"507, 505, Amsoil, blah blah blah"....but what VISCOSITY?

VwPassion

Veteran Member
TDI
Polo 1.2 Tdi '13
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...mula-5w-30-synthetic-motor-oil/?code=AELQT-EA

".. *All trademarked names and images are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use. AMSOIL products are formulated to meet or exceed the performance requirements set forth by the manufacturers of all applications shown/listed here. "

Direct from their site .
They not meet, exceed, recommended or approved . Formulated to match something is not make it approved ( its a word trick as i already mention to avoid lawsuit) .Identical items to any original spec is just clones . As i said are not bad oils , it just not approved by any car manufacturer . Stop lie around .... They cannot use at any of products the phrase " Approved by VW ..." Or "MB approved ...") etc .They have not certified oils . Get it !!

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...mula-5w-30-synthetic-motor-oil/?code=AELQT-EA

".. *All trademarked names and images are the property of their respective owners and may be registered marks in some countries. There is no affiliation or endorsement claim, express or implied, made by their use. AMSOIL products are formulated to meet or exceed the performance requirements set forth by the manufacturers of all applications shown/listed here. "

Direct from their site .
They not meet, exceed, recommended or approved . Formulated to match something is not make it approved ( its a word trick as i already mention to avoid lawsuit) .Identical items to any original spec is just clones . As i said are not bad oils , it just not approved by any car manufacturer . Stop lie around .... They cannot use at any of products the phrase " Approved by VW ..." Or "MB approved ...") etc .They have not certified oils . Get it !!
NO! You don't get it! That's all old data. The internet is full of it Actually contact Amsoil or VW and post your results. Not just troll the net.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke

VwPassion

Veteran Member
TDI
Polo 1.2 Tdi '13
.... and to reveal more "scammy" info ...
https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html

"...which are distinctly marked with the label indicating the approval of Mercedes-Benz, e.g. “MB-Approval 229.51”. Labels referring e.g. to “MB 229.51” don't have an approval of Mercedes-Benz."

... at their...approvals ....

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL European Car Formula 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil is engineered for use in gasoline or diesel vehicles that require any of the following specifications:​

• API SN; SM…
  • ACEA C3
  • BMW LL-04
  • Mercedes Benz 229.51
  • Porsche C30
  • GM dexos 2™
  • Chrysler MS-11106
  • Manufacturer Approvals: VW 504.00, 507.00

Not MB approved... Scam !

Can see now the way that they use the words ???

Don t BS around ....

VwPassion

Veteran Member
TDI
Polo 1.2 Tdi '13
NO! You don't get it! That's all old data. The internet is full of it Actually contact Amsoil or VW and post your results. Not just troll the net.
Their product data pdf from their site at bottom says @2016 Amsoil Inc etc etc
Are not old data ....

VwPassion

Veteran Member
TDI
Polo 1.2 Tdi '13
You still haven't personally contacted Amsoil or any auto manufacturer just more internet trolling. You are B.S.ing around. As my dead grandmother would say......It's true I read it in the newspaper.
Approving an oil formula is not only matching chemical components . It must have a specific worldwide approved language written on bottle . This is for separate original spec approved oils from all the "rest" . Amsoil cannot use this original "language" because have zero approvals . If use it even once at any of their products w/o having the approval ,will have problems. That s why tricking around with expressions like "formulated for .." or "engineering for.." etc . Cant use the official approved language ,its trademark only for approved oils ...

VwPassion

Veteran Member
TDI
Polo 1.2 Tdi '13
https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g3395.pdf

Take a look at the second page of the latest Amsoil Spec sheet - on the lower left hand side. The 5w-30 and the 5w-40 European Formulas are in fact on VW's Approved List.
No ,are not . Is used an asterisk to the end of the phrase to point with very very little letters the phrase that i did gave already up .Its not approved ...

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
(Note that the Official Approval for the 5w-40/EFM European Formula, occurred in December of 2016, so it's not listed on the Spec Sheet, which dates from January of 2016)

TS

Last edited:

VwPassion

Veteran Member
TDI
Polo 1.2 Tdi '13
(Note that the Official Approval for the 5w-40/EFM European Formula, occurred just recently (about 1-2 months ago), so it does not show up on this Spec sheet, which dates from January of 2016.

Tk
When an approval occurs ,any oil industry is forced to change any technical infos . They say approved from 2016 and even if so they got the approval recently ,they still use the data from 2016 ? Not valid that . Seriously...

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
This is a cut and paste from the Dealer part of the Amsoil Website)

"European Car Formula Gains Manufacturer Approvals
Posted: December 16, 2016 - Announcement

European Car Formula recently received four additional specification approvals. European Car Formula 5W-30 Improved ESP Synthetic
Motor Oil (AEL) now features the Volkswagen 504.00 and 507.00 specification approvals. European Car Formula 5W-40 Classic ESP Synthetic Motor Oil (EFM) has gained the Volkswagen 502.00 and 505.00 specification approvals. The formulations have not changed. Labels of the various package sizes will reflect the update as our inventory is refreshed."

VwPassion

Veteran Member
TDI
Polo 1.2 Tdi '13
What you just posted makes no sense. Have a nice day. I'll bet you are the life of a party.
Any "foreign" letter or symbol to a phrase that is claimed to be original ,automatically make it not original trademark to the specs . The phrase have an asterisk = scam ...

VwPassion

Veteran Member
TDI
Polo 1.2 Tdi '13
This is a cut and paste from the Dealer part of the Amsoil Website)

"European Car Formula Gains Manufacturer Approvals
Posted: December 16, 2016 - Announcement

European Car Formula recently received four additional specification approvals. European Car Formula 5W-30 Improved ESP Synthetic
Motor Oil (AEL) now features the Volkswagen 504.00 and 507.00 specification approvals. European Car Formula 5W-40 Classic ESP Synthetic Motor Oil (EFM) has gained the Volkswagen 502.00 and 505.00 specification approvals. The formulations have not changed. Labels of the various package sizes will reflect the update as our inventory is refreshed."
Not approved ....

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I'll type this in slowly so that even the more intellectually challenged, European Forum members can understand it....������

The Amsoil 5w-30, European Formula IS on VW's Approved List for VW 504/507
The Amsoil 5w-40, Classic European Formula IS on VW's Approved List for VW 502/505.00

The Amsoil 5w-40, Mid-SAPS European Formula is recommended for VW 502/505.01, but is NOT on VW's Approved List
The Amsoil 0w-40, Classic European Formula is recommended for VW 502.00/505.00, but is NOT on VW's Approved List - even though it has the same additive chemistry as their 5w-40 that is approved for these Apps (that's strictly a business decision, since the 0w-40 is fully PAO based, and so this would require duplication of all the engine tests)

For what it's worth, the 5w-30 and the 0w-40 have the best extreme temperature properties of these four oils and would be my choice if you want to stick with a VW Spec oil. However as I previously mentioned, the general consensus is that the latest API Spec, HD diesel oils (current "CK-4/SN" ), will work even better in older TDI Motors not requiring a low ash oil. This is particularly true of the PD engines which really need an xw-40 oil, the thicker the better (in terms of HTHS viscosity).

If you still have questions, please feel free to email me @ Twoslickusa@netscape.net

Thanks...

TS
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...mentid=11038&usg=AOvVaw07q9UtDOi-TXFdzo4QlsdI confirms your claim about the European car formula having VW 502/507 approval as of 04-15-2016. So my bad on that point.

Good oil bad oil? A little history:

AMSOIL Founder and Industry pioneer Al Amatuzio built his company AMSOIL on the same principles that defined his career as a jet fighter squadron commander – excellence, integrity and strong leadership. In 1972, the breakthrough came. AMSOIL 10W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil, the result of years of research and inspired by aerospace technology, became the first synthetic motor oil in the world to meet American Petroleum Institute service requirements. It outperformed conventional oils on all counts, signaling a new age in lubrication science. Today, virtually every other motor oil manufacturer has recognized the superiority of synthetic lubricants and followed the AMSOIL lead with introductions of synthetic motor oils of their own. Accept no substitutes – AMSOIL is The First in Synthetics®.
---------------------------------

When Al founded Amsoil no one else produced automotive synthetic oil and the claims of extended OIC's were/are completely true when comparing a synthetic oil to a conventional oil. I think that the oil industry has caught up with what Al did so that today, synthetic oils are sold by pretty much every oil company on the planet.

So really, implying that one oil is better than another oil when both are manufactured to the same spec doesn't hold water.

The whole VW 505.01 mess? Since VW does not recommend an API or ACEA spec for my 2006 PD engine, I get around that by using Schaeffer's 9000 5W40 which is recommended by a well respected rebuilder of these engines on this forum. http://www.schaefferoil.com/documents/244-9000-td.pdf Seems to have worked so far at 184K thousand miles.

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g3468.pdf Has the same ACEA-E9 through E-12 European rating as the Schaeffer's 9000. I would have no problem with using it.

Last edited:

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Michael B,

Clearly English is not his first language - and something's being lost in the translation.

TS

TooSlick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Audi 100S
Old Rattler,

I don't want to get off on another big oil discussion here, but the Spec requirements are just the minimum standard you have to meet. The top tier synthetics tend to go above and beyond these Specs. As just one example, none of the standard engine sequence tests required for the latest API, gas (SN), or HD diesel (CK-4), address the issue of extended drain performance of the oil being tested. So you have to rely on the oil company to have conducted testing that goes above and beyond these minimum standards. Amsoil will run these tests for 2-3 times the required number of hours and still pass the requirements of a standard length test.

TS

VwPassion

Veteran Member
TDI
Polo 1.2 Tdi '13
If i make a similar product to Coca-Cola , you think that i will be allowed to use at bottle the EXACT Coca-Cola trademark w/o any problems ? I ll use something similar to the brand name like Cola-Cola or w/e and if is available i will license it w/o any problems . But even the similarity of these two names ,my product will never be Coca-Cola . Same law applies to any trademark licensed products ,evaluations,specifications and a lot more . If they not able to use the exact specification language on bottle as is licensed to be , they are not approved ....

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Michael B,

Clearly English is not his first language - and something's being lost in the translation.

TS
Agreed but he will be back to dispute it......that's just his nature that I have seen in the past. English language or not he just keeps it up as he knows more than anybody else from the data he has scored from his internet searches. He seems to have a bone to pick so if we here are smart as in the past we will stop feeding this troll. And he will go back under his bridge.

Last edited:

mu3098

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI, 2011 VW Golf Wagon TDI
I think the problem is that he is applying European law/rules to a North American company and website. Even in North America they have different labeling on their products sold for the Canadian Market vs the US market because of different labeling requirements in Canada.

VwPassion

Veteran Member
TDI
Polo 1.2 Tdi '13
I think the problem is that he is applying European law/rules to a North American company and website. Even in North America they have different labeling on their products sold for the Canadian Market vs the US market because of different labeling requirements in Canada.
Labeling an oil spec is a precise process and not "something of this and something of that " . Its same for whole planet .

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Labeling an oil spec is a precise process and not "something of this and something of that " . Its same for whole planet .
as I just said...........here we go Steven Hawkings of the entire motor oil world and everything involved in it due to his searches of the web and his personal conjecture.

mu3098

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI, 2011 VW Golf Wagon TDI
An oil spec is a precise process but labeling of an oil product is not. Different countries have different laws and requirements. Some countries allow group III oils to be labeled as synthetic oil others do not.