New to TDI but not VW

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Hi folks, I'm new to TDI but not new to MK3. I have two others, a VR6 and GTI.
Just bought this 99 MK3 TDI and have been doing my research on here as well as the usual maintenance you would find on an older car.
here the car

Got is cheap do to a busted shift tower

replaced the busted tower

Got rid of the bird cage and installed the Mk4 in cabin air cleaner housing

Found this and followed it under the car

And found this under the car?????

Its not connected and the car runs. Any insight in this would be helpful .

Thanks

Last edited:

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
the TDI's injection pump pulls its own fuel from the tank. no lift pump is required for the car to run. it can be helpful in modified cars with higher fueling needs though.

the previous owner may have been using that pump for a veggie oil system or as a bandaid to hide issues such as bad pump seals, clogged fuel filter, or air getting into the fuel system from a variety of places.

the tdi pump doesnt like to see more than ~10psi being pumped into it anyway so if that is pumping at a higher pressure than that, you will want to regulate it down or just get rid of it.

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
the TDI's injection pump pulls its own fuel from the tank. no lift pump is required for the car to run. it can be helpful in modified cars with higher fueling needs though.

the previous owner may have been using that pump for a veggie oil system or as a bandaid to hide issues such as bad pump seals, clogged fuel filter, or air getting into the fuel system from a variety of places.

the tdi pump doesnt like to see more than ~10psi being pumped into it anyway so if that is pumping at a higher pressure than that, you will want to regulate it down or just get rid of it.
Thank you sir, There is no power to it and the IP looks new with no leaks what so ever was well as the fuel filter. I'll just remove it and plum the fuel line. Its been a big learning curve for me and still learning... Once i get all the usual issues sorted out and have a good running TDI i'll try some Mods.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Good move to replace the standard outside blower intake with the Mk4 filtered setup. I replaced mine several years back and don't regret it at all. I replaced the no filter setup on the B3V with one from a B4 when I replaced the hvac airbox. It sure keeps a lot of the dirt in the air from getting in the cabin.

Undercarriage looks clean as I would expect from a FL car, nice find!

Steve

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Good move to replace the standard outside blower intake with the Mk4 filtered setup. I replaced mine several years back and don't regret it at all. I replaced the no filter setup on the B3V with one from a B4 when I replaced the hvac airbox. It sure keeps a lot of the dirt in the air from getting in the cabin.

Undercarriage looks clean as I would expect from a FL car, nice find!

Steve
Thanks Steve. All my MK3 have that in cabin air filter housing. There are cheap and plenty at my local pick and pull.

This is why i do it. All three where like this when i bought them.

Last edited:

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
A lift pump can be super helpful for filter changes. Obviously that particular one allows draw through when the pump isn't powered, that's a key feature. It's worth keeping around just so you can prime the system if necessary.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
A lift pump can be super helpful for filter changes. Obviously that particular one allows draw through when the pump isn't powered, that's a key feature. It's worth keeping around just so you can prime the system if necessary.

Thank you for that very useful info. So i can use the pump to prime the fuel filter?

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Picked up a few for stuff at the pick and pull today
Some smoke taillight and going to swap out the rear drums to disk. Just need to get a set of E brake cables.

Last edited:

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you for that very useful info. So i can use the pump to prime the fuel filter?
Exactly! The injection will quite happily flow fuel through when fed by a lift pump even if the engine is not running. I have a similar type of pump on my Jetta. Filter changes are super simple.

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Ok guys looking to delete the EGR and maybe the EGR coolant on this TDI. Having an issue finding the right one. I have a '99 MK3 1.9. The engine code says 1Z in the trunk but have read the it could also be a AHU, No sure which one to get. If anyone could point me in the right direction would be very helpful. I have pulled the intake hose on the EGR and it seems like this intake has been cleaned before which is a good thing.
Thanks in advance for all and any help.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Being in Florida, I doubt the egr is too useful....

If you can live with a CEL, all you need are blanking plates. If you don't want the CEL, you're going to need a tune.

I think you can just run a coupler for the hoses.

-Todd

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Being in Florida, I doubt the egr is too useful....

If you can live with a CEL, all you need are blanking plates. If you don't want the CEL, you're going to need a tune.

I think you can just run a coupler for the hoses.

-Todd
Thanks for posting...
That is what i'm looking for but there are so many different types that i'm confused as to which one i need. Are the Plates the same for 1Z,AHU, AHL and so on?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not sure about AHL, but 1Z and AHU are the same.

-Todd

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Well its a step in the right direction. So the heat here in Florida have no effect on the EGR as far as clogging up like some of the threads i have read?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ambient temperature isn't part of the equation. If the exhaust doesn't make it into the intake, the soot buildup will never be an issue.

If I lived in Florida, I'd do it again. I say again, because my wagon is deleted and the sedan is not. I notice the sedan warms up much faster.

When it's warm, I shut the egr off through VCDS and when it gets cold, I turn it on. You could just shut yours off, unless you want to do the actual delete.

-Todd

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Its Warm 24/7 here in Florida....Sure we get cold spell here and there but they only last a day or so and its only in the morning. haven't had the TDI that long but it fire up every time no matter what the temps are. As I stated the intake looks like its been cleaned and would like to keep it that way so Deleting, Blanking the EGR is what i want to do. All the plates i see are for an ALH TDI and have not seen any for either 1Z or AHU. Guess I'll have to make my own.

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Found the egr delete plates at IDparts. showed be here next week.
Also got around to converting the rear drums to disk.

Also found some wheels.

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Some nice dish on those wheels. Remind me of Brock B2.

What's the specs and manufacturer?

-Todd

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Some nice dish on those wheels. Remind me of Brock B2.

What's the specs and manufacturer?

-Todd
They are RH Artec 15x7 et37. Trying to find info on the Hub center bore size so i can get the right size ring. Got them from my local Pick and Pull.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Nice find, we don't get that lucky up here in the mid-west.

Until recently the pick-n-pulls were taking wheels off when the car came in and sending them for scrap immediately. Now that scrap has bottomed (even aluminum) they're starting to send cars to the yard with wheels on again. In the mid-west though the wheels are nothing to talk about unless you get really lucky.

Those look very deep because the spokes roll back in quite a ways. I've never been fond of that 'roll' on spokes but I kind of do like those...lol. A big thumbs up on finding those.

Steve

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Thanks Steve, The Pick & Pull here remove all the wheels before staging the cars and place them all at one section of the lot. Its pretty well organized.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Sigh. I miss having a pick and pull around at all! Closest one now is waaay out and doesn't really carry anything older than about 2005 that isn't American.

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
These came in today....Hope i'll have time this weekend to install it.
Thanks ID parts

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Had to replace the Oil cooler seal yesterday. Used a de-greaser to get all the grim off before starting the project.

Fix one issue and now theres another. Seems to be a small fuel leak coming form the back of the pump by the two fuel line closer to the block, just cant seem to pin point where.
Also is there a rebuild kit for the 1Z 10mm?
Any info on this would be helpful.
Thanks

Last edited:

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Installed a new N75 an replaced a few vacuum lines and she running much better. Going to install a boost gauge today.

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
Also is there a rebuild kit for the 1Z 10mm?
Any info on this would be helpful.
Thanks
Make sure that you get the Bosch seal kit. Several vendors here sell 'em.
For sure, do a site search for 'Hammer Mod". It's not too hard to reseal the pump, but you have to be careful, as the engine can runaway if the pump head is not correctly placed. I've done the job 3 times myself w/no problems. and I'm not a rocket surgeon. :)

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Make sure that you get the Bosch seal kit. Several vendors here sell 'em.
For sure, do a site search for 'Hammer Mod". It's not too hard to reseal the pump, but you have to be careful, as the engine can runaway if the pump head is not correctly placed. I've done the job 3 times myself w/no problems. and I'm not a rocket surgeon. :)
Thank you sir..I have seen a great Youtube Vid on replacing the seals. Have to get a Vacom before starting it.

Finished the Boost gauge install and also pulled the ECU to check the last Vacuum hose....Much better and boost is around 15.

Last edited:

quartersaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon, '96 B4V,'99 2 door Golf
Thank you sir..I have seen a great Youtube Vid on replacing the seals. Have to get a Vacom before starting it.

Finished the Boost gauge install and also pulled the ECU to check the last Vacuum hose....Much better and boost is around 15.

I recommend that you buy the official Vag-Com cable. I bought mine in 2005, and it has paid for itself many times over. The aftermarket cables are quite limited in what they can do anyway.
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/