Race pipe with anti shutter

madcowintucson

Veteran Member
TDI
golf
I think this is a great idea. I took a tasks and ground out the iside of mine and removed the shaft inside the egr. kept the anti shudder part as the engine is very rough on shutdown. Can you make the boost port 1/8 npt that would make fittings a lot easier and also while you are in there I would add another port for a water meth nozzle��

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
1/16" is kind of a bastard size

like whitworth
or m7, m9 and all those other stupid fasteners on these cars

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
1/16" is kind of a bastard size
like whitworth
or m7, m9 and all those other stupid fasteners on these cars
Maybe if you're shopping at your local hardware store.

Miatamike203, pay no attention.
The flange is a good place to put the port and the smaller thread helps it fit there.
A 10-32 size nipple works fine, too. That's what this baby got:

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
There are many options to be had and as for the fitting i could honestly make it any size or style you want to an external. Also every part of this that is serviceable can be bought and found on http://www.mcmaster.com im going to even supply the buyer with a complete detailed list for each part and part number for them. I can also add any bung onto the race pipe also at an extra fee.

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
So heres another quick quick update spent a little bit of time tonight got the pipe its self done for the most part. I also have been talking with a few company who we use for making castings and they might be able to help me get the cost down even lower. We will see where that leads though, i for one like the look of machined parts compared to cast. Anyways here are the photos :p

like before let me know what you guys think so far.

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
Last of the work for the night found the sealed bearings and seals that will work with everything. All from McMaster-Carr :)

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
Im going to change the seals slightly to a different design that is better for the application.

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
That looks real good. Solid works?
yes I'm not much of a fan of the other cad software's. I should have some more stuff done tonight and i already have the flange & bearing carrier models over at a friend of mines machine shop. I would machine them myself but he has nicer machines then i do and can make them cheap then i can.

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
what's retaining the shaft axially?
I have some more parts to add to the shaft. I need to make a sleeve and bracket for the other side. Once those are on the shaft will only be able to move radially.

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Saweet! I've been hoping for a better egr when I get the big turbo bc the winters up here make their use mandatory. Ty

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
No EGR w/this, though.
Nope no EGR but whos to say we cant design the EGR in if its something that will sell but i think that will be far and few.

Also if you really want i can build you a heat exchanger that gets welded into your downpipe so you still get the faster engine warm up.

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
Starting to look expensive :) , I will be looking for an ALH version. Keep it simple.
It would seem that way but Im looking at a casting company we use that might be able to cut cost in half. The bearings, seals and other parts are cheep too price will be under 100 bucks either way it goes. Also this is the ALH version :D

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Now for those of you who keep saying your EGR doesnt clog up your intake with the new ULSD i call BS. This valve came off my friends TDI and we cleaned this 10 months ago 12k miles.

So, you're saying this because you know for certain that all EGRs will clog this way, or are you saying this based on this SINGLE instance (of which we really have no true background on)?

I can quite readily dig up anecdotes from others who would be taken aback by your statement. (I know of a top vendor on this forum who claims to have never had to clean his EGR/intake- he deals with stuff downstream of these things, in which case I think that he knows what he's talking about).

I'd urge you to not promote your product based on hearsay or one or two anecdotes.

FL/COtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Nope no EGR but whos to say we cant design the EGR in if its something that will sell but i think that will be far and few.
Also if you really want i can build you a heat exchanger that gets welded into your downpipe so you still get the faster engine warm up.
I can appreciate that thanks

miatamike203

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 jetta Tdi
So, you're saying this because you know for certain that all EGRs will clog this way, or are you saying this based on this SINGLE instance (of which we really have no true background on)?

I can quite readily dig up anecdotes from others who would be taken aback by your statement. (I know of a top vendor on this forum who claims to have never had to clean his EGR/intake- he deals with stuff downstream of these things, in which case I think that he knows what he's talking about).

I'd urge you to not promote your product based on hearsay or one or two anecdotes.
Look back at the older cars before they had EGR never seen one with a caked up manifold. Every car I've seen, worked on or owned that had an EGR would cake up like this. The cars that didn't have EGR the intake was clean. I had to take my intake off today as im replacing my turbo and my intake is clean. No build up at all when i got it 8k ago it was caked now nothing.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
PO idled their car (now mine, they were nice enough to retain records) to warm it in the winter
every 30k miles, it was down to a 3/4" airway through the intake right past the EGR
had to drill out the EGR cooler twice in four intake cleanings
all of this was after 2008

ulsd has no effect on wet stacking

Cha2ga

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW
That's looking really nice. I like the boost port being 1/8npt. Same size o ring? I'm excited for the future!

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Look back at the older cars before they had EGR never seen one with a caked up manifold. Every car I've seen, worked on or owned that had an EGR would cake up like this. The cars that didn't have EGR the intake was clean. I had to take my intake off today as im replacing my turbo and my intake is clean. No build up at all when i got it 8k ago it was caked now nothing.
And I can identify folks that still have their stock EGR valve (and coolers) and can claim the same!

I'm NOT saying that the EGR valve doesn't contribute to coking. What I'm saying is that improper operation has more to do with coking than people are willing to admit.

I have cleaned enough EGR valves and intakes (cleaned out a head on one car) to last me a lifetime (two!). And on the cars that I did I don't expect to have to clean them again (and they STILL have their stock components). One car went 150k miles and was running perfectly fine: I cleaned things because I replaced a bad EGR valve (turned out the valve was fine, it was the seal that was bad).

I'm running the same setup as here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5079154&postcount=24

"the intake was absolutely clean after 100k"

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
There are enough of us on this forum who have been running ALH engines since they came out. Many of us have had to go into the darn EGR system and intake manifold to clean them and we would dispute your contention.

You can baby them, you can drive the heck out of them you can utter Vodoo incantations all you want, they will clog. The best move I ever made was to "hack" the intake pipe and eliminate the problem.

This, the latest engineering and CAD-CAM approach, is based upon a lot of tech that did not exist seventeen years ago (at least not as readily available to the common tinkering type) and is a much refined industrial approach to making a working intake with shutdown/anti-shudder flap. None of the "race-pipes" up until now have offered this.

It may work fantastically offering many an option beyond the documented hacks of years earlier. Bring it on, the market will either prove it out or squish it!