Tried to order '09, conflicting info from dealer

firewired

TDI
Jetta
Went to one of two local dealers tonight. The original salesman did not know any of the specifics about ordering and options, so sent me to the salesman that "knew everything" about ordering the TDI. Only thing is a lot of the information seemed different from the threads that I have been reading here. This is my first time ordering a VW so I wouldn't be skeptical except for what I have been reading on the threads. Could you please correct any misconceptions or mis-information I have been told.

1) Salesman said that there was no such thing as a "loyal edition" as an order-able option. Said that that was the demo car with the "concept car" logo they had received, and each dealer would just get that one. I told him I had seen the ordering guide and it looked like it was an order-able option that had among other things an upgraded stereo. He knew of nothing about this.

2) He said that white was not an order-able color.

3) He said if I ordered by tomorrow night I would get the car their next available allocation (October), otherwise it would slip to their following allocation.

4) He had no idea if I went for the DSG if that included shifters on the steering wheel like it seemed to indicate on several threads

5) When I asked about the TDI Sport possibly coming out in a few months, and being listed but not order-able on VWHub he just looked at me and his eyes glazed over

Thanks for any help.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Print the order guide from here and take it with you to a new dealer who has a clue. The person/dealer you are dealing with is clueless.

thefly

Veteran Member
TDI
None
firewired said:
4) He had no idea if I went for the DSG if that included shifters on the steering wheel like it seemed to indicate on several threads
I might be wrong as I have yet to test drive myself, but I am fairly certain that the jetta tdi's do not have the paddles for shifting the dsg on the steering wheel. Rather this is controlled on the shifter by moving over to the right (to engage "manual" shifter function) and then either forward (+) for upshifts and backwards (-) for downshifts. A few have commented on how this isn't as fun as the gti's that uise the paddle shifters.

Last edited:

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
The salesman at the dealership where I test drove the 09 TDI told me that there are only two options for this car:

S - Manual
SE (Loyal Edition) DSG

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
Try to order somewhere else

"Tried to order '09, conflicting info from dealer"

I emailed four VW dealers with specs of my choosing. Talked with all four on the phone, then went to the one with the best price and best replies to my answers. Ordered the car as I chose.

I think it's time to try another dealer, different salesman. I suggest screening them over the phone before you take the trip. Often the internet sales person is more up to date on info because his/her clientele are more knowledgeable. Their learning curve is higher.

Regards,
DEZ

firewired

TDI
Jetta
I appreciate the feedback. I got the order guide and ordered from that dealer. Straight MSRP. Only other dealer in town's internet sales person stated they had too many orders, and were not taking any currently which I was pretty surprised to hear of a dealer turning away business. Dealer I ordered from estimated 60 to 90 delivery. They sounded a little more knowledgeable stating candy white was not an order-able color until August in the system for some reason.

One thing that is strange is that several have reported on other threads about ordering the loyalty package in different colors. Upgraded stereo sounded great to me. Several dealers I have called and email said the loyalty edition just refers to the demo car that all the dealers received. Has anyone heard different?

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Just got off the phone a with friend that is a VW US rep .

Here is what I was told ;

As of right now there are only white Loyal Editions that have been built for sale in the US . And they have been built with 6 spd manuals & 6 spd Tips . They are identical to the current demonstrators and were built in very limited numbers . Many are already at port in the US , some are in transit and will be shipped out to the dealers in a few weeks . NONE have been sold yet , delivered that is . All were built in May & June so all the Loyal Editions of the TDI-CRs have already been produced and are being shipped as we speak .

VW has a tentative option plans for the ones to come after the Loyal Editions , nothing is completely set down yet . What will be offered option wise after the Loyal Editions will greatly depend on how well the Loyal Editions sell . I've read of other colors being offered on the Loyal Edition cars but my friend said as far as she knew there were no other colors white was it .

So if you want many options on the later in the year TDI-CRs hope for extremely good sales on the Loyal Editions . If any of these Loyal Editions end up just sitting on a lot waiting to be sold don't look for the Loyal Edition option packages again . We are likely to only get stripped down versions after this if the above happens .

RUSHtheBUS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan. #13,500
Does that mean that my dealer will be getting the ones built in May/June before the car that I have an order number for?

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RUSHtheBUS said:
Does that mean that my dealer will be getting the ones built in May/June before the car that I have an order number for?
Those are the ones already on the way , will be delivered first . If the dealer has ordered any of Loyal Editions they will be the first to arrive . If you ordered otherwise more than likely it hasn't been built yet .

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
THE 09's are coming with the DSG. The Tip(Tiptronic Automatic), is not sold in the Jetta anymore. This has been said many times by many people, so please stop saying Tiptronic, it is not the same as the DSG.:rolleyes:

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
LokiWolf said:
THE 09's are coming with the DSG. The Tip(Tiptronic Automatic), is not sold in the Jetta anymore. This has been said many times by many people, so please stop saying Tiptronic, it is not the same as the DSG.:rolleyes:
Again Tip refers to an automatic that is manually shifted not to the type of automatic . VWAG has all along had slushbox & DSG Tips , Tiptronic is a VWAG registered trade mark by the way . And not many at VW know the difference between a DSG & slushbox Tip . And of course the 09 TDI-CR has a DSG automatic that is labeled by the registered trade marked Tiptronic 6 spd .

VW has been playing with calling all automatics that can be shifted manually with no regard to type of automatic all the way back to the first TDI NB with the DSG in the US . And now they have decided to go that route on the new TDI of calling it a Tiptronic with no mention of it being a DSG .

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
rotarykid said:
Again Tip refers to an automatic that is manually shifted not to the type of automatic . VWAG has all along had slushbox & DSG Tips , Tiptronic is a VWAG registered trade mark by the way . And not many at VW know the difference between a DSG & slushbox Tip . And of course the 09 TDI-CR has a DSG automatic that is labeled by the registered trade marked Tiptronic 6 spd .

VW has been playing with calling all automatics that can be shifted manually with no regard to type of automatic all the way back to the first TDI NB with the DSG in the US . And now they have decided to go that route on the new TDI of calling it a Tiptronic with no mention of it being a DSG .
Now see, that might just make a little sense.

But why on the order sheet shown above, does it mention both?

The DSG has always been able to be "Shifted manually", so why change the name for some models and not others? It just doesn't make sense.

Of course it doesn't appear that VW always makes sense...:rolleyes: