Am I on the right track? "Performance" parts shopping

BradyS

TDI
2009 jetta tdi
I had that itch to do some stuff to my 09 jetta but after the news on the 2.0L came out that obviously stopped that. With the buyback coming soon (hopefully) I'm looking into a 04 golf TDI as my replacement with the goal in mind to up my mpg as the top priority but also adding power. Parts I'm looking at are 800pd nozzles, 2.5 turboback most likely straight piped, stg 2 daily clutch, tune, and delete the egr and the cooler. Don't know if using brand names are OK on here so I'll hold off till someone else says otherwise. Thanks in advance everyone

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
PD's like to eat cams so budget that just in case you need one. Colt or Franko makes nice billet replacements that are designed to last.

Not sure what 800 PD nozzles are but talk to whomever your buying them from to get the correct units.

I'd be looking at another turbo too, a VNT 17 or other turbo would be worthwhile upgrade, the stocker is just too small and prone to exploding.

BradyS

TDI
2009 jetta tdi
I've been doing more reading seeing as my 09 is the first TDI I've had and it seems like the alh might be the way to go for what I want. Cheaper parts and I have seen a lot of comments about cam issues in used PD motors

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
I've been doing more reading seeing as my 09 is the first TDI I've had and it seems like the alh might be the way to go for what I want. Cheaper parts and I have seen a lot of comments about cam issues in used PD motors
Both engines have issues. If you're handy, the cam thing isn't a big deal. I like the PD, its smoother and quieter but my wife's ALH has way more grunt.

BradyS

TDI
2009 jetta tdi
I am not the most handy guy but my best friend/roommate is so that's a huge plus. I was leaning towards the PD but seeing as I can alh parts cheaper than the PD that might be what seals the deal.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I am not the most handy guy but my best friend/roommate is so that's a huge plus. I was leaning towards the PD but seeing as I can alh parts cheaper than the PD that might be what seals the deal.
That's great. Luckily, I have one of each, :cool: