FS: 2000 Audi A3 TDI 5 spd

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
Factory european 2000 Audi A3 1.9L TDI 5 speed. AHF engine code. 110hp stock and now chipped. 5 speed. Plenty of upgrades: lowered springs, upper strut tie bar, 18" alloys, Kamei grill and S series front bumper. Leather interior. 296TKM. Just had a full proper Timing belt kit including the H20 pump. Imported properly and clear registration in my name.
One very cool detail on this car is that while is very cool and unique looking it's basically a MK IV Golf under the skin so all service components are readily available.

$9750

This was imported properly and is registered here in the province of Ontario. There are no EPA or DOT stickers on this car. US entry is likely not a viable option.

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
^^ naw, it's gotta be 25 years old to clear federal laws for importing cars. the other option would be 'significantly similar' - but there is no way you'll get VW to sign off on this being 'significantly similar' to anything sold in the US, even though it's basically a Golf.

I went though this since I sold my 4D golf in Michigan, and I did all the import legwork for him. VW issued me a letter of conformity since a canadian Golf 4D is the same as a US Golf 4D, so they had no problem giving me the letter. However, since the A3 was never sold in the US or Canada, and it never went through crash testing to our standards, VW won't sign off on it, and therefore the federal gov't won't sign off on it.

There are two other ways to import a car, one is to buy a bunch, crash test them, then get federal approval; the other way is if the car has made 'the list'. 'The list' is basically a handful of exotic and rare automobiles like an EB110, for example. The rich and powerful lobbied to have a special classification for their uber-rare car collections, so there is a list of cars allowed for purposes of exhibition and collection that are allowed in without federal approval. The A3 is not on this list.

In Canada, we can import anything we want if it's over 15 years old, federal law doesn't care but we can still get screwed on emissions testing and whatnot and never actually be able to plate it. Getting insurance can also be tricky.

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
^^ lol, I mean legally, those are the ways to LEGALLY import a car. By your logic, he could stick a vin # off a golf onto it and claim it's a modified golf.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
the other way to "get around the rule" is to buy two cars identical, one US spec'd and the other a diesel car brought in broken down to pieces for parts. .....then transplant the diesel's drive train into the US spec'd certified car.....wha-la you have a registered US legal diesel version of a particular car never sold here...

Now this works as long as you do not change too much stuff, below a certain % of the original car. As someone found out in eastern NC if you change too much it suddenly becomes the car that was never certified for US use so is confiscated....

by the way, I am not endorsing this,.... but I have seen the above used to get a drivetrain through the system....

^^ lol, I mean legally, those are the ways to LEGALLY import a car. By your logic, he could stick a vin # off a golf onto it and claim it's a modified golf.

And changing the vin's on frames, not a good idea....

I saw a guy get caught for doing that with a mexican spec'd old body style Beetle when I was in Hawaii.

On a yearly inspection required in Hawaii, the state somehow figured out it was not the car which it was registered as.

Hawaii immediately confiscated it, rendering a heavy fine on its owner... I believe it was exported back to mexico to be sold for proceeds for the state...

And that was essentially what got that clown who got caught in trouble with the import gods in eastern NC.....

From what he( eastern NC) was accused of.... he (his company took a much later model of late model diesel versions to pass as older cars for uncle. He took those much later model year frames which had diesel power installed in them from other parts of the world)....

He Made them appear, by some modifications appear to be the originally designed frames then hung the restored to new appearance US spec'd body's onto them......

He sold tens of these modified cars before Uncle found out, from his widely advertised car lot over years. Uncle found out what he was doing from a customer who reported him because of an unresolved issue on one of the modified sold vehicles.

Uncle then investigated what had been done by taking one of these apart. From what they found they believed they had enough to prove what was claimed so then confiscated all the cars that had been modified like this....

meaning....don't mess with uncle...