'04 Passat 2.0L TDI Wagon: Turn Signals Quit- blowing fuse

CalebHart

TDI
2004 VW Passat Wagon - BHW 2.0L TDI
Exactly a week ago I was driving back from a two hour trip on the interstate and I put my turn signal on to change lanes and no clicking, no lights, no signals. Completely dead.

Facts:
-Hazard flashers still work fine, and all four amber lights flash on the outside.

-When I replace the 10a fuse for turn signals it blows soon after I test the signals again.

-Turn Signals do not work, inside or outside.

-Hi Beam/Low Beam works.

-Cruise control works.

I have heard on other threads that some who used ArmorAll wipes on their dash area and instrument panel clear plastic front had issues with turn signals later. Their symptoms, however, are not at all like mine. My signals just don't work at all. For the record, Last time I used ArmorAll wipes to clean my dash and all was around 3-4 weeks ago.

Any ideas, insights, or opinions?

stamp11127

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 2003 Jetta 5sp 2005 Passat Wagon 5sp project
Take all the bulbs out and inspect them for the filament supports shorting out inside the bulb. While they are out replace the fuse and test the turn signals. If the fuse blows you have a short to ground, which is a joy to find if you like electrical work.

For the ArmorAll to effect the circuit you would have to pour it into the connections not wipe it on some plastic.

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
^ this check all the bulbs.

Does the fuse blow turning in both directions?

If so, then you have a different issue. If it only blows left or right, you likely have a bad bulb or wiring on that side.

CalebHart

TDI
All of my 'turn signal' bulbs work and flash when I press the hazard lights button. Would they react differently with turn signal initiation instead of hazards?

peiphil

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat GLS TDI and big old Dodge Cummins TDI
4 way flashers use all the same bulbs and wiring as the signal lights do including the mirror lights if that helps !
Might be something in the turn signal lever switch itself ?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
If hazard and all 4 corners work, then as QTD says it is the CAM or your turn signal stalk. Time to pull the carpet under the floor board

boobap

TDI
BHW
I just recently discovered that my passenger side blinkers stopped working while doing my BSM delete (blown fuse). After I pulled the headlight housing out...Most of the wires inside the housing were cracking and even some were completely bare. I was going to order new harness for each side, but they were $50 each side...got new housings instead. My theory is that since the daytime running lights don't shut off, I believe that the wires heat up and deteriorate over time...causing my shortage...DRL relay has been pulled...

CalebHart

TDI
boobap, I have brand new headlight housing assemblies and bulbs on both driver and passenger side front as of a few months ago. Been catching up these things.

- Some of my door locks have not been functioning properly for some time, both by remote keyfob and by the door mounted switch.

- All windows function properly.

After re-reading QuickTD's comment I suspect the problem to be the Comfort Control Module (CCM) which is mounted underneath the driver side carpet where moisture can get to it.
I am going to pull it and open it tomorrow morning. Will update after.

CalebHart

TDI
Pulled the CCM box and opened it up. Dry as a bone. No moisture even in the floor. All the wire insulation is clean and no corrosion anywhere.
As of yesterday my four-way flashers stop flashing when I lock/unlock the car with the keyfob remote. I am stumped.

CalebHart

TDI
SOLVED.
Hit a trash can that was too far out in the road around a blind corner a few months ago and it knocked part of my passenger mirror off, exposing the turn signal circuit contacts. Over time the contacts came together and touched, shorting out my turn signals/flashers circuit and blowing the fuse repeatedly. Took me forever to deduce it to that. Thanks for all the insight.