www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old January 11th, 2018, 07:15   #1
Exenos
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Golf
Default Manual glow plugs or ECU controlled?

I'm finishing up the last few bits of wiring on my truck and I'm trying to decide what to do with the glow plugs. Should I run them manually or let the ecu control them? I tend to lean towards manual control of stuff so I guess really what I'm asking is are there any real reasons to have the ecu control them or is that just a convenience?
Exenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 07:24   #2
PickleRick
Veteran Member

I second this question and can the ecu be made to not throw a code with manual glow plugs.
Old January 11th, 2018, 07:25   #3
compu_85
Gadget Guy

Why not have the ECU control them? Then you get afterglow and correctly timed preglow. It's just a few wires, hardly any more than doing a manual setup.

-J
2013 Fiat 500e. 33,000 miles.
99.5 Jetta "GLX" TDI. 323,000 miles. Power Memory Seats, HIDs 11mm pump, BV39 Turbo, RCIII 36/47 MPG.
1991 Mercedes 350SDL 230,000 miles, 70,000 on engine. 18/27 MPG.
Past:
2012 Passat SE TDI DSG. 114,000 miles. LED tails, Memory Seat, HIDs. Bought back by VW.
2004 Touareg V10 TDI. 165,000 miles. Sold to Matt98AHU w/ flat camshafts.
1988 Audi 5000S Quattro, 1992 Jetta ECOdiesel, 1991 Jetta ECOdiesel.
Thank you for giving me the BUG*PWR award. It means a lot to me!

Check out the official TDIClub Chat Room!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUSSELS BELGIAN View Post
Maybe I should pay MYSELF to do bad work on my car!
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 07:41   #4
PickleRick
Veteran Member

I dont know about him but on my bhw swap simplicity. I dont use the boat unless the water is warm enough to swim in. That means it's May and lows in The 60s.
Old January 11th, 2018, 07:44   #5
compu_85
Gadget Guy

I'd still want the glow plugs to run every time (which they do even when warm, for the after-run period)... if they never cycle they can get carbon buildup, and then get stuck in the head.

-J
compu_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 08:24   #6
PickleRick
Veteran Member

Good point...
Old January 11th, 2018, 12:37   #7
vtpsd
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 45mpg avg

let the ECU do it! Its a great feature of the TDI. All the work to swap a TDI into something only to disable one of its great features? Makes no sense to me.
Old January 11th, 2018, 13:23   #8
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2018 to end of April 2019

Not the same, but I had 2 cylinder Volvo in my sailboat and it was a pig to start without glow plugs.

I would in this case go automatic, no guessing when and how long to cycle glow plugs.
Old January 13th, 2018, 08:22   #9
QuickTD
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickleRick View Post
I dont know about him but on my bhw swap simplicity.
Simplicity on a BHW would be accomplished by leaving the glow plug system as-is. The glow relay is integrated into the engine wiring harness and does not require any outside wiring other than a 50 amp fused battery feed.

Also, BHW glow plugs (depending on version) are either 5volt or 7volt and require a PWM controller to operate from a 12volt source. The factory glow plug relay is not actually a relay, it is a PWM power amplifier. The ECU drives it with a PWM signal. The glow "relay" also reports individual glow plug current back to the ECU to sense glow plug failure.
QuickTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 11:34   #10
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

If you have the ECU installed I see no reason not to let it perform this function, as others have said it provides the post-start glow cycle function too so it has a lot of benefit.

In this case it relieves you of having to push and hold a button for some unknown amount of time too.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 20:50   #11
Exenos
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 Golf

Alright, fine. I guess I'll just let the ecu do its thing. And here I was hoping I could add another switch to my dash...
Exenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2018, 19:35   #12
PickleRick
Veteran Member

If you do decide on manual glow plugs dont use a switch unless it opens back up automatically. If you forget to turn it off, you can drain your battery and kill your glow plugs at The same time.

I usually used an old push button style. Count to five and start.
Old January 15th, 2018, 12:52   #13
Hasenwerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exenos View Post
Alright, fine. I guess I'll just let the ecu do its thing. And here I was hoping I could add another switch to my dash...

You CAN also have a manual switch as well. One of the wires to the glow plug relay goes low when the ECU wants to turn it on. You can connect to that wire, ground it with your switch and the glow plug relay will turn on. Now, if the ECU then throws an error or not is another question.

I can't really see a need for this though as the ECU does a good job at regulating the glow plugs. You can via software change how long and what temperature the glow plugs active too.
Hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote