Replacing Fender Subwoofer II

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Box is built. Waiting for sub to be delivered. It is a 13.5" JL Audio shallow mount woofer. 13TW5v2. Amp is a MTX Thunder 1000.1. Using a LC2I power LOC.

Box so far...Sat in place.

Just the bottom trimming to fit.

Lift Handle

Spot for amp an LC2I

Perfect fit under floor base.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Should be a bit of an upgrade over the 6" fender sub in an injection molded case.

I did shove 8 oz of animal stuffing into the fender sub, was worth the $4 purchase.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I had thought about just adding a larger sub on the fender amp but decided if I was gona do it I was gona swing for the fences.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Finally got everything installed and tuned. Wow what a difference.

In the past I always tuned by sound and this time I tuned the way your supposed to do it with a DMM.

13TW5V2-2 in the box. I installed bumpers around the sub so the sub wouldnt make contact with the spare tire. They really werent needed but just a safety net.

Last edited:

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
Nice work!!! So the sub fires downwards? How much added weight do you think it added?

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
Did you use the wiring harness going to the factory fender as your signal for your new amp? Doing a fiberglass enclosure along the floor and wondering what you did with stock wiring. Assuming it would throw a code (that could be fixed with VCDS) if not plugged in.

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
You wouldnt happen to remember which color wire on the fender harness is (+), (-), and signal would you?

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
Whites are +. Browns are -. Yellow stripes are a pair.

Thanks!! That will make the install go that much smoother. How do you like your JBL? I have heard a lot of subs over the years but JBL is always a nice clean bass. Have always been impressed by their slim line.

Last edited:

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
It hits hard. I forgot to put the poly fill in the box so ill be pulling the box this weekend to do that. I havent quite got my systems tuned to my liking yet. I get it perfect for cds and then i dont like it on XM. get it tuned for half volume and then i dont like it at 3/4. Have my LC2I barely turned up say 1/4 throttle and amp set at half throttle. Bass on HU at -7 and sub at -2. Wish these HUs had more adjustment to them. Will just take longer to get it tuned i spose. In the past i almost always ran my amps at 3/4 throttle with no Bass out of head unit and it would be perfect over all volumes and inputs. I think the LC2I maybe where i need to be looking.

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
Yeah my buddy had a very similar problem when he used an LC2I in his SI. Took us almost a month to get it tuned right and then we just added a knob anyways haha Within the last 3 months we have done 4 sub builds that have retained stock headunit. Without the LC2I it is quicker to tune but you lose all the functionality. Since I talked my buddy out of a competition setup we are just using a LOP and I plan on setting up the amp so that I can leave my HU at 0. I am actually impressed with the stock fender mid bass. If anything I can use a knob also. I have noticed the volume difference between FM, XM, and Bluetooth.

Last edited:

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
Yes. Sadly I think my amp uses an RCA style port instead of the phone jack style. You can buy "fancy" knobs that have Voltage displated on them as well. Might go that route at some point so I can mount the knob somewhere.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
I have one for my amp i just didnt wana have to use it every time i change the radio station or input. I guess ill install that this weekend too and just bite the bullet. Also i never cared about voltage before and never killed a sub or amp so i quit caring this time aswell. Ill play it where it sounds good. The recommended 34 VAC or 60VAC no cares. My MTX uses the RCA too but that doesnt seem to be of issue. The HU is the issue.

Last edited:

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
Hoping I don't have a similar issue. Im just used to watching voltage due to owning a MK4 lol with a true 500w system my voltage would go from 14.3 to 13.7 if I was really using the sub. Hopefully PolarFIS is released for the golfs soon so I can just use that to monitor voltage. Not worried about with the new car just nice to check. I really prefer adjusting with the HU. Same as you I just don't want to mess with the knob all the time.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
As for the Golf i havent seen the headlights dim in the least bit even when pushing the sub. So thats a plus.

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
Insane for a sub that slim, I bet it does hit hard. Did you remove the fender amplifier or is that tied into the stock mids/tweeters as well.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Anyone have any issues with sub that fires down into spare wheel? It hits hard like 4 12" subs but only sounds like 1 8" sub. Wondering if it fired up if that would help the sound or if it should be a side fire like the MK6. Thoughts?

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Depending on how tightly the enclosure is sealing against the perimeter of the spare well, you might need to port it or flip it over. The way you have it set up along with the design of the golf's trunk is likely creating a bandpass so you'll have to consider that in your enclosure design (I know you already installed your enclosure, however).

Another consideration is whether you wired it out of phase, but the schematic you posted should have prevented that. It's worth checking since the speaker can be banging all around ("hitting") without creating the bass waves you're craving if it's out of phase.

Did you measure the interior cubic feet of the enclosure during design? I'm mainly curious whether you filled the hole with a speaker box or whether you built a speaker box and then made it fit into the hole, if you get my meaning.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Go into setup... Sound.... Bluetooth.... Its factory set to Quiet. Set that to Loud. Just like that the system comes to life. Easily twice the sound. Sub now hits hard and sounds AMAZING. Crystal clear sound. The system now sounds tied together instead of music with imported bass. No other changes made. Except i did have to tune the sub down alil. Made it hard to breath with system on at stop lights.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Go into setup... Sound.... Bluetooth.... Its factory set to Quiet. Set that to Loud. Just like that the system comes to life. Easily twice the sound. Sub now hits hard and sounds AMAZING. Crystal clear sound. The system now sounds tied together instead of music with imported bass. No other changes made. Except i did have to tune the sub down alil. Made it hard to breath with system on at stop lights.
What are you using as the source for your music that requires changing a Bluetooth setting?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Roger that. I've got an iPod plugged into the media port, so no Bluetooth is required.

Using my phone and Pandora. Its not a required change it just super amlifies the sound. Much like the loud button on an aftetmarket stereo.