Motor mounts

Lock_t

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 5spd 221k
Looking to get a dog bone and possibly motor mounts, wondering if there's any recommendations where to get them and hardware without paying an arm and a leg. Was looking into febi mounts but let's hear whats good

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Mounts aren't that big a deal what brand you go with if yours are shot. Bolts, for the most part it's dealing with the dealer. Some of the vendors have them but your looking same price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dieselmonkey02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
Partsgeek.com, some decent prices.

ECS tuning; they carry a rebuild kit for the dog bone mount. It may be too stiff for your liking though. But it's about half the price of a new one.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I bought a set of OE bushings for the big end of the dog bone mount from Black Forrest Industries for about $8.
I'm guessing that they were refitting OEM mounts with urethane bushings for sport applications and these are the left-over removed bushings.

Lock_t

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 5spd 221k
Thanks for the links and info, does anyone have the thread pitch specs on the bolts for mounts or dogbone? On BFI i found this: (doesn't include thread pitch)
N-905-970-05 10x70mm bolt (qty 1)
N-102-683-04 8x45mm bolts (qty 2)
N-102-466-10 10x30mm bolt (qty 1)

Hey_Allen are these the bushings you were talking about?
http://store.blackforestindustries.com/mk4oedore.html

Is this a viable option or replacing the whole thing better, thoughts?

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
That looks like the ones that I bought, though I could have sworn that they were cheaper. Still cheaper than a whole set though.

From what I'd read here, and my experience with mine, the small bushings are very slow to wear, the large end is what takes the brunt of the wear and tear on the dog bone mount.

If you have a vise to clamp the mount in, just secure it, spin out the two bolts holding the old bushings, and replace with the new ones. Cleaning up the grimy mount is an option while you have it apart.

Make sure to keep the order and orientation of the bushings as you R&R them, but not a difficult task. I did it while I was changing the oil in my engine and transmission, replaced the bushings while letting the pans drain.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
M8x1.25 and m10x1.5... IDPARTS has a good alternative Dog bone and has bolts too. Use an impact to remove them if you can, the quick snap will hopefully break them loose. I used and a ratchet on my first one and snapped the first bolt. Used an impact on the next 2 and they came right out.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
Thanks for the links and info, does anyone have the thread pitch specs on the bolts for mounts or dogbone? On BFI i found this: (doesn't include thread pitch)
N-905-970-05 10x70mm bolt (qty 1)
N-102-683-04 8x45mm bolts (qty 2)
N-102-466-10 10x30mm bolt (qty 1)

Hey_Allen are these the bushings you were talking about?
http://store.blackforestindustries.com/mk4oedore.html

Is this a viable option or replacing the whole thing better, thoughts?
I replaced Dogbone mount on my 2005 and was unhappy with the non OEM stiffness in cold weather. I ended up using the big end mount from an aftermarket Dogbone and the rest is my original with the original big end bushing. The original big end mount was destroyed when I tried to remove it, not unusual if it has seen lots of salt. Using a small 3/8 ratchet the bolts sheared like butter inside the mount. Galvanic corrosion between the aluminum and steel eats the steel and causes the bolts to seize inside the mount. Once the mount was off I could almost remove the rest of the bolts with my fingers.

For some reason I never could figure out the new long piece of the Dogbone would not work with the OEM bushing. The engine sat in the wrong orientation and I had to reef on it to get the vertical bolt in. I had the Dogbone apart and back together in every orientation I could think of then when I went back to the original long end it went in like it was made to first time.

That said if you have cold weather to deal with I would seriously consider the OEM rubber from BFI in your existing Dogbone. Get a cheap aftermarket unit as well so you have options and parts to combine in case you shear the bolts. If the bolts shear the only thing you can do is cut it apart.

Lock_t

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 5spd 221k
M8x1.25 and m10x1.5... IDPARTS has a good alternative Dog bone and has bolts too. Use an impact to remove them if you can, the quick snap will hopefully break them loose. I used and a ratchet on my first one and snapped the first bolt. Used an impact on the next 2 and they came right out.
you're talking about these from idparts?
http://www.idparts.com/dogbone-mount-bolt-kit-a4-p-1078.html
good tip, thank you, im hoping i dont have to deal with that but never know with these things..prep for the worst.

Lock_t

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 5spd 221k
I replaced Dogbone mount on my 2005 and was unhappy with the non OEM stiffness in cold weather. I ended up using the big end mount from an aftermarket Dogbone and the rest is my original with the original big end bushing. The original big end mount was destroyed when I tried to remove it, not unusual if it has seen lots of salt. Using a small 3/8 ratchet the bolts sheared like butter inside the mount. Galvanic corrosion between the aluminum and steel eats the steel and causes the bolts to seize inside the mount. Once the mount was off I could almost remove the rest of the bolts with my fingers.
For some reason I never could figure out the new long piece of the Dogbone would not work with the OEM bushing. The engine sat in the wrong orientation and I had to reef on it to get the vertical bolt in. I had the Dogbone apart and back together in every orientation I could think of then when I went back to the original long end it went in like it was made to first time.
That said if you have cold weather to deal with I would seriously consider the OEM rubber from BFI in your existing Dogbone. Get a cheap aftermarket unit as well so you have options and parts to combine in case you shear the bolts. If the bolts shear the only thing you can do is cut it apart.
i do deal with cold and snow, ive read less than impressed reviews on poly bushings so ive been planning on using oem rubber ones. not sure whos idea it was to put steel and aluminum together but :mad: had my calipers strip out cause of that. but yea im thinking just getting a whole new dogbone may save a bit of frustration. thanks for the info! :cool: :thumbup:

Lock_t

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 5spd 221k
anybody opposed to the idea of just getting some US grade 8 spec bolts instead of the oem mount ones? curious if there would be a difference or reason not to
10x1.5 70mm bolt
8x1.25 45mm bolts
10x1.5 30mm bolt

joncfinney

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Tdi alh
How do you know when the engine mounts need replacing/ is there some sort of interval? symptoms?
03 tdi

Lock_t

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 5spd 221k
Generally if the motor has a lot of shake, ive read/seen that you can pull the ebrake, put it in 1st slowly let the clutch out like halfway and the push it in and if theres a lot of motor movement they're no good.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
anybody opposed to the idea of just getting some US grade 8 spec bolts instead of the oem mount ones? curious if there would be a difference or reason not to
10x1.5 70mm bolt
8x1.25 45mm bolts
10x1.5 30mm bolt
Not me.
Keep in mind that the VW bolts, if they are in fact stretch bolts, will hold better, as in won't back out as easy.
If you do use a standard SAE Grade 8, you'd use the maximum torque for those and not the odd torque sequence called for in the instructions.
To be on the safe side, most of us will recommend the stretch bolt.
Maybe one of the mechanics on here can recommend what they use.

Lock_t

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 5spd 221k
Not me.
Keep in mind that the VW bolts, if they are in fact stretch bolts, will hold better, as in won't back out as easy.
If you do use a standard SAE Grade 8, you'd use the maximum torque for those and not the odd torque sequence called for in the instructions.
To be on the safe side, most of us will recommend the stretch bolt.
Maybe one of the mechanics on here can recommend what they use.
Alrighty makes sense, I just struggle with paying places like ECS 70 bucks for a full bolt kit but I'll hunt them down and plan on using oe vw ones. I think Im just gonna start with replacing the dogbone and go from there.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Try the on-line dealerships, you may find better pricing. Even try haggling with your local dealer.

ritsco

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI GSW SEL and 2006 Golf TDI GLS
I just did the two top mounts and the dogbone. I have a 2006 Golf with 220,000 plus miles of New England and mid-Atlantic roads on her Sprayed some penetrating oil on the bolts about 15 minutes before I started and had no issues changing any of the mounts. I am not a master mechanic, but Youtube is your friend and it wasn't a tough job, even at 20 degrees.

Got my stuff from IDparts. Good stuff, fair price and quick shipping.

Lock_t

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 5spd 221k
Sweet good to know man thanks a bunch that's what I was planning on doing, spraying some PB Blaster then loosen them up

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Sweet good to know man thanks a bunch that's what I was planning on doing, spraying some PB Blaster then loosen them up
PB Blaster is good stuff.
I sprayed my glow plugs for a couple days mostly in the AM going to work, leaving work again, and the last 2 nights when I got home.
The next morning the plugs came right out easier then I would have thought.
Don't think I will buy WD 40 any more.

Lock_t

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 5spd 221k
yea i did read that somewhere, the sae vs metric difference, i just ordered oem ones so i dont have to worry about it

Dieselmonkey02

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta
Any decent dog bone kit will come with new stretch bolts. You could gamble but you might end up with problems that just aren't worth skimping on a few $ worth of bolts.