Front tyres

BAZ3713

TDI
GT TDI
Hey everyone, was wondering if any 1 had some advice on what tyres would be best for my golf 2.0 GT tdi, I bought the car with 16k on it and VW put 2 new front tyres on the car for me and they only lasted 10k, I then put toyo proxes on the car at 26k and now it has just turned 31k and they only have 4mm left, I dnt drive fast and my commute everyday is mostly motorway miles, the tyres are wearing 100% evenly.
Is this because the tyres i am buying or is it just a the type of car. What mileage are all you guys getting and is there any specific tyres i should buy.
Thanks barry. ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Hey everyone, was wondering if any 1 had some advice on what tyres would be best for my golf 2.0 GT tdi, I bought the car with 16k on it and VW put 2 new front tyres on the car for me and they only lasted 10k, I then put toyo proxes on the car at 26k and now it has just turned 31k and they only have 4mm left, I dnt drive fast and my commute everyday is mostly motorway miles, the tyres are wearing 100% evenly.

Is this because the tyres i am buying or is it just a the type of car. What mileage are all you guys getting and is there any specific tyres i should buy.
Thanks barry. ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Something is wrong with this picture ~~ don't know what

Are you saying 5,000 miles on your TOYO tire are about shot?

I'm no fan of TOYO ~~ I'm still on my Original VW tires, as I only have a few miles.

Wish I could say something helpful.:confused:

snoopy

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, Cyber green
Even though your tires are wearing evenly, 5,000 miles on a set of tires is not right.

Michelin and Continental tires have always been good for me. Both manufacturers offer (in the US at least) a harder compound for longer tire life. I can get 70,000 miles out of a set of Michelin Defender tires without compromising my driving style...

big_red

TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2011 Jetta TDI
Your alignment is probably out of whack if your tires are wearing that quickly. I would get it checked before putting on new tires.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Toyo slaps "Proxes" on its tires like Samsung uses "Galaxy" -- the brand covers lots of different tires with different purposes. Knowing which specific model would help, but it would have to be one of the all-out performance models being driven hard to give you just 5000 ticks (Glasgow -- km?).

The other posters are right -- get your vehicle to a shop that's known for doing alignments (this likely will not be the dealer) and have them check it out. Wouldn't hurt to make sure the tires are in balance, either, though you likely would feel severe imbalances through the steering wheel.

I get 30-40,000 miles per set of summer or winter tires. 5,000? It's not the car's design -- it's something else.