Mazda SkyActiv Diesel Engine

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
VW the same company that's replacing fenders and hatches on 12 year old MKIVs due to rust?
And the same company that was in denial about the HPFP issue for how long?
And the same company that took 5yrs to sort out the glow plug/SW issues on 04/05 Passats?
And the same company that denied any responsibility for weak cams and BSMs on PD models?

The 12yr replacement was written into the warranty, so they didn't have much wiggle room.
VW's perceived quality would be much better if they would take care of their customers and worry a little less about a new ad campaign to make up the short fall.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
And the same company that was in denial about the HPFP issue for how long?
And the same company that took 5yrs to sort out the glow plug/SW issues on 04/05 Passats?
And the same company that denied any responsibility for weak cams and BSMs on PD models?

The 12yr replacement was written into the warranty, so they didn't have much wiggle room.
VW's perceived quality would be much better if they would take care of their customers and worry a little less about a new ad campaign to make up the short fall.

You call dealers replacing HPFPs under warranty denial? Is that also the same company that replaced my glowplugs/module and did a reflash on my BEW that had 430,000kms on it? (ie well out of warranty). BTW that car is also still on the stock cam, crazy what the proper oil does!

You should buy something other than a VW if you think the grass is greener somewhere else. We won't miss you.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The brevity of memory is ridiculously low, if it happened more than two years ago no one seems to remember. I'd even be willing to wager that if it happened 12 months ago few would remember.
Unless it's the 1970s diesel GM cars. Everybody remembers those. Even people that are in their 20s seem to remember those failures.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
And the same company that took five model years (FIVE!) to fix the intercooler problems on commonrail engines (Passat excluded).

But that's not important. What's the latest news from Mazda's VDD (vaporware diesel division)?

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
And the same company that took five model years (FIVE!) to fix the intercooler problems on commonrail engines (Passat excluded).

But that's not important. What's the latest news from Mazda's VDD (vaporware diesel division)?
Apparently that's still not fixed.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
It is as of the 2015 model year in everything except the Passat, which was fixed as of the 2012 model year.

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Adios!

You call dealers replacing HPFPs under warranty denial? Is that also the same company that replaced my glowplugs/module and did a reflash on my BEW that had 430,000kms on it? (ie well out of warranty). BTW that car is also still on the stock cam, crazy what the proper oil does!

You should buy something other than a VW if you think the grass is greener somewhere else. We won't miss you.
Are you humoring yourself that we would miss YOU?:eek:

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
Well, this went down hill in a hurry...

AS I always say...VW's are for those that like to work on cars. If you don't, own a Toyota or some other soulless vehicle that would never think of breaking.

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
BTW that car is also still on the stock cam, crazy what the proper oil does!
I luv ya buddy, but I hope you're knockin on wood every time u say that......... I did one last night at 178k and another coming on Monday with 228k.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
More Zoom Needed

As he said back in December, O'Sullivan claimed the Skyactiv-D engine meets all of the necessary emissions regulations, but doesn't provide enough sportiness to match the brand's "Zoom-Zoom" image.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news...ap-but-performance-must-be-suitable-exec-says

Now, Mazda won't discuss a timeline for the diesel's launch. At this rate, it's conceivable that the Mazda 6 will be redesigned before the Skyactiv-D engine becomes available.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Come on Mazda, give up on trying to reinvent the engine and bring a diesel to market already! :rolleyes:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Well, at this point, they're probably betting the farm on SkyActiv 2, which will actually be HCCI if it ever works. It's not long before they were scheduled to get those engines going.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
They likely will not bring a diesel here until CAFE rules start to threaten their lower mpg offerings in 2016-17 model year at the earliest. That is when CAFE really starts to have some influence over what can be offered here.

This the timeline when GM and Ford have stated they will start to have to offer diesel power in their pickups to meet CAFE regs.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
For GM, I would think that timeline could get extended if the Colorado/Canyon diesels take off. But I guess that's the same model year, so makes me wonder if GM will roll out a 1500 diesel at the same time as the midsized diesel trucks. I'd rather see any of the manufacturers offer a diesel in their CUV/SUV line.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Along the same lines, has anyone read about the new Ford Ute for the world market, the Australian designed Asian built New Ranger?

Supposed to show up in the Australian market next month. It will have gas and diesel power, but Of course we are not in line to get it......

For the life of me I cannot understand why they do not think this thing would sell here???

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Cost.

If it costs as much as an F-150 but is smaller, it won't sell here. And, that's the problem with small trucks - materials cost very little, it's assembly that costs, and that's the same for a small truck and a big truck.

mishkaya

TDIClub Contributor
TDI
'06 Jetta 5MT, '10 JSW MT, '14 JSW 6MT
Cost.

If it costs as much as an F-150 but is smaller, it won't sell here. And, that's the problem with small trucks - materials cost very little, it's assembly that costs, and that's the same for a small truck and a big truck.
That's not entirely true. I have a full size truck that I use for work, but am currently using the sportwagen as a replacement when possible. I would love to have a pocket sized pickup that gets great mileage in town. At 30k miles per year, mileage matters. The other problem I have with a full size truck is parking, which can be very problematic with a full size. The market may be small, but it is there...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Cost.

IMHO, what shut the market down for most small trucks was the rebates and incentives on the full sized trucks. There were times when you could get a full sized (150/1500) for less money than the Ranger/Colorado/Dakota models. I've seen ads lately that offer something like $8000 in package discounts, $2000 incentive, and discounted finance rates on all but the new Ram diesel. My primary reason for having a small truck rather than a full size is mileage. I average around 20 in my canyon but would be lucky to get 15 out of a 1500. I know I can hit 22-25 on the highway with no or minimum load. It still meets my needs for hauling stuff I would never dream of putting in the back of my JSW.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13-18 mpgs are about the best I can do in my 1500 V8 chevy pukeup, which is ridiculous when I know that close to 30 could be seen in this thing with V6 or large displacement L4 diesel power!

Funny thing is, in the Australian market the straight 6 rules the market, still offered in auto and Ute offerings today.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
13-18 mpgs are about the best I can do in my 1500 V8 chevy pukeup, which is ridiculous when I know that close to 30 could be seen in this thing with V6 or large displacement L4 diesel power!

Funny thing is, in the Australian market the straight 6 rules the market, still offered in auto and Ute offerings today.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Well, that's only in the Ford Falcon, which is going away in 2016.

The Commodore and related vehicles have either the GM 3.6 DOHC V6, or the fourth-gen SBC V8s. (And, because the Falcon and its factory is going away in 2016, the Commodore and its factory is going away in 2017 due to the suppliers failing.)