Dual Horn kit tutorial

teamyoga

TDI
2015 Jetta TDS SEL (6M)
MK6 Jetta TDI Dual Horn Kit Upgrade

(This is informational only and I assume no responsibility for your project, efficiency, damage or other issues.)

I'm sure most of you know how to do this already. I'm posting it merely because I myself couldn't find a tutorial for ME. Hope it helps someone trying to upgrade from the lame OEM horn on the MK6 Jetta.

STEP 1 -
Remove the lower grill on the passenger side of the vehicle.
There are eight clips to be released and the prudent person uses a plastic tool so as not to do damage. I started at the top edge, inserted the tool between grill and the bumper and gently pried upward.

STEP 2 -
Here's the back side of the lower grill so you can see what you're dealing with.

STEP 3 -
Here's a look inside the grill opening on the passenger side. There's the OEM horn (in the ellipse) and the bracket/flange it's attached to. It's a 14mm nut. After we review the kit parts you'll remove the horn and set it and the nut/washer aside. They will not be used.

STEP 4 -
I'm using a dual horn kit from Andy Rodriguez at AA Rodriguez. The horn kit comes with a low and high tone horn (2) and the metal bracket. For the MK6 (at least MY 2012 Jetta TDI) you'll need their advertised adapter for a one horn configuration. It consists of a split wiring harness. It's very well made.

STEP 5 -
Removal of the old horn requires releasing the connector. This is the sort of thing you can spend 30 minutes on so I'm providing three looks in the hopes it's a 30 second task.

Here's a closeup of the connector and a pointer to where we're going to insert the screwdriver tip for releasing.

Small standard screwdriver in that upper opening, then pry toward the brown and black wires.

Now the kit installation. Connect the new wiring harness to the two new horns. Then connect the harness to the OEM connector - it's a very snug fit. I opted to affix one horn (horn2) to the new bracket, tightening the nut by hand. On the other (horn 1) I left the tooth washer on the threads then fed the post up through the hole in the new bracket, then the flange.

It takes some jostling, wiggling, and repositioning to get the dual setup back in and in the right position. It occurred to me it might be better to mount horn 2 on the opposite side of the bracket but I made it work this way and as long as everything was secured I didn't care much what would be where.

The last step is to replace the grill. I figure if you can take it off you can get it back on so I'm not picturing it here.

Hope this is helpful.

Last edited:

dirtysouthjacket

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium 6MT, 2004 Jetta TDI GLS (sold)
Nice! You probably spent more time editing pics than you did on the swap! I replaced the old link in the DIY thread with this much better one. Thanks!

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
All kits come with that bracket right?

I'd like to get it for my 2015 Jetta as it has the same problem with only one miserable horn.
If you select the option, "My car only came with one horn" you will receive the bracket.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I installed the AARodriguez Dual Horn Kit on my 2015 Jetta SEL TDI this afternoon....WOW! best $40+ I ever spent on one of my TDI'S the Factory horn truly SUCKed! and as Mollari 2261 above said above it was truly a Pain!! and on a 2015 with foglights it is a bigger pain....But well worth it! I did it the way it was described above took the inner fender well out.....these are Great!!

Last edited:

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
For the MK6 (at least MY 2012 Jetta TDI) you'll need their advertised adapter for a one horn configuration. It consists of a split wiring harness. It's very well made.
Unfortunately it does not appear long enough since I already have the OEM VW bracket and horn and intend to mount the secondary horn in the original position on the driver's side.

The connectors to the horn have been sourced, but I will have to find the connector on the horn to make my own harness. That or a used donor horn.

Nice write-up and great clear pics!

mk6pat

TDI
Jetta 2015 Highline DSG
I installed the AARodriguez Dual Horn Kit on my 2015 Jetta SEL TDI this afternoon....WOW! best $40+ I ever spent on one of my TDI'S the Factory horn truly SUCKed! and as Mollari 2261 above said above it was truly a Pain!! and on a 2015 with foglights it is a bigger pain....But well worth it! I did it the way it was described above took the inner fender well out.....these are Great!!
I need to remove the Left Lower Fog Grill to install my brand new Dual Horn that I have just received from AARodriguez
Do you know how to you remove the Lower Grill on a 2015 Jetta TDI with Fog Lights ?

Here is the Fog Light Grill alone, it looks like it only covers the upper part, what do you think ?
Thanks

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I need to remove the Left Lower Fog Grill to install my brand new Dual Horn that I have just received from AARodriguez
Do you know how to you remove the Lower Grill on a 2015 Jetta TDI with Fog Lights ?

Here is the Fog Light Grill alone, it looks like it only covers the upper part, what do you think ?the
Thanks
I did not remove the Fog Light grills to install my Horn kit...I jacked up the car pulled the right front wheel dropped the Lower engine cover and partially pulled out the right front inner fender liner!to pull out those grills you will need a plastic pry tool but you absolutely have to be very careful you will scratch the paint and or break the tabs off grills

mk6pat

TDI
Jetta 2015 Highline DSG
The fog light adjuster is not on the front it is on the back and below when I dropped the lower engine cover the adjuster is there
Here is the location of the Fog Lights adjuster in red and the adjuster mechanism in blue:

Easy to adjust but PITA to remove

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
But how do VW Dealers removed the Fog Light if we have to unscrew them from the front ?

The Fog Lights also need to be adjusted from the front

There should be a way to remove the grill if they sell it as a part

All those little tabs are what need to be released. I used a $9 harbor freight trim tool kit (actually just one piece of it) and it worked fine. Suuuuper simple. I replaced both fog lights in about 20 minutes.

Jim28269

TDI
2012 MK6 Jetta TDI Premium, DSG in Reflect Silver with 135,000 miles on the odometer
Just upgraded my horns as well to the AA Rodriquez dual setup and it makes a world of difference - definitely worth the cost and the time to install.
I did mine through the front grill and with the fog light removed; definitely not a fun I stLl but doable.

cdzero

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
This post was very useful. I spent hours looking for the location of the horn in my 2012 VW TDI until I found this post. Thanks.

voilsb

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I have a question about this... How possible is it to install a dual horn setup like this, but leave the old horn in place to beep with the lock, or especially to beep like the lock, but button activated from the driver seat for more polite honking, like "hey the lights green" or "I'm in your blind spot fyi"?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

teamyoga

TDI
2015 Jetta TDS SEL (6M)
I've moved the photos off to a new web host. Sorry for any inconvenience. I was not aware photobucket had changed policy on third-party posting.

The mod on the 2015 with the fog lights sounds pretty hairy. Anyone have photos of that to add to the thread??

VWJetta2012

TDI
VW Jetta
Great tutorial!
It's second time that my horn has died in 6 years. Now I did not wanted to simply replace the OEM horn, but wanted to upgrade it because it's just sounds like kids scooter. The dual horn kit works excellent with my 2012 VW Jetta! It's perfect fit, and it comes with the same connector as the existing one. Just plug and play. (Make sure you select the proper adapter cable with it!)

I used the above tutorial, but also made an extra hole on the bracket and centered the horns in the available space, facing them both forward.

The sound is way better than original and it's probably costs less then if you would buy 2 horns from a retail. Also you can save the hassle of making a connector. My only issue with the horns was the connections were loose and I had to redo them. They simply been pulled off from the weight of the horns when I was inserting them.

Here is a pic of the replacements.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XZimpAAbiLhARVHE2

Scongiundi

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI (6spd manual), 2015 Jetta TDI SE (6spd manual)
Nice. I just took off the front bumper. Just a bunch of screws and it comes right off.

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
The horn is still located passenger side, even if the car has fog lights as stated in this thread?
Price here for new horn at VW is 130 bucks before taxes which sucks.
Went to scarp yard and got one off of a 2013 & one from a 2015 Jetta, also one off of a 2000 Jetta.
The 13 and 15 are all plastic construction, one worked and one didn't.
The 2000 is metal in the throat and the body is plastic. The 2000 is also larger in size and when testing them the one from the A4 sounds to be louder to my ears.
The connecter on the A4 looks the same as the dual horn setup everyone seems to be getting and using in this thread.
Will make a harness up to use the one good one from the A6 Jetta and the one, larger from the A4 Jetta, but in mean time use the A6 one so when some dip head is about to hit me, I can use the horn again.

Last edited:

FXDL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI with DSG
Where can one get the connecter that is in the kit.
The connecter that will plug into the car connection ?
Can then make up my own dual horn setup with out cutting into the horn wiring etc..
Make up head of time and then simple mount and plug and play