PD lift pump motor only replacement

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
I have found the full pump replacement thread but I can't find a write up on just replacing the motor only on the PD lift pump.
Does anyone have the link?
Thanks

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
It is no doubt cheaper than replacing the whole unit. However, it is a messy job. So, once you remove the old unit, it is just a dig in and methodically disassemble and re-assemble process. I've done it once and without specific instruction. You should go through the process fairly easy!

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
Hey Andy,
I got as far as having the top of the pump separated from the base with the supply hose loose from the top but it still won't come completely apart so I can access the motor.
It will pull up a bit but it still feels attached to something in the canister.
What else is holding the innards in?
It is no doubt cheaper than replacing the whole unit. However, it is a messy job. So, once you remove the old unit, it is just a dig in and methodically disassemble and re-assemble process. I've done it once and without specific instruction. You should go through the process fairly easy!

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
I was trying to avoid cutting the hose to get the pump to separate but it must be done and then everything just slides apart.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
For what it is worth, when going back, I struggled to push the new hose (pipe) onto the nipples. So, considering they fit so darn tight, I never used the crimp clamp!

Yeah, you really need a third hand to disassemble one of these things ....

A little laughter on me! When reassembling, I cannot remember the details, but there in the top, I put something in wrong which blocked the pump from pushing out fuel. Seems it was a check-valve or something. Anyway, all back together and no pump action ....... dang, I had to take back out again ........ and, guess what, I messed it up a second time! But, I finally got it right and the car has been running great for over a year!

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
I also had a hard time with the new hose, but because I could not get it to seat
over the last barb on the nipple, I did use a clamp; I don't want to go back in again once more let alone twice:D