Feeler: 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 5-speed, 196K mi, Boston

EECSentric

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL DSG LP
[SOLD]: 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 5-speed, 196K mi, Boston

SOLD.
It was and is a great car. It will be missed but has a great new owner.

Hi Folks,
Update. No longer a feeler but actually for sale. Family member that I thought wanted the car didn't want to learn stick. Looking for $xxxx to a good TDI loving home. I'd like if possible to sell the car before I need to put the snow tires back on.
I drive the car every once in a while but not too often. I keep it on a battery maintainer otherwise to keep the new battery healthy.
The Car: 2003 Jetta Wagon GL TDI w/ 5 Speed & Monsoon audio package. It is the last of the ALH series and the Wagons, as you know, were originally assembled in Germany. It has 196341 miles on it currently. I am the second owner and purchased the car in 2004 with 44K miles on it from the dealer as a CPO. I've kept the car very clean (as you can hopefully see from the photos).

Maintenance The car has seen full synthetic 5W-40 it's whole life on schedule. Anything more than basic maintenance has been performed by a trusted mechanic (KMH for the past many years). Most recently replaced the EGR flex pipe. Full timing belt kit & water pump were done by KMH at 176K after the water pump developed a slow leak. Brakes & Pads were done at 156K miles and A/C compressor and alternator one-way pulley shortly after.
Update 9/15: Replaced the battery with new OEM unit
Modifications
  • Rocket Chip Stage II (2006)
  • Bosio DLC1019 nozzles (w/ pop testing & balancing by KermaTDI, 2014)
  • VR6/G60 Clutch Upgrade (2006)
  • Bilstein TC Shocks & Struts (Installed at 170K miles, 2014)
  • Audi TT solid rubber control arm bushings (2014)
  • Billet machined CCV filter (and oil cap just for fun, 2005)
  • E-code headlights (volxtuning, 2014)
  • Euro light Switch w/ 5-light brake mods (2004)
  • Frostheater (1kW coolant heater) with marinco plug (2004)
  • Blitzsafe audio adapter w/ Belkin bluetooth unit for connection to stock Monsoon headunit
  • OEM rubber floor mats
  • Custom LED strip light for trunk (very bright)
  • Audi Q5 rear wiper & sprayer (2015)
  • Rear Red TDI badge
Wheels & Tires I actually have 3 sets of wheels/rubber for the car.
  • BF Goodrich Advantage T/A on 15" OEM steel rims w/ hubcaps (lost the logos driving a while back)
  • Blizzak MZ-01 on 16" steel rims
  • BF Goodrich g-Force T/A on 17" alloy rims from a Dodge SRT-4 (the rubber is old enough that it should likely be replaced). These bolt up with the same hub bore, just need conical bolts.
Rebuild: The one negative from a sales perspective on this car is that back in 2013 I was in an accident which necessitated repair. I want to be totally up front on this. To shorten a long story (fully documented in this thread with lots of details) the insurance company ran comps on the wrong car and the refused to fix their mistake instead reporting the car as a total. They then paid out far more than it cost to have the car fixed which I turned around and had Boyles Body Works completely repair the car. With the money left over I was able to pay for many of the upgrades listed above along with at least a two years of maintenance. The car title is free and clear (explicitly this is not a salvage title, see post #5) but carfax does report that Met Life reported a total loss in a quirk of MA title rules. It is very difficult to see the evidence of the accident since Bolyes did such a good job (we found perfect color matched donor parts so there wasn't any need to respray anything but underbody)
What's needed Very little. No mechanical problems and no internal damage, just a few more superficial issues. I tried to capture the cosmetic ones in the photos.
  • There are some minor paint chips that have developed into a few small rust spots (see photos)
  • The driver side fender is starting to see some rust (KMH replaced the pass side last year) and there is a kiss mark from the widowmaker jack
  • Update 9/15: Fixed tailgate actuator connection
  • The plastic end pieces to the trunk cover failed and I haven't repaired it yet.
  • I bought the relay & wiring harness for the E-code fog lights, but I haven't installed it yet so it's just in a box
Bonus I have some various other spare parts that I'd rather include with this car than part out individually. Extra filters, spare window regulator, CAT 2-micron fuel filter kit, various spare harnesses & trim pieces, etc. I also have the big red repair book (Bentley).
Photos in the next post

Last edited:

EECSentric

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL DSG LP
Car is still available.
I'm happy to sell the SRT-4 wheels separately.
I did have a PM from someone asking about the rear hatch issue. My response:
The rear hatch motor no longer actuates. I'd gone on a family trip where it had worked fine the whole trip until I pulled back into the driveway at the end of the trip. The key however still works fine to open the rear hatch.
I pulled the hatch cover. The rear hatch button (E234), rear key switch (E232), latch mechanism (E153) and motor (V139) all check out ok. I traced out the signals to the brown (T50) and black (TP5) connectors.
The CCM should send 12V to the hatch button E234 on pin 3 of T50 (wire color grn/brn) to detect when the button is pressed. Then it will send power to the motor (V139) to open the hatch. However I never measure anything on pin 3. I assume a wire break on this wire running back to the CCM. The next step would be to check for signal at connectors T5d (D-pillar right side, pin 3) and back at the CCM (T23 pin 2). Since both involved pulling out more trim and the key worked, I haven't bothered. The most likely culprit is T5d.

EECSentric

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL DSG LP
I swapped the all season wheels and tires on and took the winter wheels and tires off.

Car is still available. Runs great. It predates any dieselgate issues.

EECSentric

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL DSG LP
Updated description. A family member we thought needed the car no longer does (and didn't want to learn stick either). So I'm looking to sell the car. I'm looking for $3800 OBO. I'd love to see it go to another TDI loving family so it gets driven more than it does now.

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)
Too bad the rust wasn't taken care of before the 12 year rust warranty ended. GLWS. If sill available after I complete my buyback, I'm definitely interested.

RacerRoc

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Hi I am interested in the car and would like to chat with you. I sent you my phone number via pm a few days ago. Thanks,

Anthony

DFit

TDI
2015 GLI SEL, MK4 golf TDI (coming soon)
hey please let me know if this is still available. very interested. thanks.

MVP

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, GLS 5-speed, Baltic Green Past: 2001 Golf 4-door, GLS 5-speed
Is the car still for sale, or sold/pending deal?