How can I prevent this? Steering wheel schmutz

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
Hi all,
As I near the turn-in date, I'm thinking about ways to take care of my new car better than the one I have now (Which I got used). One thing that's always bugged me is the build up on the steering wheel. At first I thought maybe it was the outside wearing down, not build up on the inside, but as you can see in the pic, it's building up around the buttons too (I made little scratches in it). I have a feeling the short answer is "clean it, dummy", but recommendations on specific cleaners would be appreciated as well!

Thanks all.

BJS02

TDI
'15 Passat SE 6MT
Cleaning will keep the buildup from happening as will frequent hand washing and not eating while driving. As for what cleaner since these wheels are wrapped in leather a good leather cleaner or any armor-all type cleaner/preservative will work well.

bennybmn

Veteran Member
TDI
(Formerly) '11 Jetta 6 speed, Alltrack 6MT
Thanks. I'll try cleaning the wheel with a good cleaner/protector first thing when I get the new car, maybe that will help. I have a toddler, so having clean hands after putting him in the car isn't always a thing lol

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I used some simple green on my son's car. that thing was not, shall we say, kept tidy.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I wouldn't use Simple Green on leather. Use a gentle leather cleaner, or leather wipe. It's possible to scrub the coating off the leather, which will leave it looking dull and in a state where it attracts a lot of dirt.

-J

manny_c44

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
Lexol leather cleaner works great and is very inexpensive, I use it on my 2 audis and have had no problems, super smooth and clean steering wheels.

verboten1

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta '02 5 door "20th"
magic eraser and lexol, even though you may not remember it (I know I didn't), the leather is not super glossy on a new steering wheel.

i just erased with the cleaner and then I conditioned all of my interior in the jetta, it's so much nicer now.

Last edited:

buyingconstant7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
You don't need a fancy, expensive cleaner at all. Buy a basic Mr. Clean magic eraser, or maybe 2, and get a bucket of warm water(soap is optional), and just go to town, not only will it get out the oil, sweat and other grime that the leather absorbs, but it will restore much of the matte finish the leather had from brand new, so it won't be that shiny, glossy mess that leather steering wheels get to with age. My 2013 Jettas steering wheel was starting to shine up at around 40,000 miles. Bought a Magic Eraser and spent less than 5 minutes just going over the whole steering wheel, took a towel and dried it, and it looks brand new again. I'd do this every oil change or so, will keep it looking new forever, that way.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Wash your hands more and or wear driving gloves, especially after work or using handcream, etc...
Simpler than regular cleaning....And at some point the finish will fail.