www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You




Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+)

VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) Discussion area for the 2012+ Passat TDI (North American and rest of world versions versions). The North American model was previously codenamed NMS (New Midsize Sedan) and the version the rest of the world gets is sometimes referred to as B7.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 2nd, 2018, 19:27   #91
unixb0y
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
It's not just about money . . . For us, at least, that's way down the list . . . likely for some others as well . . . The cheapskate solution is often not the best, and myself, I think there is significant value in knowing overall vehicle history as opposed to inheriting someone else's problem child . . . even if cheaper . . .
I agree with the above but one of the reason's why i'm considering replacing our 2013 6MT Passat with a 2015 is the 10 Year Warranty on 2015's.

I'm starting to look at our options (Passat or Jetta Wagon). There seems to be a good amount of 2015's with less than 50Kmiles available in Canada. I hope to know what is available in VW's bought back inventory later this week.

I'm pretty sure that I won't have walk around money after the trade though.
unixb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 07:56   #92
16vjohn
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
It's not just about money . . . For us, at least, that's way down the list . . . likely for some others as well . . . The cheapskate solution is often not the best, and myself, I think there is significant value in knowing overall vehicle history as opposed to inheriting someone else's problem child . . . even if cheaper . . .
Your position on this thread is clear, and you do have some valid points. Except that in this case, this isn't a trivial amount of money. I had a free car for 2 years and put $3,800 in my pocket above and beyond what I paid for it. Today, I could turn around and buy the same car with similar miles and specs for $10,000 less than the buyback price. If ~$14,000 is worth knowing the history to you, then you must make a lot more money than I do.
__________________

15 Jetta TDI 31k // 11 Ford Fusion
Retired: 13 Passat, Buyback // 01 Jetta TDI 177k // 98 Jetta TDI 291k // 00 Jetta TDI 240k // 91 300D 2.5T // 90 Jetta TD
16vjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 08:53   #93
BKmetz
Administrator
 
BKmetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1997
Location: Illinois
Fuel Economy: 50 MPG
Default

How I broke it down.

Keep my 2014: No fix, no warranty, no dealer support, no restitution. You are on your own.
Sell my 2014: Buy-back amount ~$21k

Buy a 2015: Known bug-free fix for phase-1, huge extended warranty, long term support from VW, huge extended warranty after the phase-2 fix. Found one for just under ~$17k

As I don't care about tunes, DPF deletes, and stuff. So having a stock 2015 is a deal I couldn't pass up.

__________________
Brian, 2015 Passat SE TDI 6MT, 2014 Passat SE TDI 6MT sold back to VW on 1-3-18
Wifey, 2014 Passat SE 2.5

If ANYONE receives a PM/email from a TDIClub member shilling anything and they are NOT a registered vendor, please forward the PM/emails to me. To report spam, trolling, or any problem post, click the report post icon. (The icon in the actual problem post, not the one in my sig. The idiots know who they are... )
BKmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 09:48   #94
tadawson
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lewisville, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16vjohn View Post
Your position on this thread is clear, and you do have some valid points. Except that in this case, this isn't a trivial amount of money. I had a free car for 2 years and put $3,800 in my pocket above and beyond what I paid for it. Today, I could turn around and buy the same car with similar miles and specs for $10,000 less than the buyback price. If ~$14,000 is worth knowing the history to you, then you must make a lot more money than I do.
I didn't buy the car expecting windfall profits due to a gov't poo flinging contest, and that has not changed. My car met my needs when I bought it, and that also has not changed. I'll probably take the fix and $$$, but not because I somehow feel entitled . . . but, as noted, for the warranty . . . (My wife would likely kill me, but I've actually thought about declining the $$$ . . . getting paid for not being harmed in any way just bugs me . . . ).

And yes, the variables are a bit different for the 'no fix' crowd, but most is the same . . . Can't comment on income, but values are also a factor . . .

Oh, and I think 'no dealer support' is speculative at best, and closer to fear mongering . . . . the parts on these are 99% plus common across the model, and won't suddenly evaporate due to marks on a sheet of paper . . .

Last edited by tadawson; January 3rd, 2018 at 09:53.
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 10:13   #95
16vjohn
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Default

There were actual laws broken, and actual financial damage done to owners on car values. Actual statutory criminal offenses. Argue the merits of the emissions, sure, but regardless of merit they are law right now. The issue is so much deeper than you make it out to be. I fully respect your decision and points, but I completely disagree and think most people would also disagree. This is evident by the fix/buyback rate observed thus far.

But to get the fix and deny the money is absolute lunacy..... ... .. .
__________________

15 Jetta TDI 31k // 11 Ford Fusion
Retired: 13 Passat, Buyback // 01 Jetta TDI 177k // 98 Jetta TDI 291k // 00 Jetta TDI 240k // 91 300D 2.5T // 90 Jetta TD
16vjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 10:35   #96
BroncoAZ
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
I didn't buy the car expecting windfall profits due to a gov't poo flinging contest, and that has not changed. My car met my needs when I bought it, and that also has not changed. I'll probably take the fix and $$$, but not because I somehow feel entitled . . . but, as noted, for the warranty . . . (My wife would likely kill me, but I've actually thought about declining the $$$ . . . getting paid for not being harmed in any way just bugs me . . . ).

And yes, the variables are a bit different for the 'no fix' crowd, but most is the same . . . Can't comment on income, but values are also a factor . . .

Oh, and I think 'no dealer support' is speculative at best, and closer to fear mongering . . . . the parts on these are 99% plus common across the model, and won't suddenly evaporate due to marks on a sheet of paper . . .
I have great morals, but I see no problem taking VWs money for their tanking the value on my Touareg because of their misdeeds. They damaged my resale right about the time I was going to trade in my 2011 Touareg for a 2016. My trade in value went from close to $30K to we dont even want it to $15K in a matter of months. They also made the 2016 unavailable, denying me of the vehicle I wished to purchase. I had to purchase an extended warranty ($2500) and keep driving my 2011 as a result. They are buying back my Touareg for $36,237 in February. I am certainly being made whole and then some, but I was damaged.
__________________
My Daily: 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT, 2011 Touareg TDI - Being bought back in February 2018

My Truck: 2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins
Wheelin Rig: 1987 Ford Bronco http://www.supermotors.net/registry/13
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 16:28   #97
tadawson
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lewisville, TX
Default

I have no plan to sell - I run my cars full lifecycle, so the 'decreased value' argument really is a non-issue to me, so, I still feel zero damage (and exceeding arbitrary numbers on emissions still does not damage *ME*, but sure produced red butt with the EPA, but I digress . . . I've said my bit, so will let this go, but *please* don't feed me sunshine that I have been damaged when I cannot find any . . . that I cannot stay quiet about . . .
tadawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 14:44   #98
Lincoln
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Seattle, WA
Default

BKmetz, I think I'm going to do the exact same thing as you. I test drove a 2015 DSG today, and it was perfectly fine, but lacked what I really love about my 2013 MT - that incredible torque and control. Any tips for finding one? Looks like there are only 15 listed nation-wide on Autotrader right now, and many are asking totally unreasonable prices.
Lincoln is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 20:55   #99
BKmetz
Administrator
 
BKmetz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1997
Location: Illinois
Fuel Economy: 50 MPG
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln View Post
BKmetz, I think I'm going to do the exact same thing as you. I test drove a 2015 DSG today, and it was perfectly fine, but lacked what I really love about my 2013 MT - that incredible torque and control. Any tips for finding one? Looks like there are only 15 listed nation-wide on Autotrader right now, and many are asking totally unreasonable prices.
I just kept searching and searching until I found the one I wanted. Back in Oct there were well over 200 2015 TDI DSGs out there and 4 2015 Passat TDI 6MT in the whole country. After many phone calls working the deal and arranging travel logistics, I was able to fly out, buy the car, and drive it back. It's all supply and demand. I pounced when there was more supply.

Good luck!

__________________
Brian, 2015 Passat SE TDI 6MT, 2014 Passat SE TDI 6MT sold back to VW on 1-3-18
Wifey, 2014 Passat SE 2.5

If ANYONE receives a PM/email from a TDIClub member shilling anything and they are NOT a registered vendor, please forward the PM/emails to me. To report spam, trolling, or any problem post, click the report post icon. (The icon in the actual problem post, not the one in my sig. The idiots know who they are... )
BKmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 15:07   #100
Rico567
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Central IL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoAZ View Post
<snip> I had to purchase an extended warranty ($2500) and keep driving my 2011 as a result. <snip>
No one has to purchase an extended warranty; you chose to purchase an extended warranty. This, therefore, cannot count as any part of damages done to you.
__________________


"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 15:33   #101
BroncoAZ
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico567 View Post
No one has to purchase an extended warranty; you chose to purchase an extended warranty. This, therefore, cannot count as any part of damages done to you.
I disagree. After purchasing a 2009 Jetta TDI and having it blow up at 75K miles (extended warranty eating $9K in repair costs) I had to purchase an extended warranty to continue driving my 2011 Touareg rather than selling it for peanuts and buying something else. The extended warranty on the Touareg picked up the lift gate motors ($1200) and several non covered DEF related repairs, far more than $2500 worth. I will not own one of these cars out of warranty.
__________________
My Daily: 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT, 2011 Touareg TDI - Being bought back in February 2018

My Truck: 2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins
Wheelin Rig: 1987 Ford Bronco http://www.supermotors.net/registry/13
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CARB/EPA reject proposed fix 12-14 2.0L Passat Manual Vehicles drsven Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal 62 October 1st, 2017 20:56
Will there be an Approved Fix for Pre 2016 NMS Passats? unixb0y VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) 18 August 10th, 2016 11:09
FS: '12 Jetta TDI 6SP manual 41K / $16800 / offer - San Antonio, TX TDISouthTX TDI Cars for Sale/Wanted 1 August 12th, 2014 20:44
12' TDI 6sp clutch issues?? thaghost VW MKVI-A6 Jetta Sedan (~ 2011+) 12 September 10th, 2012 14:41
Hello everyone ('12 Grey 4dr 6sp) thegrey Golf TDI Picture Gallery 2 July 6th, 2012 10:44


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright - TDIClub Online LTD - 2017
Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Forum Rules | Disclaimer
TDIClub Online Ltd (TDIClub.com) is not affiliated with the VWoA or VWAG and is supported by contributions from viewers like you.
1996 - 2017, All Rights Reserved
Page generated in 0.15488 seconds with 13 queries
[Output: 111.87 Kb. compressed to 95.81 Kb. by saving 16.06 Kb. (14.36%)]