smoke on the freeway?

Nurumkin

TDI
04 jetta
Ok I am new to owning a TDI so this may be a stupid question. Is it normal for there to be a puff of white smoke when im on the freeway doing 65+ and I accelerate hard? It does not seem to do it at any time untill I'm on the freeway and I only have noticed it after dark because I can see the cloud in the lights behind me.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
White or grey? At night (dawn, dusk, or anytime lights are from behind) any smoke is more noticed.
White smoke is either unburned fuel that has been injected, atomized, but not burned (unlikely), or it's water (headgasket leak, atmospheric moisture) also unlikely to only appear on the highway.
Light grey particulate, especially under the circumstances you describe, is common and almost normal. What I suspect you are seeing is the coating of exhaust soot on the exhaust system walls being blown off by the increase in exhaust gas flow and volume, as well as a richer fuel to air mix adding a bit more fresh soot.
It comes down to your tolerance for following "the golden rule": Is there enough of a cloud being left behind that you, if you were the following driver, would be annoyed?

Nurumkin

TDI
04 jetta
re

I don't think there is enough to really be annoyed more like a "*** was that?" kind of a cloud. Is there an easy way to clean that out? and is it worth doing or is it just going to build up again in 10 miles?