut and disturbed when they hear the work cetane and break down into many fits and seizures when the word comes up, most simply because throughout the USA, there are NO high speed low displacement direct injection turbodiesel engines in any passenger cars except for the Volkswagen TDI.

Every single design of diesel engine varies widely in cetane requirements (based on the design of the combustion chamber and injection equipment for each specific engine), and there is no commonly recognized way to measure this value.

In general cetane requirement follow these simple guidelines:

1. The lower an engines operating speed, the LOWER the CN of the fuel it can use.

2. The large displacement an engines combustion chamber and pistons are, the LOWER the CN of fuel it can use.

3. The higher the rpm capacity of the engine, the HIGHER the CN of fuel it needs to run efficently.

4. The smaller the combustion chamber of the engine and its piston size, the HIGHER the CN of fuel it needs to operate efficently.

Large marine engines can tolerate fuels with CNs as low as 20, many large railroad engine use 30 cetane value fuels, garbage trucks and big rigs run fine on 40 cetane fuel, while manufacturers of high-speed turbodiesel European passenger car diesel engines specify up to a minimum 55 CN fuels.

If you own a ship, a railroad, or a garbage truck, America is the place to be. If you own a high speed passenger car turbodiesel, it is not quite the place to be.

RC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Two White 96 B4 Wagons
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SkyPup:

What's more, diesels could help reduce many countries' vulnerability to potentially shaky oil imports from politically volatile areas of the world.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any country that can grow a sizable crop of an oily plant could supply themselves with their own biodiesel.

SoTxBill

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 passatdsg 10 jetdsg, 09 jetdsg, 2006 jetdsg, 2001Jet, 96passat, 86jet, 81 jet, 78pickup all vw diesel.
good post guys,,, very factual...enlighting and educational right down to:

If you own a ship, a railroad, or a garbage truck, America is the place to be. If you own a high speed passenger car turbodiesel, it is not quite the place to be.
end quote

i happen to think we are in the best place to be... open roads, cheap fuel, same mpg as the european cars,
yes due to emmissions we dont get the 110 hp models, but the chip takes care of that..
i dont want to be like europe and pay $4.50 a gallon for fuel..
yes we dont get the particle filters but we dont have 40% of the cars running diesel... Actually we dont have 1% of the cars running diesel.. so we dont have the same diesel pollution problem they have.. black building from all the soot, all the statues have turn black...

but the ulsd will help america like europe.. maybe our statues wont turn black... like all the famous civil war generals at the court house.. cant have general boureguard turning black now..(sick humour)might upset those rednecks...

i am concerned about the possible increase in diesel use vrs the supply chain... as it is obvious that diesel is a good thing, the increase in use could cause a shortage..and stress the jet fuel supply..

i guess i dont know enought about the refinery capacities.. but if diesel were to double vrs the price of gas, i would have to reconsider.

[ June 21, 2001: Message edited by: TexasBill ]

Metro

Veteran Member
SkyPup, since you are “the Man” it seems when it comes to fuel.. post.. after post..

I am wondering what you think about the qualities of biodiesel. I fully intend on making my own, and have convinced my wife she could benefit from the glycerin soap
I know the particulate is wonderful with biodiesel, it is completely renewable, and smells great, but what about the centane rating.

And, since you are intent the fuel is sub-grade (which I do believe), do you think that a blend of biodiesel is a viable solution to remedy this?

S

SkyPup

Biodiesel is without any doubt top quality, even as a 20/80 blend with petroldiesel since it is primarily long chain alkane paraffinic type homogeneous composition. Some commerical producers are in the midwest primarily and they have first class products. There is alot of interest in this here too, see the Emissions forum for more info.

As far as T-Bill's fears, you forgot about all the trucks, trains, ships, bulldozers,generators, etc. that all use diesel fuel when you are thinking their is such a small emissions output from passenger car diesels in the USA.

You also are grossly misinformed about everything else.

50 cetane ULSD fuel costs $0.01 per gallon more to produce and decreases emissions in all diesel engines up to 50% immediately.

There simply is no future for diesel engine power without it.

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige
Texas Bill, you wrote: "we dont have the same diesel pollution problem they have.. black building from all the soot, all the statues have turn black..."
How do you know that these black statues and buildings come from diesel soot? Many of these structures have been around for hundreds of years, and got blackened from unregulated 18th, 19th, and early 20th century use of coal.
I think increased use of diesel fuel would be a relatively minor problem, since American refiners crack a higher proportion of crude oil into gasoline than any other refiners in the world. In other words, I think the ratio of middle to light distillates can be adjusted to some degree. Even a 10-fold increase in availability of diesel-fuelled passenger cars would be an almost invisible blip in the balance of diesel versus gasoline supplies. By 1984, almost 6% of new cars sold in the U.S.A. ran on diesel fuel. Today far less than 1% of all new cars sold in the U.S.A. run on diesel fuel. Somehow, refiners were able to adjust supplies without much griping publicly.
Metro, I am sure RC, the God of Biosdiesel will chime in sooner or later, but biodiesel generally has much higher cetane than U.S.-spec. diesel fuel, usually around 50 to 63 cetane instead of 40-43 cetane. Biodiesel lubricity is also far superior to dino-diesel, and biodiesel sulphur levels are generally negligible. Yes, biodiesel can be mixed with dino-diesel, and it will improve the quality of the brew. One downside of biodiesel is a higher gel-point than dino-diesel, so in cold weather, it is imperative to blend biodiesel with something else.

S

SkyPup

Here is the new tower at the Phillips ULSD refining plant that totally wipes out every single solitary opinion T-Bill has ever dreamed up endlessly in his head

The unit shows that S Zorb SRT can reduce sulfur levels in diesel fuel to 5 parts per million (ppm) for some feedstocks, which more than exceeds the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) new standard of 15 ppm that will be phased in beginning in 2004. S Zorb SRT can help refiners meet these requirements with an corresponding increase in cetane, very low volume loss and low consumption of hydrogen while operating at cycle lengths consistent with fluid catalytic cracking (FCC) units. The Borger start-up has demonstrated that S Zorb SRT can remove 99 percent or more of the sulfur from diesel streams while at the same time raising the cetane level of the middle distiallate output to 50.

"The S Zorb SRT unit already is proving its effectiveness by processing an FCC unit feed and reducing it to 5 ppm sulfur content," said Thurman Nance, general manager of the Borger refinery. "It went from process concept to start-up in only 18 months and reached design capacity within 72 hours of feed introduction and cost of operation is only an addition $0.01 per gallon of ULSD fuel produced."

Laboratory test runs on ULSD show that very low sulfur levels are achievable at significantly lower pressures of 275-500 psig compared to conventional hydrotreating process pressures, which range from 500 to 2,000 psig.
The S Zorb SRT process can be configured to run with no net chemical hydrogen consumption, potentially saving refiners over $5 million a year in operating costs.

The technology is expected to help minimize capital costs and everyday operating expenses while achieving outstanding targeted product quality.

LOL
Gee Tyranasaurus Billy Boy, sounds like a real super duper winner for only $0.01 per gallon

You and your crew, though, sound like a pack of super duper whiners!

Metro

Veteran Member
One of those "Cracker" units at phillips just blew up a little over a year ago.

Heck what are a few lives if I can get 50 centane

Got plenty of million-aires (aka rednecks) around here who got that way just standing next to the cracker!!

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
Yo, Metro: Skypup did NOT show us a picture of a "cracker." In point of fact, "crackers" are used to make heavier fuels into lighter ones, and are especially important for making gasoline, but of very little importance in making diesel fuel.

And I can only shake my head in wonder at the statement about lost lives, even if you did mean it sarcasticly.

S

SkyPup

The cracker-coker residue tar-crud left over from gasoline is recycled into US diesel fuels and is where all the crummy aromatic compounds come from and is responsible for the low cetane and low quality of American rot-gut garbage truck diesel fuel, not to mention alot of bad emissions and residues.

Metro

Veteran Member
Your right, it is not funny. But you have to realize the petrol-people dont think ethically..

Just like firestone/Ford with the latest tire scandal.. they were doing "good" until the public found out. Plenty of the plants have to moved to the mexican border where they can dump, pollute, and use cheap labor. Life looks different when you work under OSHA.

case in point.. I'll be making my own diesel. I figure no matter how good the diesel you buy there is a trade off somewhere. Biodiesel just seems the logical choice for me.

S

SkyPup

In the next thrity days, there will be two major diesel fuel technology announcements that will change the future of diesel powered engines in North America, one from the National Academy of Sciences and one from the EPA Diesel Fuel Chemisty Division.

All my insider sources have told me that the results are remarkable in that they will bring total changes, all improvements!