Sorry N.A but I just had to post this

SilverPASV

Took a GTI PD - 150 bhp Golf TDi for a spin this morning - still got one hell of a grin on my face !!!!!!! LOL veryily..........

Ab. Fab. is an understatement, suggest all you dieselheads in N.A book hols in europe and test-drive one ..... ooops better not - think how depressed you#d be when you hand the keys back...

Incase you're not sure what exactly this golf is have a look at vw uk The plain figures don't tell the whole story.

By the way, I don't think I should buy one - think my driver's liecense would last about a day if I did - you just want to see how quick it is all the time.

Like I said - SOOOORY N.A

Still got a
on my face....

PackRat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3 Jetta TDI
Originally posted by SilverPASV:
Took a GTI PD - 150 bhp Golf TDi for a spin this morning - still got one hell of a grin on my face !!!!!!! LOL veryily..........

Ab. Fab. is an understatement, suggest all you dieselheads in N.A book hols in europe and test-drive one ..... ooops better not - think how depressed you#d be when you hand the keys back...

Incase you're not sure what exactly this golf is have a look at vw uk The plain figures don't tell the whole story.

By the way, I don't think I should buy one - think my driver's liecense would last about a day if I did - you just want to see how quick it is all the time.

Like I said - SOOOORY N.A

Still got a
on my face....
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Go away!

S

SkyPup

Yeah, North America's rotgut sewaqe diesel fuel prevents us from enjoying the best that you all have, instead we are stuck with the bottom of the barrel 90hp wheeny

It is simply amazing what the VNT-17 turbo will do on the Pump-Duse with a bigger intercooler, new injectors, new pistons, and 50 cetane minimum diesel fuel.

BRING ON ULSD HERE NOW!!!

Yup, 150bhp, the same as VW's petrol-fired 1.8 litre 20v turbo. Now consider that the 1.9 litre diesel produces that power as merely the happy by-product of the torque it develops, which is immense. It's got more torque than a Porsche Boxter S, a V6 Clio or an Impreza Turbo, a hefty 235lb ft to be precise, which it delivers at just 1900rpm. And it weighs less than any of them.

As we have often said, in general driving it's torque that makes the wheels go around and with so much on offer from so few revs, this Golf really flies.

Traction control is standard, and rather busy in the wet. Don't be fooled by VW's claimed 0-62mph of 8.6sec (say 0-60 in 8.4), which makes it appear slower than the 1.8T and V5 (in our hands they've managed 0-60s of 7.8 and 7.6 sec respectively), because we're certain that they'd both get flamed by the new diesel on any give-and-take road.

The hike from the previous model's 130bhp to 150bhp, and from 228 to 235lb ft is down to three main factors - a bigger boost from the variable-vane turbo, a more efficient intercooler and a better design of injector nozzle which results in a more efficient mixture burn. So despite the unit's increased output, the official economy figures are little different to the less potent TDI's. To cope with the increased loads there are stronger con-rods and the pistons have been redesigned too.

The other reason that the newest diesel Golf has little to fear from the hot petrol versions is that, as mentioned, it has full GTI specification - slightly wider rims with wider and lower tyres (205/55 versus 195/65) and lower, stiffer suspension. Compared with the impressive 115bhp version we ran a while back, the 150 tacks into corners with more precision, maintains its secure balance even if the corner is bumpy and generally feels sharper and more poised. Even deep compressions that would have the 115's nose springing on rebound don't faze it, yet the ride is still very supple.

A six-speed 'box is standard but the 150 TCI doesn't really need it. It's engine has such a spread of performance it could make do with three - there is such substantial urge from little more than tickover to right up against the governor at 5000rpm. This is no narrow power band turbo engine.

In ultra-long-striding sixth, every 1000rpm is worth about 33mph, so an 80mph cruise is achieved at a loping 2500rpm. Economy is predictably excellent. You'd get less than 25mpg from a hard-driven V5 or 1.8T but even using all the 150's grunt all the time you'll see over 40mpg. With a light foot, mid-to-high fifties are entirely feasible.

SilverPASV

wot Skypub said, but most of all - It's just to much bloody fun to drive
I need a bigger big grin !

Going around roundabouts it was very composed and booting it on the exit just left it an instant, distant object in the rear view mirror....

oh! and the turbo makes one very nice sound, you just want to keep it spinning...

now for the depressing bit.

2006 USA gets ULSD, UK and Europe are already pushing for NO sulphur diesel and will probably implement it before 2006. What do thing VW will do with the major diesel market having zero sulhur available - they'll use it and develop a next gen engine. 2006 NA gets 150/178 bhp TDi's, Europe has ??? TDi's by then

Also, with ULSD and PD Tdi's in the USA more and more people will turn to diesel. So you could find that supply is outstriped by demand.

schnabba

Veteran Member
TDI
golf GLS 2001 white
Oh yeah?!?! That's nothing! MY Golf TDI has a CD changer!

So - did anyone ever get a group buy for these yet? Heinz! Where are you on this one, man?