Fog Lights

Bulldogger

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf killed by the dealer. 2014 Beetle given as replacement
Should be getting a New 2014 TDI and was wondering if anybody has installed fog lights. For some reason they are not an option on the TDI and was wondering if anyone could recommend a nice kit. Thanks

flydiesel

TDI
2013 Beetle
OEM Fog lights...

Hi. I recently added fog lights to my '13 Beetle coupe. There is a parts list on one of the VW accessories websites, listing the required harness, lamps, and bezels. Not sure if the 14 would be the same...I had intended to do this myself as I'm mechanically inclined, but is very involved and the lower part of the instrument panel needs to come out to gain access to pin the back of the fuse block. I'm the parts manager of a Kia dealership and our group owns the VW store next door too, and even at employee pricing and labor rates I spent probably $1,000 to do this. It's ridiculous that you can't order fogs as an option. I'm really happy with them though and since I plan on keeping this car I spent the money. I did opt to use a euroswitch ordered from ECS tuning rather than the switch listed in the required parts list because I wanted the option of running with just the fogs illuminated with parking lights. The switch in the parts list only allows fogs on with headlamps. Good luck in your quest; not sure if I would recommend running anything aftermarket on such an electrically intense, complex system....we're basically driving a computer with 4 wheels!

Bulldogger

Veteran Member
TDI
I probably am going to go factory set up, but on the beetle you actually have two choices. The newer style that is on the GSR and the older style that they used on the 2012 turbo. Any idea if one is better then the other? Thanks

Bulldogger

Veteran Member
TDI
Okay fog lights are installed, for the TDI the parts needed are as follows:
Left Fog 5c5-941-699a
right Fog 5c5-941-700a

Grilles
left 5c5-854-661-c-9b9
Right 5c5-854-662-9b9

Switch
5C6-941-531-DAPV

Srews to mount fog lights n-909-747-01

Harness I used a 9006 Harness off ebay which worked great and then you will need 9006 to H8 bulb converters.

Parts can be very expensive but if you shop around you can do the whole set up for around $450

A lot cheaper to do after market but it was a new car and I really like the factory look of the VW fogs.

Job is very easy using the 9006 Harness and it comes with the right plug in connector for the factory light switch.

justbugin

TDI
Beetle
Can you give any advice on the removal/assembly of the side grille pieces. It looks like one screw and a bunch of tabs. I need to replace mine and can't figure out how to get it off.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Do the Beetles require wiring through the CECM [lighting control module]? I have a mid-line CECM and need to change it to a highline model to allow the euroswitch to function properly. I also want rear fogs, and that's going to be even difficult to get worked out. do Beetles have this requirement?

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Veteran Member
TDI
Can you give any advice on the removal/assembly of the side grille pieces. It looks like one screw and a bunch of tabs. I need to replace mine and can't figure out how to get it off.
The side grills just pull off. There are several tabs that hold it in place just pull the grills straight out.

Bulldogger

Veteran Member
TDI
Do the Beetles require wiring through the CECM [lighting control module]? I have a mid-line CECM and need to change it to a highline model to allow the euroswitch to function properly. I also want rear fogs, and that's going to be even difficult to get worked out. do Beetles have this requirement?
I used the Factory fog light switch not the euro one. I also used the 9006 harness off ebay for the jetta. You only need to hook one wire into the factory switch the rest of the wiring is under the hood with a premade wire harness everything need is on the harness. I did not go through the CECM module. By bypassing the module it allows you to use fog lights with high beams and not having to program it using VAG. If you go through the BCM the way VW illustrates it you can use the VAG to control how the fog lights stay on. You can program the Fogs to be on with high beams you can also program the fogs to act as cornering lights, when turn signals are used fog light on that side will illuminate as long as the speed is under 35mph.

Hintertux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI DSG Candy White
what was the overall cost to put fog lights in and have it work as cornering lights?

just the parts I would want to do the work myself

Bulldogger

Veteran Member
TDI
what was the overall cost to put fog lights in and have it work as cornering lights?

just the parts I would want to do the work myself
The two fog light assemblies were 159.80 each (Dealer)
The two bezels for fog lights were 46.99 each (Rock Auto)
The fog light/Headlight factory switch I got for 19.99 (ebay)
The harness was the Piaa fog light harness for a Jetta 50.00 (ebay)
Then two 9006 to H11 adapters for 6.85 (ebay)

Total cost was $490.42 and about 45 minutes of my time.

For you to do it you will need the Factory wire harness for the Beetle which is 129.00 then you will need the VAG tool to program the system as you will have to wire into the BCM module. VAG tool is around $229 I really see no point to go that route as the fog light will only come on as cornering lights under 35mph, when using the turn signal. I would just rather put them on and leave them on but that is just me.

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Bulldogger...

Do you have any pics?
I have pictures of the car finished. They are in the new beetle picture gallery on this forum under MOMMA'S NEW RIDE.
Installed the fogs and a tail at home, and my buddy did the window tint. Also added a back off flasher to the third brake light, real good attention getter. I always use them on my motorcycle so figure why not on her car. Had the rear hatch panel off anyway when I was installing the tail. Then finished it off with OEM mud flaps. Makes the plain Jane diesel beetle look sweet. When the weather breaks in NY I will be adding in the Malone stage 3 tune and dumping the DPF.