2000 golf tdi coolant fans won't shut off

brenner

Veteran Member
TDI
1960 mercedes benz 180db2001 jetta gls tdi silver,2000 golf gls tdi,2002 dodge 3/4 cummins ho souped up
the coolant fans on my 2000 golf tdi will energize as soon as the ignition switch is turned on even on a cold start,the only way to disable them is to pull the 30 amp fuse located in the battery box,no codes are shown on the vag com, I suspect the coolant temp sensor switch has gone south. The temp sensor switch checks out ok .did anybody experience this problem? any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. thanks

Last edited:

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
could be the thermo fan switch in the radiator, mine last year ended up being the aux fan relay.... where in bc are ya?

brenner

Veteran Member
TDI
1960 mercedes benz 180db2001 jetta gls tdi silver,2000 golf gls tdi,2002 dodge 3/4 cummins ho souped up
coolant fan control switch

yes, that is the one I suspected to be at fault ,too bad it didn't throw a code to verify my suspicion.I live near Trail B.C. Thanks for the input.

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
there is a way to test the thermo fan switch but i can't remember off hand, but at eat not like me last year was in the minus 26 weather in the snow when I was up in Kelowna when it happened, not that fun to change that out with no garage.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Unplug the pressure switch on the air conditioner line near the expansion valve. If the fan shuts off, that is your problem. The other likely culprit is the fan controller under the battery.

brenner

Veteran Member
TDI
Fan controller

unplugged the pressure switch near the expansion valve as suggested ,it did not cure the problem,have now removed battery& related parts to access the fan controller unit (p/n 1j0919506k),my question is :does anybody know how to test this puppy? I imagine this unit is $$$ to replace.I would like to thank again everybody for the input.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Fan controller is about $150 US, dealers usually stock them. I do not know how to test them off the top of my head. They do fail common enough though.

brenner

Veteran Member
TDI
fan problem solved

Solved the problem ... well sort of,removed fan control unit from my wive's 2001 tdi jetta(which I know is ok) and installed it to the golf and voala everyting is ok again( except the little woman..ha ha).well I still need a new control unit ,but that's a different matter.thanks again guys you have been a great help :D

TDI
2000 VW Jetta TDI
I found a source at Alex-auto parts <goldmine918@gmail.com> Part number 1J0919506K Fan Module on EBAY. He was really great to work with. I actually made an error placing a bid and when I contacted him he worked with me. Their parts are listed as new also. The price was $24.99 + $15.00 Shipping. Local Dealer wanted $195.00. My A/C quit working suddenly and the mechanic says this part was suspect. I will update the post about the quality of the part and if it corrected the problem. Alex from E-Bay stepped up to help me out of a jam, I told him I would too, so if all turns out well and you need this part, he is a great source.