PD Tandem pump leaking!

Wallace

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 quattro.
I've been noticing a smell of Diesel form my car and also had a bit of a slow starting problem ie turning over more than yu would expect first thing in the morning and then lumpy running for 30 secs or so. Had a proper look today for the first time and it seems to be coming from the bottom of the Tandem pump. It's quite difficult to see around all the pipes etc in this area but the area of engine block just above where the engine and bellhousing meet is very wet with fuel and whenever i dry it off within a few secs more fuel runs down over it. I have done some research on the net and the site here and although it doesn't seem to be a common problem a few people have experienced it and there was also a recall but on newer cars than mine (2000 AJM ).
Does anyone have any info on the job, is it a replacement job or can it be repaired? Can it be repaired on the car or will it need to come off and if so how easy is this to do? I read in one post it may just be the gasket but I would have thought that if there was a leak inside the pump replacing the gasket would not necessarily be the answer. Any info/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Wallace

autodrnorth

TDI
96 Passat TDI totaled, 01 Golf TDI, 05 Passat TDI, 03 Jetta TDi Wagon, 02 Golf TDi
What was the fix for this? I know it was years ago. I have an 05 Passat that is leaking oil from the tandem pump and haven't found much besides your post. I did look into repair parts and there are none save for the gasket in between the pump and head.
Thanks, Charlie

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
If oil is leaking from the pump, its most likely the $10 mounting gasket. The tandem pump is lubricated by a galley in the cylinder head and the oil is exhausted back into the head via the vacuum pump (half of the tandem pump) exhaust port. Th etandem pump mounting gasket seals these two oil pathways, in addition to the fuel "in" and "out" ports. A leak from any other tandem pump gasket (like the cover plate) will necessitate a new pump. Parts are not available to fix it.

If you end up needing a new tandem pump, you can save about 40% (over your local dealer) by ordering through 1stvwparts.com. It comes with a new mounting gasket.

--Nate